It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Overall Cost of Recent Steam Restorations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 pm 

boilerwash wrote:
Quote:
You might get a better (and more accurate) response if you let people know why you're doing this study ....e.g. student project, feasibility study, etc.

Student Project.

Dennis Storzek wrote:
As a separate line item... Actual cost plus number of volunteer hours.

Not interested in volunteer hours in the scope of the project. Just pure money spent in dollars (and overall time spent start to finish) in comparison with size and complexity of locomotive.

OK, what level student project -- -

I'm guessing this is probably not a high school term paper because you posted this before most schools started for the fall, but is it for college, grad school or whatever

and you may want to talk to your student advisor as to why it's important to identify why you need the data and what you're going to do with and when you need it by.

You'll also need to explain in your report why you didn't include volunteer hours because if people don't volunteer their time, that effort has to be paid for

(and that applies to lots of projects, not just restoring steam locomotives!

Please let us know where and when we can see the results of your study.

Bob H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm 

David W.

Streetcar restorations can be far less expensive than steam or diesel locomotives, but under $10,000 seems very low for a thorough restoration. You did not mention rewiring, rebuilding the accelerator drum, wheels, gearboxes, truck parts such as rubber wheel inserts & bushings, or any structural work and needed materials. Perhaps the car was in good enough condition so thet these items did not have to be done, or some can be avoided since the car will have only limited use, not being meant for daily operation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 pm 

artschwartz wrote:
David W.

Streetcar restorations can be far less expensive than steam or diesel locomotives, but under $10,000 seems very low for a thorough restoration. You did not mention rewiring, rebuilding the accelerator drum, wheels, gearboxes, truck parts such as rubber wheel inserts & bushings, or any structural work and needed materials. Perhaps the car was in good enough condition so thet these items did not have to be done, or some can be avoided since the car will have only limited use, not being meant for daily operation.

Another possibility is that perhaps someone provided services for less than market value as a courtesy to the musuem. Then again, I have heard directly of restorations that involved next to no work-Pennsylvania Trolley Museum received a PCC donated from Port Authority (PA4004 if I remember correctly). At the ARM Convention in Washington some years back, I had the opportunity to drive the car (which was new to them at the time). The instructor I was with mentioned that they had not originally intended to use the car in operation (having so many other PCCs), but changed their mind when the maintenance staff started poking around the car, discovering all new electronics that PA had installed. All they did was remove the pantograph and install a trolley pole.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:36 pm 

Then figure out what has gone into PRR 1361 so far, and how much is still needed to be spent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 pm 

I did not know 1361 actually operated years ago, I will not bring the K4 into this question, just read the wiki on it, its wait and see on that engine.

The money and circumstance for each engine and organization varies. The original 765 restoration was about determination, and a lot of frugality and innovation on the fly work, and frustrations and successes. I'm not sure if anybody really counted up the man hours then, but it was 4 years of weekend work essentially, give an average of 6-8-10 or so people working on it at various levels.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
dinwitty wrote:
I did not know 1361 actually operated years ago

Attachments:
UMMMMMM3.jpg
UMMMMMM3.jpg [ 5.11 KiB | Viewed 3604 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:41 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
dinwitty wrote:
I did not know 1361 actually operated years ago

You, sir, win the "Comment of the Year" award