It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detroit Streetcars/Trams Up For Bankruptcy Auction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:39 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
http://www.dailydetroit.com/2014/10/23/ ... y-auction/

These appear to be trams 3 and 4, which somehow survived a sell-off back in 2003/2004:

http://www.railwaypreservation.com/vint ... etroit.htm

That article reveals critical points:
Quote:
Detroit owns a fleet of nine single-truck cars, 7 of which are from Libson, Portugal. . . The cars are European 900 mm gauge (2'11-7/16").

Please, no discussion on Detroit and/or the politics of this situation. For now, until someone pulls up a complete article on the rise and fall of this "heritage" operation, focus strictly on whether these are worthwhile rescue candidates.....

Post subject: Re: Detroit Streetcars/Trams Up For Bankruptcy Auction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 am 

Had some contact with one of the architects involved in creating the system a few years back. They have been stored inside but there are only 3 or 4 of the Lisbon cars "available" at the time. Sounds like the rest are unaccounted for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:40 am 

I wonder if there is interest in repatriation? I was smitten by the Lisbon trolley system both vintage and light rail. The older cars run through incredibly small streets and climb steep in-town grades. Pretty cool city in many regards, and the trolleys add significant flavor to the scene.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
http://www.dailydetroit.com/2014/10/23/buy-historic-trolley-cars-and-much-more-at-detroits-bankruptcy-auction/

These appear to be trams 3 and 4, which somehow survived a sell-off back in 2003/2004:

That article reveals critical points:
Quote:
Detroit owns a fleet of nine single-truck cars, 7 of which are from Libson, Portugal. . . The cars are European 900 mm gauge (2'11-7/16").

This article is a good example of yellow journalism as you'll find anywhere ---- (and the bankruptcy court isn't even directly involved!)

there's a much more realistic article at:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /17806819/

Note that all big cities and govt. bodies (including the Federal Govt!) sell surplus equipment from time to time.

Key point in the Detroit News article is any money raised from selling equipment that is no longer needed goes back to the department involved to improve things.

Bob H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Well, to be fair, the Detroit News screwed up, too. They state that "an antique trolley" is up for auction, whereas the DailyDetroit webpage implied two, from the photo from the City itself.

A hard slog through the auction website and catalog shows that THREE cars are listed in one lot:
https://www.hilcoind.com/sale-details?v ... ed53fcc364

And there's something wonky with their website that's not letting me check out lots 31-90.

The City is selling off 75 buses and replacing them with 50 new buses, paid for entirely by a Federal grant, scheduled to arrive in mid-2015. From a Sept. 30 Bloomberg News article on Mayor Duggan:
Quote:
Duggan said the city has 180 buses -- three-fourths of them nine years or older -- and needs 225 to meet schedules that he said have been meaningless for 20 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:28 pm 

I find it interesting that they are selling the double-decker. That car was only supposed to be here for 5 years. The city has possession of the trolley, but they don't own it. I don't see how they can sell it.

Tim Davis
Detroit, MI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm 

Tim Davis wrote:
I find it interesting that they are selling the double-decker. That car was only supposed to be here for 5 years. The city has possession of the trolley, but they don't own it. I don't see how they can sell it.

How do you know they ARE selling the double-decker? All we know for sure is they they're advertising three for sale, two of which were shown in a photo posted by someone in the City (showing 3 and 4, but only 3 had what looked like an auction lot tag visible).

Have you ascertained if the City/auctioneer is indeed selling off the double-decker, which ran as #14 for a time?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:50 pm 

Copied from the brochure downloaded from the Hilco Industrial website (See Alexander D. Mitchell, IV's message above for the link.)

HISTORIC TROLLEY CARS
3 – DETROIT CITIZENS RAILWAY CLOSED TROLLEY CAR, BRITISH
THOMPSON HOUSTON CO. LTD OPEN AIRTROLLEY CAR, BURTON &
ASHBY LIGHT RAILWAY OPEN AIR DOUBLE DECKER TROLLEY CAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:38 pm 

We seem to have a discrepancy between the brochure and the lot catalog, which lists the 3 closed cars as 3 separate lots, no mention there of the open or double deck cars.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm 

Good on you.

I know no-theeng, and Frank Hicks' PNAEC inventory site doesn't list them because they're 3' gauge.

IS the "Detroit Citizens Railway" car a vintage Detroit body, or something relabeled?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:49 pm 

Tim Davis wrote:

Tim Davis
Detroit, MI

Do you remember writing this piece ----

see

Hard to believe it's taken 13 years for this sale to take place.

Bob H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 pm 

Dave wrote:
We seem to have a discrepancy between the brochure and the lot catalog, which lists the 3 closed cars as 3 separate lots, no mention there of the open or double deck cars.

I ran a search for "trolley" in the lot catalog and came up with four separate lots: lots 224, 225 and 226 for one car each, including photos and descriptions, and lot 1050 for three cars with no photos or description. It's conceivable, though far from certain, that the British car is part of lot 1050.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:30 pm 

Bob H,

I did not write any of the information on that website. I supplied information but I did not write anything.

Tim Davis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 am 

Thanks Frank - I tried to open the information on lot 1050 to no avail. Nice if they would share information....

dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 am 

doing a quick google dig it looks like Detroit will build a new system, so what sounds logical is the old cars get sold away as they wouldnt be used.