It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mid-Continent Auction
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:10 am 

The 1385 restoration site has a long description of all the tender issues and options.

And...
Why does Mid Continent not have a working rail connection?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:22 am 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Thanks, Steven. That's a lot of tender drama.

So the tender included in the auction is actually C&NW X263579, originally used by C&NW 1361?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:18 am 

I know nothing about the 2-6-0 other than whatever photos (boiler) are posted on the auction site.

However, I am confused why it is thought to be "too far gone"?

There are steam locos being restored / overhauled often which require boiler off of frame, frame off of wheels, cab off of boiler, new this, new that.

Why is this one any different?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 am 

"Restorable" is a matter of money, ability, and extent of motivation. Everything else is just work. Rather than debate opinions here, perhaps some real images or facts resulting from hands-on surveying can be posted. I'd like to have it in my driveway as a personal project but I can't afford the divorce.

dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:51 am 

Quote:
And...

The connection has a bridge that was damaged in a flood that has not been repaired.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:00 am 

http://www.billperkinsauction.com/aucti ... reedom-wi/

THIS AUCTION IS NOT A LIQUIDATION

BUT HISTORY IN THE MAKING.

THE MUSEUM IS FULL “STEAM AHEAD”

THE MUSEUM HAS ELECTED TO AUCTION TO THE HIGHEST BIDDERS MANY YEARS OF HIDDEN TREASURES THAT DO NOT FIT THE TIME PERIOD OF WHICH THE MUSEUM OPERATES.

ITEMS WILL INCLUDE RARE MEMORABILLIA, & SEVERAL ROLLING STOCK ITEMS.

FUNDS RAISED WILL HELP PROMOTE AND BUILD THEIR NEW STEAM PROGRAM!!!

Here's their collection:

http://www.midcontinent.org/collectn/collect.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:13 am 

HudsonL wrote:
Quote:
And...

The connection has a bridge that was damaged in a flood that has not been repaired.

-Hudson

Was this the result of the storm that kept the 1385 from being at the Chicago NRHS convention in the early 1990s?

I also remember that the 3985 ran into some rain on it's way to Chicago that year.

Bob H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:50 am 

You're thinking of 1993. The MCRM flood damage was more recent, but I couldn't swear to the year--2008 or 9, maybe? That area got the kind of rain we had from Hurricane Ivan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:09 pm 

I've gotta ask, but what would Mid-Continent do with the stuff that doesn't sell? Does it become an open-door "Make me an offer" type deal, or would someone break out the torch on the larger objects that take up a good chunk of space?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:16 pm 

I saw no mention of "reserve" in the ads. So, unless nobody bids, everything should go somewhere somehow. If nobody bids, I'd think holding and trying again in a couple years when we hopefully will have an even stronger economy would make sense, but it isn't my railroad......

dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:03 pm 

The 2-10-0,I was out there over 10 years,give or take a year,I do recall more appliances
in the cab compaired to photo for auction,even if sold for say 100,000 dollars,between
disassemble,rigging & transport east or west of there about another 50,000 then to
restore @ 1.5 million I dont see to many places picking this engine up,its be sitting for
50 years & when I saw it(have pics somewhere,will post)WOW it need ALOT,I dont
see it being sold for scrap value,they would end up just keeping it,but all in all it would
make a great shortline loco,there is alot of other stuff(or was)spread out all over the place
there,Im sure alot of the other stuff will go

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm 

Interesting. They have listed both the Mt. Harvard and CN #5375 for sale. Anyone want a heavyweight Pullman?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:40 pm 

To those interested in the 2-6-0. I have some pictures of frame repair. Not sure if it was build up or repair of a crack or broken frame. Boiler is anybody's guess. The cab is long gone and was not original. Tender is complete, injectors and lubricator was stolen some time ago when MC got "free help" from local gov. agency to help with flood damage/recovery. Pistons and rods are MIA. Story was they were returned to MC but I have looked high and low and never found them? The cyl and drive wheels were half buried in the mud for years. Tires are gone {totally worn out} will need tires and probably axles {guessing on axels}. Look at pics when the locomotive was complete and running. No air brakes or excess piping. Think most threshing engines came with more options. Did have a dynamo and front/rear headlights. I knew where the back up lite was not sure about headlight. I think it could easily be restored, but for sure many of the moving parts will need to be made new as the originals are junk or missing. The cross heads are another example of parts needing replacing. The dome lid is off steam dome but there, not sure if the throttle was removed or not. I hope not as I haven't seen any unidentified throttle body/valves laying around. I was a kid when this thing ran and remember riding in the cab when used for switching. One of the coolest engines MC had. Yes it needs everything. but it never had much more than the bare basics. A sister to this locomotive exists in AK as a 2-6-2 and was built very close to this one. If I were restoring the #2 I would sneak up to AK and check it out further maybe. The biggest concern I would have on this locomotive would be a thorough inspection of the complete saddle/cyl casting as it sat open in the weather for many years. Same for driver wheels, they were buried in mud. Not sure if that would of damaged them somehow or not, but I would take a close look to assess them anyway for any obvious problems. Everything that might need replacing does need replacing, shoes, wedges, crown brass, rod brass it is a true kit but an easy one as far as quantity of parts. Like comparing a model T Ford to a 1985 Oldsmobile with all the bells and whistles. I think the axles are about 6" diameter, very small and very simple. I hope some one saves this old girl, my childhood sweetheart! Wish I had a recording of the sound this thing made when it pulled two or three cars. The "stack talk" was awesome as anything pulled was taxing it limitations.

If I can be of any help on questions on parts and condition I will be glad to try and help. I am not happy about this being sold. But on the other hand after sitting in the mud torn apart for over 30 years it is rather obvious it needs a caring owner who might just have the time and money to save her. Or not. Also I am not privy to any info on auction details or on any kind of committee to answer questions regarding this auction. I have had an interest in this locomotive for years and have tried to keep what parts belong to it in the same pile. Recently I found a few and took them to the new pile site, where the parts were moved to a couple of years ago. Frame and boiler remain where they were.

Below are some frame pictures from the #2 I took this last fall. Not insurmountable but would need to be addressed. Not of the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm 

Thanks John - real information complete with illustrations.

dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:39 pm 

HudsonL wrote:
Quote:
And...

-Hudson

The bridge over the Baraboo River was damaged in the flood of 2008 when the footings under the south pier were undercut. Engineering reports were done and for the cost of repair a new bridge would be within reach. While it has been a frustration because some of our collection is trapped on the "wrong" side of the bridge and is completely inaccessible, the bridge repairs have not risen to the necessary priority for funding. The connection to the former C&NW/UP/WSOR is still there, however.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next