It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lincoln Car Update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:52 pm 

Posted a couple of new pictures on the replica Lincoln car being constructed by Kloke Locomotive works. view them here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41428530@N03/15470985733/

For more inför go here: http://www.the2015lincolnfuneraltrain.com

Post subject: Re: Lincoln Car Update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:33 am 

The car is looking great so far, and with the metal framework and plywood construction, should last a good time.

Of particular interest though is a "Forney" boiler under construction! Are you at liberty to say what that is for?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:37 am 

The Forney boiler is a standard gauge locomotive for a private individual. The gentleman is a guy on Dave's crew and a big supporter of Dave's "projects".

This is the 4th standard gauge steam locomotive boiler he has built in 8 years. (Leviathan, York, Lyon and Forney)

Once the Lincoln car is complete, the Forney will be finished as well as some period passenger cars. He has no plans to build another 4-4-0 unless someone wants the "Whirlwind". The going rate for a new 4-4-0 is around $2.75 million.

This is a guy that never says something can not be done. He just rolls up his sleeves and does it. He is inspirational! Our industry needs more guys like this. (he is not really a railfan, rather a history buff)

Jason

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:14 pm 

jasonjohnson wrote:
(he is not really a railfan, rather a history buff)

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Kloke in person when his Leviathan visited Steam Into History last November. I found it very fascinating when he explained to me how his locomotive building career stemmed from his strong interest in Mr. Lincoln and general civil war history than anything else. I too share in the admiration of his work. The man has done so much to keep early American rail history alive (a period that I feel is too often neglected, albeit for understandable reasons).

I look forward to hearing more about this new forney under construction. And for that matter, does anyone know what's up with the V&T Lyon Mr. Kloke had a role in constructing? I certainly don't wish to veer this thread in the "railfan" direction but I've been curious and being that we're somewhat on the subject...