It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Catskill Mountain Railroad News - 2015
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:18 pm 

This is what happens when the CMRR gets nothing but positive letters and the County Executive is up for re-election!!!

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/opinion/201 ... the-editor

A note to readers regarding letters to the editor

POSTED: 09/24/15, 8:23 AM EDT | UPDATED: 5 HRS AGO 14 COMMENTS

With the exception of one letter that closely repeated the previously published arguments of the same writer, we have published every local letter we have received over the past two years about the Catskill Mountain Railroad and the disposition of the Ulster & Delaware right of way owned by Ulster County. In just the past 19 months, that’s been more than 100 letters, which have reflected a vigorous and passionate debate over this public issue.

However, we temporarily are suspending the publication of letters on this matter in the absence of new developments regarding the Catskill Mountain Railroad and the Ulster & Delaware right of way.

It is hoped that this hiatus will open space for letters on other topics until there are new developments.

Tony Adamis

Managing Editor

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 9/25 to 9/27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:56 pm 

Friday, September 25th

in Mt. Tremper, Tom Whyte was engineer, Russ Hallock was car attendant, and Walt Otto was conductor. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent. This was the first leaf train of the season.

Joe Michaels and Earl Pardini worked on Engine 401 and Coach 832.

Saturday September 26th

Jim Bruck continued work on coach 2949.

Al Schoessow and Dave Hilliard worked on engine 42. Ernie Klopping worked on the backhoe.

George Bain and I worked on coach 832 along with Neil Remsen.

George Peck, Art Vogel and Greg Peck worked on the tamper.

Al Johnson worked on the roof of the 703 and Bill Kaba painted one of the trucks on the 35111.

Jeff Otto, Earl Pardini, Bob Blake, John Marino, Joe Wolff and Bob Blake inserted ties in the cut at the body shop, marked ties and pulled OTM.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=226086

In Mt. Tremper, Tom Whyte was engineer, Ray Farrell conductor, and Russ Hallock was ticket agent.

Sunday, September 27th

In Mt. Tremper, Engineer was Tom Whyte, conductor was Tony Bocchino. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

George Peck worked in the Phoenicia yard with Greg Peck.

Jeff Otto, Martin Elbrecht and Russ Hallock pulled all the OTM for the extension to MP 6.5.

Dave Hilliard, Al Schoessow and Neil Remsen removed broken windows from the 832.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 pm 

http://www.kingstonx.com/2015/09/28/let ... the-trail/

Letters: Don’t squander tourist train potential; the mayor and his city; support the trail
by DAN BARTON on Sep 28, 2015 • 12:51 pm

I am Bill Ford, the 92-year-old “baby” brother of Edwin Ford, Kingston’s city historian of over 35 years. While Ed strives to remain apolitical, I am not. I call myself a “Lincoln Republican” out of respect for my grandfather, Albert Ford, who I knew for 13 years until his death in 1936. He voted for Abraham Lincoln. I myself am a combat veteran of World War II, having fought as a rifleman in the 38th Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Infantry Division in the European Theater of Operations.

I was born in a family farmhouse in Highland on April 4, 1923. I arrived in Kingston in 1928, following the sale of the farm, and later graduated from Kingston High School in 1941. After a varied and successful career, my retirement led me to Florida and then to Texas. I returned to Kingston in 2014 after the death of my wife, Thelma. We raised three sons during our marriage of 70 years. Kingston is once again my home and I’m very glad to be here.

The 11-mile section of the Catskill Mountain Railroad that serves as the current “missing link” between Kingston Plaza and Mount Tremper will be torn up and cast asunder unless we as concerned citizens, mindful of the tracks’ historic and commercial value, act between now and the spring of 2016. Built in the 1870s, the Catskill Mountain Railroad was originally part of a commercial enterprise developed by Samuel Coykendall and Thomas Cornell. These two very perceptive businessmen if the 1870s had the foresight to realize that many thousands of passengers disembarking from Hudson River steamboats might wish to continue their scenic journey into the Catskills aboard a comfortable railroad car. Coykendall reported that in one year alone, 1905, 600,000 passengers rode the trains.

Starting from the Kingston Plaza, there are currently thousands of passengers enjoying themed train rides to a terminus just past the flats of Hurley. It is beyond here that the 11-mile section of the historic tracks still exists. Why shouldn’t these tracks be used as well?

Ulster County Executive Michael Hein seems to be determined in his effort to destroy our heritage. That section of the tracks is historic, as proven by the fact that it is protected by law. This section is the “missing link” to the existing tracks at the village of Mount Tremper, where another very popular excursion train operates. This train ride allows passengers to enjoy a ride, “clear up to Phonicy,” to quote us “old-timers.” Reconditioned, I predict that hundreds of thousands of tourists will flock to Kingston to take a spectacular 35-mile trip through our scenic Catskill Mountains.

It could very well become the foremost tourist attraction in the entire Hudson Valley!

As I see it, Kingston seems to have fallen behind in attracting tourists. Tourists translate into money spent with local merchants. Several towns around us seem to have gotten that message. But these towns have far less heritage to offers, such as the establishment of Wiltwyck as the third Dutch settlement in America or the “rebels” of Wiltwyck risking their lives to establish New York as a state or our heritage of Gen. George Clinton being sworn in as New York’s first governor. When properly presented, heritage attracts tourists; thousands and thousands of them, all willing to spend money. Lots of money!

To me, County Executive Michael Hein doesn’t seem to have a care about our heritage. If he does, he has a strange way of showing it in his persuading 18 county legislators to support him in destroying our heritage just so people can take a hike. He should know as I do that other communities have had the foresight to create both a scenic/historic train ride and a hiking path side by side. It can be done! It’s being done elsewhere. It should and can be done here!

It is worth another effort for the key persons involved — city, county and state as well as railroad management — to agree, to work together and to open up this missing link.

Acting on my own without help from any group or committee, I am gathering signers — 350 in two days, to a petition which I hope may help convince those key people that we want our voices to be heard. Please listen to us, before it’s too late!

William A. Ford, Kingston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:22 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
http://poststar.com/news/local/railway- ... 06e74.html

Quote:
The railroad company that hopes to store out-of-service oil tankers on a little-used rail line in the southern Adirondacks has threatened to have the leader of an environmental group charged with trespass on its rail line after pictures of declining rail cars on the line were posted online.

The threat prompted a lawyer for Protect the Adirondacks to fire off a letter with the assertion that, since the rail line passes through state-owned forest preserve, it was not illegal for the organization’s executive director, Peter Bauer, to walk along the tracks provided he doesn’t interfere with rail operations.

The threat was made after Bauer and Brian Mann, a reporter with North Country Public Radio, made a trip to the rail line owned by Saratoga & North Creek Railway parent company Iowa Pacific Holdings LLC and posted photos online of old passenger rail cars, at least one of which had peeling paint and appeared to be in declining shape.

More at the link.

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 10/2 to 10/4
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:29 pm 

Friday, October 2nd

in Mt. Tremper, Tom Whyte was engineer, Earl Pardini was conductor, and Ed Winstanley was car attendant. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

Walt Otto Continued work on Coach 2949.

Saturday October 3rd

Walt Otto continued work on coach 2949.

The crew for the special Wounded Warriors run were; Engineer Al Schoessow. Conductor was John Prestopino. Dave Hilliard was the Brakeman. Flaggers were Hunter Downie, John Marino and Fred Rssmussen.

Ernie Klopping worked on the backhoe.

George Bain, Neil Remsen, Hunter Downie and Pat Smalley worked on coach 832.

George Peck, Art Vogel and Greg Peck worked on the tamper.

Al Johnson worked on the roof of the 703.

Jeff Otto, Tom Whyte, John Marino, Martin Elbrecht, Bryan Wade, Russ Hallock, and Dave Hilliard
inserted ties and spiked them up at the body shop crossing.

In Mt. Tremper, Dave Heick was engineer and Walt Otto was conductor. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent at Mt. Tremper, and Dan Howard was ticket agent at Phoenicia.

Sunday, October 4th

In Mt. Tremper, Engineer was Dave Heick, conductor was Tony Bocchino. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

George Peck worked in the Phoenicia yard with Greg Peck.

Jeff Otto, Tom Whyte, Joe Wolfe, Joe Ferro (new volunteer), Hunter Downie and Neil Remsen inserted and spiked more ties at the body shop crossing. The track is now safety-tied to MP 6.55.

Neil Remsen removed window frames from the 832.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:17 pm 

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... ne-repairs

In Ulster County exec race, Bernardo and Hein spar over federal aid for rail line repairs
By Patricia Doxsey, Daily Freeman
POSTED: 10/05/15, 4:28 PM EDT | UPDATED: 2 WEEKS, 1 DAY AGO 91 COMMENTS

KINGSTON >> Terry Bernardo, the Republican candidate for Ulster County executive, has accused incumbent Michael Hein of playing politics with federal funds earmarked for repairs to the former Ulster & Delaware Railroad line.

In a statement issued Sunday, Bernardo said Hein is “personally responsible for refusing to repair” damage to the county-owned portion of rail corridor caused by Tropical Storms Irene and Lee in 2011.

“Luckily for everyone, Hurricane Joaquin looks to be staying far away from New York at this point,” Bernardo wrote of the storm now far out in the Atlantic Ocean. “While that’s a relief, let’s remember that Mike Hein is personally responsible for refusing to repair what is now years-old damage from ... Irene and Tropical Storm Lee.”

Hein, a Democrat running for a third term in office, said the former county legislator doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

“This kind of misrepresentation of the facts and willingness to say anything, regardless of its accuracy, is precisely why the residents of her district voted her out of office the first time,” Hein said of Bernardo, who lost her re-election bid in 2013.

“In 2011, Ulster County endured one of the worst natural disasters it had seen in a generation,” Hein said. “As we sent our priorities, roads and bridges ... take top priority.”

At issue is roughly $3.6 million in Federal Emergency Management Agency money awarded to the county, but yet unspent, for repairs to portions of the rail corridor used by the Catskill Mountain Railroad, a private company that holds a lease on the corridor through May 2016.

Bernardo said Hein’s “refusal to spend money awarded by FEMA to make these repairs is costing the county much needed economic and tourism dollars.”

“Mike would rather play politics than do what’s right,” she said. “When you’d rather be a political bully than do your job as executive, you are not serving your constituents.”

Hein has been critical of the company, which he has said violated the 25-year lease it holds with the county. In 2014, the county began eviction proceedings against the railroad, which then filed a lawsuit against the county to keep control of the tracks. The suit is pending in state Supreme Court.

Hein has proposed converting much of the rail line into a pedestrian trail, allowing for tourist train operations on small portions of track where the Catskill Mountain Railroad currently operates between Kingston and Hurley and on a portion of track west of the Ashokan Reservoir.

Bernardo has come out as a strong proponent of the privately run Catskill Mountain Railroad and its use of the county-owned tracks for its operation.

Hein said much of the problem with the federal aid lies in the fact that the Catskill Mountain Railroad, which submitted the cost estimates for the FEMA funding applications, woefully underestimated the costs of the needed repairs, including underestimating the cost of repairing the Boiceville trestle by almost $1 million.

He said the county has asked FEMA to reassess the project for potential additional funding.

“The good news is we have secured extensions until 2018,” he said.

Post subject: Ulster County executive debate: Hein, Bernardo spar over RR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:02 pm 

Ulster County executive debate: Hein, Bernardo spar over railroad, jobs, budget

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... obs-budget

Terry Bernardo, an Accord resident and a former chairwoman of the county Legislature, said she also is running to help preserve the possibility of tourist train service between Kingston and the Ashokan Reservoir. She said that such a train ride would be a boon to Ulster County tourism.

She said Hein “literally wants to tell them to take a hike,” a reference to the executive favoring a recreational trail for much of the county-owned rail corridor.

Bernardo said Kingston’s economy has already benefited from thousands of tourists taking the short train ride between Kingston Plaza and Hurley that’s offered by the Catskill Mountain Railroad.

Hein, a Hurley resident, said he supports the continued existence of that train ride, and one that runs between Mount Tremper and Phoenicia, but he also noted the rides are only a small portion of the county’s $515 million-a-year tourism industry.

Bernardo called the Catskill Mountain Railroad the county’s most important tourism-related matter.

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 10/16 to 10/18
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:21 pm 

Friday, October 16th

In Mt. Tremper, Dave Hilliard was engineer, Walt Otto was conductor, and Neil and Kathy Isabelle were brakeman. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

Saturday October 17th

Walt Otto, Al Johnson and Fred Rasmussen continued work on coach 2949.

Ernie Klopping worked on the backhoe. Earl Pardini worked on 401.

George Bain, and I completed sanding of the north side of coach 832.

Jeff Otto, John Marino, Joe Wolff worked near the body shop crossing.

In Mt. Tremper, Engineer was Dave Heick. Conductor was Neil Remsen. Hunter Downie was point protection. Russ Hallock was ticket agent. Parking attendants were AL Schoessow, George Peck. Greg Peck and Art Vogel also assisted. 2 extra trains were run to satisfy demand.

Sunday, October 18th

In Mt. Tremper, Engineer was Dave heick. Conductor was Tony Bocchino. Russ Hallock was car attendant. Ticket agent was Bruce Devorkin. Parking attendants were AL Schoessow, George Peck.

Walt Otto and Al Johnson worked on Coach 2949.

Hunter Downie and Neil Remsen worked on Coach 832.

Jeff Otto, rearranged equipment for work at the body shop crossing.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 10/23 to 10/26
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:01 am 

Friday, October 23rd

In Mt. Tremper, Dave Hilliard was engineer, Neil Isabelle was conductor, Dan Howard and Kathy Isabelle were brakemen, Bruce Devorkin was ticket agent.

Walt Otto and Al Johnson continued work on coach 2949.

Saturday October 24th

Greg Vaughn worked on the 832.

Jeff Otto, and Vince worked near the body shop crossing.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=226637

In Mt. Tremper, Dave Heick was engineer, Earl Pardini was conductor, Tom Whyte was brakeman, Gary Lowe was ticket agent.

In Kingston, Al Schoessow was engineer, Tony Bocchino was conductor, John Marino and Dave Hilliard were brakemen and flaggers. Kailey was ticket agent. Pat Smalley and nephew ran the pumpkin painting activity tent. Gladys Gilbert also helped in the gift shop and Matt Gillis helped all around as well as Alex Sorenson.

Neil Remsen worked on the 2911.

Sunday, October 25th

In Mt. Tremper, George Peck was engineer, Tony Bocchino was conductor, Harry Jameson was car attendant and ticket agent was Gary Lowe.

In Kingston on Sun. 10/25/15, Engineer was Al Schoessow. Conductor was John Prestopino. Brakeman was Tom Whyte. Flaggers were John Marino and Karl Wick. Pat Smalley was ticket agent. Also helping out was Thom Johnson. Of course much help from Matt Gillis and Neil Remsen.

Jeff Otto, Martin Elbrecht, Ernie Klopping and Vince completed reconstruction of the body shop crossing, which is now open to rail traffic:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=226637

Monday, October 26th

Jeff Otto, Bryan Wade and Ray Perrone spiked ties east of the Body Shop crossing.

Tom Whyte and I worked on coach 2911.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 10/30 to 11/2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:14 am 

Friday, October 30th

In Mt. Tremper, Tom Whyte was engineer, Neil Isabelle was conductor, Dan Howard was brakemen, Bruce Devorkin was ticket agent.

Jeff Otto and Vince continued work near the Body Shop crossing.

Saturday October 31st

Greg Vaughn worked on the 832. George Bain and Hunter Downie worked on the 2911.

Jeff Otto, and Vince worked near the body shop crossing.

In Mt. Tremper, Dave Heick was engineer, Ray Farrell was conductor, Bill Kaba was brakeman, and Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

Neil Remsen worked on the 2962 and 832.

Walt Otto and Al Johnson continued work on coach 2949.

Sunday, November 1st

In Mt. Tremper, George Peck was engineer, Tony Bocchino was conductor, John Marino was brakeman and ticket agent was Peter Fluchere.

Jeff Otto, Joe Wolff, Ernie Klopping and Vince continued work near the Body Shop crossing.

Monday, November 2nd

Jeff Otto, Bryan Wade, Ray Perrone, Vince and Al Sp. completed tie insertion west of the Body Shop crossing and spiked one full rail for all 140 ties.

Neil Remsen worked on the 2962 and 832 and Greg Vaughn worked on the 832.

We ended the last weekend of the season with a record of 436 passengers.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:49 am 

Well, it looks like Michael Hein was re-elected - now what for the railroad?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post subject: CMRR 2911
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:56 pm 

The CMRR put its newest addition to its P72 fleet, former LIRR 2911, into service last Friday. It will be running in Polar starting this Friday.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=226894

EH

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 11/6 to 11/9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:39 pm 

Friday, November 6th

Jeff Otto and Tom Whyte continued work near the Body Shop crossing. Vince worked at the North Pole with Matt Gillis.

Greg Vaughn worked on the 832. Neil remsen worked on the 2962. Al Johnson and Walt otto worked on the 2949.

Saturday November 7th

Greg Vaughn worked on the 832 as well as Joe Wolff, Dave Hilliard and George Bain.

Jeff Otto, John Marino, Tom Whyte and Russ Nelson worked near the body shop crossing.

Al Schoessow and Earl Pardini worked on the 401. Ernie Klopping worked on equipment.

Jim Bruck Alex Sorenson and Pat Smalley worked on window frames for the 832.

Walt Otto, Al Johnson and Joe Michaels continued work on coach 2949.

Sunday, November 8th

Jeff Otto, Martin Elbrecht, and John Ferro continued work near the Body Shop crossing.

Neil Remsen worked on the 2911 as well as Fred Rasmussen, Hunter Downie and Dave Hilliard. Joe Wolff worked on the 2949.

Jim Bruck Alex Sorenson and Pat Smalley worked on window frames for the 832 as well as Bruce D. and Sean newton.

Al Schoessow and John Marino moved equipment in the yard.

Ryan Lennox and Chris Cole cut brush.

Monday, November 9th

Jeff Otto, Bryan Wade, Tom Whyte and Vince Guido worked near the Body Shop crossing.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 11/13 to 11/16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:33 pm 

Friday, November 13th

Jeff Otto and Vince Guido continued work near the Body Shop crossing.

Earl Pardini and Al Schoessow swapped wheels on the 2911, putting it into service.

Greg Vaughn worked on the 832. Neil Remsen worked on the 2962. Al Johnson and Walt Otto worked on the 2949.

Saturday November 14th

Greg Vaughn worked on the 832. Joe Wolff worked on the 2940, Dave Hilliard worked on the 2911.

Jeff Otto, Martin Elbricht, John Marino, and Vince Guido worked near the body shop crossing.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=226893

Neil Remsen worked on the 2911.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=226894

Ernie Klopping worked on equipment.

Walt Otto, Al Johnson and Terry W. continued work on coach 2949 along with a new volunteer.

Sunday, November 15th

Walt Otto, Al Johnson and Terry W. worked on Coach 2949.

Jeff Otto and Tom Whyte continued work near the Body Shop crossing with Vince Guido.

Neil Remsen worked on the 2911 as well as Dave Hilliard. Joe Wolff worked on the 2949.

George Bain worked on audio for the coaches.

Monday, November 16th

Jeff Otto, Bryan Wade, Tom Whyte and Vince Guido worked near the Body Shop crossing.

Greg Vaughn, Russ Hallock, Hunter Downie and Gary Lowe worked on the 832. Dave Hilliard and Joe Wolff worked on the 2911. Walt Otto, Al Johnson and Terry W. worked on the 2949.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:20 am 

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... trail-plan

Kingston man offers Ulster County $2,500 toward rail with trail plan
By Patricia Doxsey, Daily Freeman

KINGSTON >> City resident Bill Ford wants to see Ulster County build a pedestrian trail alongside the tracks of the former Ulster and Delaware Raiload corridor, and he’s prepared to put his money where his mouth is.

Ford told county legislators Tuesday that he would donate $2,500 toward the construction of a “bunions and blisters trail,” if the county would allow the railroad track to remain in place.

“I don’t see any reason why with a cooperative effort there can’t be a side-by-side railroad track and trail,” he said during the public comment portion of Tuesday night’s meeting of the Ulster County Legislature.

Ford, who described the construction of the railroad through the area as a “tremendous achievement,” said the railroad is responsible for opening the Catskills to development.

“As an historian, I want to save those tracks,” said Ford, the brother of Kingston City Historian Edwin Ford.

Ulster County Executive Mike Hein has proposed tearing up most of the tracks along the corridor for a pedestrian trail. Under his proposal, the tracks would be allowed to remain in a portion of the rail line in the city and in another segment on the west side of the Ashokan Reservoir, now being used by the Catskill Mountain Railroad for tourist trains. But Hein has rejected calls for rail and trail along the same corridor as too costly and impossible to engineer.

The Legislature has previously adopted a policy calling for a pedestrian trail only along the length of the tracks, but has since begun to reconsider that policy.

Legislators voted Tuesday to give the Ulster and Delaware Corridor Advisory Committee an additional 31 days to file its report.

That committee is conducting an examination and study regarding the optimum economic feasibility of the corridor.

Stone Consulting, a firm hired by the committee to assist in its study, is expected to deliver a report to the committee by Nov. 29.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next