It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The biggest basket cases reborn
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:47 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Quote:

So, here's my nomination for the gold medal --- years ago there was a story in Trains Magazine about a fella in New Zealand that restored a Rogers K class 2-4-2 locomotive and tender BY HIMSELF in seven years....

photo after being dredged out of the river:

and here she is restored, and operating!

Good Grief Charlie Brown! Did he find an engine, or a full sized pattern that he used to build a replica?

Seriously, how much of the original fabric was he able to salvage and re-use? Wheels, frame and pistons maybe, or was even the frame bent?

"Jack up the whistle and drive a new engine under it, and oh, by the way, the whistle is long gone!"

Bob -

The original question of Mr. Davis was "biggest basket cases reborn". I am sure that there is a previous thread here on RyPN (or elsewhere) that would explain just how much of the original Rogers 2-4-2 was used But the question was NOT whether 5% was used on these cases, or 95% , but just the fact that someone did it!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:37 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

Bob -

The original question of Mr. Davis was "biggest basket cases reborn". I am sure that there is a previous thread here on RyPN (or elsewhere) that would explain just how much of the original Rogers 2-4-2 was used But the question was NOT whether 5% was used on these cases, or 95% , but just the fact that someone did it!

Les

Well, it seems to me that how much of the original could be salvaged goes a long ways towards determining just how big of a basket case it was. Judging by the photos, I'd guess he's definitely in the running, if not first by quite a few lengths. I was just wondering, in general terms, what had to be replicated.

Also note that a quick search here returned very little info other than the obvious from the photos fact that the boiler had to be replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:48 pm 

From what I gather from a quick search, there are two of the buried New Zealand 2-4-2's in operation. The K-92 was rebuilt with a new boiler, but the K-88 operated for four years with its original boiler before a new one was built.

http://4largescale.com/fletch/d13.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I think you may be correct about the Prairies, but a AT&SF Mike, known to be there? Hold that up against the legendary NZ 2-4-2, and it's a restoration banquet. And here is where a deep pocketed television network might be cultivated for support. I think the process of locating and retrieving the locomotive(s) would be solved with adequate amounts of "green lubricant" ($). What I think would "muddy" (pun intended) the process is the extremely long time it take to accomplish a safe, proper restoration. This is where the story is good, but the money involved could reclaim how many park and museum locos?
Anyway, somebody, go find that Mikado when you have time.

If the right people were involved, it would be one heck of a project...Raise all three, restore the Mikado, and perhaps one good Prairie could be made from the two which were torch cut. If nothing else, they may yield usable appliances ( injectors, air pumps ) which may be salvaged for further use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:47 pm 

If we're going international, then I think the Barry scrapyard in Britain should be mentioned. Some of the last locomotives to leave there had been thoroughly stripped of parts but many of them were restored to operation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:
Would somebody please locate and recover those Santa Fe Mikados in the river bed?

Dick -

As I recall, there was only one Mike; AT&SF #4076 if my memory serves me right. The other steamers were all Prairies. Some of the 2-6-2's had parts cut off of them during some low levels of the river some years back, but the 2-8-2 was not found so should remain "pristine".

I agree she would be a nice engine to restore as none of the Santa Fe's Mikado's were saved.

Les

Well, I did some checking and found out that my memory WAS faulty! There were actually 10 steam locomotives put on the Kaw River bridge by AT&SF in an effort to prevent its collapse during the 1951 flood. Three of the locomotives ended up in the water when a portion of the bridge failed. One of the engines was Prairie #1035. The other two were Mikes 3167 and 4076. After the waters receded, the Santa Fe made an effort to locate the engines and 3167 and the 2-6-2 were found but not the 4076. The Prairie and 3167 were left where they were since they had already been retired by the railroad. Years later, during a period of low water, parts of protruding items were cut off the locomotives since the Kaw (now Kansas) River is considered as navigable, although I don't believe commercial boats use the river. The 4076 was never found. Might she be under one of the other two engines?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:46 pm 

Pretty much the entire story of the K-88 is detailed here, click on the tabs on the left side to read more
http://www.whitebusfamily.co.nz/first_restoration.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:05 pm 

I am pleased to announce that the final steam locomotive damaged in the famous B&O roundhouse roof collapse, B&O #600 "J.C. Davis" has been beautifully restored by the B&O Railroad Museum restoration team. The locomotive was just unveiled a few days ago on September, 4. I have attached some before and after photos for comparison below.

/Andrew

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bomuseum/bo600.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=414107

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainmann ... otostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainmann1/21033888120/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:59 am 

I've got a pretty decent one. A Milwaukee Road F7 that had an overheated block, then came to the Indiana Transportation Museum in 1983 and sat outside rotting until 2006.

Overhauled the block, air compressor, main gen, air brake system, electrical is in progress. Only thing left truly is the cab and body work. I've worked on this thing since I was a kid, and it was satisfying to hear that thing come alive after 5 years of work. We fired it for the first time on New Year's Eve 2011, much to the chagrin of our families. :)

http://itm.org/museum/restoration/milwuakee-72/

Attachments:
72.jpg
72.jpg [ 59.11 KiB | Viewed 9360 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 pm 

OT... I'm surfing through youtube and stumble onto the Panther episode of "Tank Overhaul". From a river in Poland to operation. If you like this kind of documentary enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejq44cdeMO8 . One thing that struck me (aside from envy over the deep pockets of the collectors) is the restoration exactness, techniques, painstaking part replication on down to color matching. The very essence of preservation.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:13 am 

Since it doesn't appear to have been already mentioned I'll nominate West Penn Railways Cincinnati "curved side" car 832, now nearing completion of a very comprehensive restoration at Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. The car has been successfully test run with all systems performing perfectly. Completion of the interior and operator's control panels is the principle remaining task. The initial carbody work plus complete overhaul of the trucks including new wheels and rebuilt WN gearboxes were done by Brookville Equipment Co. All remaining work is being done at PTM. 832 is the sole intact example of the Cincinnati curved side design. Prior to the beginning of this project the car perfectly qualified as a "basket case."

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:52 am 

You guys forgot two huge ones. Clearly SP 4449 was one of them, many said it'd never operate again. And look what happened. Don't forget the C&O 2760. Thing was rotting to death, not operational but it sure looks a whole lot better.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:47 am 

Hi,

How about the ex-AT&SF, ex-D&H, ex-NdeM, Pa1 that Doyal Mcormic (sp?) has?

Doug vV

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 am 

C&O 2760 is located in a bad wet spot, under trees in a bit of a valley. When I saw her 10 years ago, she was mostly intact, but buried in wet fallen leaves. Hard to say what her restoration condition might be, but I'm betting she's a great parts donor candidate if any other Kanawhas ever get the go ahead. Getting her out of her location would be a major engineering exercise; not impossible, but expensive.
The N&W caboose behind her did get major restoration attention iirc. The Southern coach was too far gone for repair.
Anyone have some good current pictures of the 2760?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:05 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Anyone have some good current pictures of the 2760?

says taken May 2014 https://www.flickr.com/photos/jterry618/14428185222

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next