It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My work on the restoration of HHB #4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 am 

I will try to update this as much as possible, but there may be times of large gaps.
I have been accepted into the ranks of the North Zealand Veterantog steam restoration and operation group at Rungsted. We are currently tasked with restoring the one off Henschel product HHB #4 which is a 4-6-0T or a 2CT in Denmark. She is about 60% through the restoration, the boiler has already been successfully hydro tested. We are also tasked with the maintenance of currently operating DSB K class 4-4-0 #582. There are no shortage of projects to do, as we have three other locomotives under cover on the property waiting to be restored! Our restoration group meets every Wednesday and Saturday with no requirement of which you come to. The link for the #4 is http://www.veterantoget.dk/projekter/projekt-hhb-4.aspx Open it with google chrome and it will translate the page.

After the first day of formalities, this Saturday I was put straight to work! I started off by helping one member decide what piece of steel to use for the construction of a new lubricator stand inside the cab on the floor. We ended up deciding on a large and VERY heavy 15mm steel plate. After cutting off a smaller piece, we used an Accetalyne torch and burned out two round disks of the material. The pieces were chucked in an arbor on the lathe and we began turning them to the proper diameter. Unfortunately he left before we could get too much done, but I was soon given another project.

Some member in the past had gone against the lead member and the drawings, and made his own cylinder cock piping. The results were six different shaped and angled pipes that look very unruly. I was given the task of making six new ones based off of the drawing with some modifications allowed. After turning off seven nipple rings for the pipes, I got to work on the copper pipe. At first we couldnt find the small pipe bender, so a member and I worked as a team with the larger one to bend the copper pipe...the results did not come out well. Thankfully right before deciding to call it quits we managed to find the correct one. The results were much more beautiful and came out great! This Wednesday I will cut the pieces to the correct angles and lengths and then silver solder the nipple rings to the pipes. Hopefully this small but simple first project should be done very soon!

Attachments:
File comment: HHB #4 sitting in the right bay of the engine house
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 138.97 KiB | Viewed 3564 times ]
File comment: Front view of HHB #4
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 136.58 KiB | Viewed 3564 times ]
File comment: Knud clamping the piece of plate to the welding table
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 146.73 KiB | Viewed 3564 times ]

Veterantoget.dk

Last edited by 10stewi on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My work on the restoration of HHB #4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:00 pm 

more

Attachments:
File comment: the former member's handy work with the cylinder cock pipes. They were bent in more than just the curve visible in the photo with many dents and flats spots. The other side was much worse!
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 131.37 KiB | Viewed 3553 times ]
File comment: Turning the nipples on the lathe (tool was not engaged in cutting during the photo)
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG [ 127.15 KiB | Viewed 3553 times ]
File comment: The result after a late night of work! Finally the copper bent at the correct angel with an even radius curve and without flat spots!
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 118.6 KiB | Viewed 3553 times ]

Veterantoget.dk