It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glover Locomotive Works Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 am 

I remember seeing an article in the dearly departed Locomotive & Railway Preservation about the efforts to save the artifacts and locomotives from the Glover Locomotive Works. I just looked through my entire collection of L&RP but could not find is, so either I am hallucinating or I missed it somewhere. Anyone know which issue that was in, or if it existed at all?

Post subject: Re: Glover Locomotive Works Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:53 pm 

That was me......and I sent all my old Eleanor P issues to Jack, so can't help you with that. Happy to answer any questions you may have directly.

The stuff that was saved ended up at the Kennesaw, Georgia museum that also holds the GENERAL in an old cotton gin.

dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:09 pm 

It's truly amazing how late that all the Glover stuff was still in one place, I had no idea of that until recently.
Dave wrote:
The stuff that was saved ended up at the Kennesaw, Georgia museum that also holds the GENERAL in an old cotton gin.
The Glover display there is almost as cool as the General itself. There's an entire wall of wooden forms and castings. Really cool for anyone who's ever dabbled in blacksmithing.
There's another Glover locomotive on display in nearby Marietta but I was running out of time on my visit there and decided to press on and not go looking for something I wasn't exactly sure where it was: http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1419
Anyone interested in the subject seriously needs this book, I bought a copy at Kennesaw: http://www.amazon.com/Glover-Steam-Locomotives-Souths-Builder/dp/0911581405

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 pm 

I was down in Kennesaw a couple of weeks ago and took these photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33523379@ ... 950321886/

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll get one headed my way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:55 pm 

Yeah, I have to chuckle when I see the clean and orderly displays.......

Glovers was anything but that. You couldn't take 3 steps without tripping over something that went on something else, fell off something else, or just had noplace better to be and nobody knew what it was for. Every day there was like a scavenger hunt with really cool things that hadn't moved since 1958.........except when the wooden shelving that supported them collapsed.

It is a cool display, but maybe 2% as cool as the real thing. It was a privilege working there. Perhaps another time warp will allow us to recreate that reality again?

dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:28 pm 

Dave,

Can you say a bit more about what Glover was like in those last days?

Thanks!

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 pm 

Like stepping back in time. This is at least a two pint discussion........

dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:38 pm 

Hi,

Just as a correction, there has never been a Glover Locomotive Works.

The Glover locomotives were build by Glover Machine Works.

Easy error but little known.

Since I was planning on offering some HO scale (HO and HOn3 and HOn30) and N scale locomotives and have lived in Atlanta for some +45 years, my locomotives (not models of GMW) are under development in the name of Glover Locomotive Works. I may have confused the original name for my hobby business. Sorry about that.

As an aside, I have partial engineering prototypes for three (3) PRR electrics in HO, a HOn3/HOn30 0-4-4-0, an HOn3 0-6-0t based on Georgia's Roswell Railroad, A PRR electric in N scale and a few others that are plans only.

As another aside, I liked visiting the Glover based Museum in Kennesaw. Unfortunately it is a static display and static displays (unless I am working on measuring a prototype) are not ones that attract me to return.

Doug vV