It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So you want to find an 0-4-0 in Canada EH?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 pm 

The recent thread seeking information on the whereabouts of a Vulcan 0-4-0 in Alberta prompts a reminder to RYPN members of the existence of a complete coast to coast listing of preserved equipment in Canada.

The Bytown Railway Society(BRS) in Ottawa, Ontario has for years published its Canadian Trackside Guide which lists almost all railway equipment operating in Canada with the notable exclusion of freight cars. This guide includes a section on equipment preserved and or abandoned that resides in museums, private ownership or in storage for future display. You can order a copy through their website: http://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/about.htm

More recently, the Society has made the preserved equipment listing available online in PDF format. It is subdivided into 4 geographical sections. Once you download the file, it can be searched using the “CTRL F” command from your computer. Just enter the text string of your choosing such as “Vulcan” or “0-4-0”. There are a few exceptions for equipment in private ownership where privacy has been requested to the Society, but otherwise if the equipment is in Canada you can find it here.

Enjoy!

Mike N.
Member BRS
(but not an offical spokesman)

Post subject: Re: So you want to find an 0-4-0 in Canada EH?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:50 pm 

Mike,

Thanks for the link.

The pdf I downoaded is not searchable and the locomotive is not listed in Edmonton on a manual search. Can you provide the information on this engine from your copy ofthe database.

Thank you.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 pm 

Wesley,

I can't explain why your search wouldn't work, but scroll to Killam, AB further down the listing.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:22 pm 

Mike,

Thanks!

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 pm 

nowell1 wrote:
The recent thread seeking information on the whereabouts of a Vulcan 0-4-0 in Alberta prompts a reminder to RYPN members of the existence of a complete coast to coast listing of preserved equipment in Canada.

The Bytown Railway Society(BRS) in Ottawa, Ontario has for years published its Canadian Trackside Guide which lists almost all railway equipment operating in Canada with the notable exclusion of freight cars. This guide includes a section on equipment preserved and or abandoned that resides in museums, private ownership or in storage for future display. You can order a copy through their website: http://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/about.htm

More recently, the Society has made the preserved equipment listing available online in PDF format. It is subdivided into 4 geographical sections.

Enjoy!

Mike N.
Member BRS
(but not an offical spokesman)

Mike -

I checked out one of these geographical sections. NICELY DONE!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:39 pm 

nowell1 wrote:
More recently, the Society has made the preserved equipment listing available online in PDF format.

Mike--

Thanks for the info! I hadn't realized that the Trackside Guide was available online. I've already noticed at least one Pullman heavyweight sleeper I hadn't yet accounted for in the long running "Surviving Pullman" thread: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30187

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 pm 

Ted,

What do you know of this listing for a passenger car at the same location with the 0-4-0T?

ACF/J&S PARLOR-OBS ex-W&LE Proteus

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 pm 

wesp wrote:
What do you know of this listing for a passenger car at the same location with the 0-4-0T?

ACF/J&S PARLOR-OBS ex-W&LE Proteus

Not much. Unfortunately I don't have anything in terms of an all-time list of cars built by Jackson & Sharp; what I do have is a basic list of the passenger cars of the Wheeling & Lake Erie, which lists 20 parlor cars (#10-#29), half of which (#20-#29) were later reconfigured to coaches (same numbers). The list doesn't list the builder, date, or what names, if any, were applied to these cars; however, these 2 pictures show that at least some parlors did receive names:

W&LE parlor observation #11 with the name Canton: http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?june12/06-06-12/w_le011p.jpg

W&LE parlor observation #18 (as a coach?) with the name Kent: http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?june12/06-06-12/w_le018p.jpg

So, does anyone has a more detailed W&LE roster that shows what names were applied to which parlor cars?