It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: UP's Ed Dickens to Speak at Rocky Mt. Train Show
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:07 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From today's Trains.com Newswire:
Quote:
Ed Dickens, senior manager of Heritage Operations for the Union Pacific, will present at the Rocky Mountain Train Show at 11 am on March 7, 2015. His talk will cover the Cheyenne steam shop and locomotives, 4-8-4 No. 844 and 4-8-8-4 Big Boy No. 4014.

[orders new popcorn maker and chair from Amazon]

Post subject: Re: UP's Ed Dickens to Speak at Rocky Mt. Train Show
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:26 am 

whoopee, big deal, another reason not to go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 am 

I thought Ed Dickens was long gone from UPRR - or is that just the steam program? What is the "Heritage Operations?" Is it an umbrella over the steam program?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 pm 

RichardWilliam wrote:
I thought Ed Dickens was long gone from UPRR - or is that just the steam program? What is the "Heritage Operations?" Is it an umbrella over the steam program?

He's still there. You can tell because nothing runs and nothing
is being worked on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:59 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:

He's still there. You can tell because nothing runs and nothing
is being worked on.

I find it ironic that Mr. Dickens is quick to draw criticism from many here, but another steam "preservationist" with an equally poor track record over the past twenty years, draws constant praise for his continued announcements of one failed project after another.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 pm 

CP O'Shea wrote:

I find it ironic that Mr. Dickens is quick to draw criticism from many here, but another steam "preservationist" with an equally poor track record over the past twenty years, draws constant praise for his continued announcements of one failed project after another.

Maybe, but if you are referring to whom I think you are, that person can at least
point to a past record of big achievements.

The other has achieved nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:21 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:

The acquisition and move of #4014 was something.... a very impressive something, IMHO.
RichardWilliam wrote:
I thought Ed Dickens was long gone from UPRR

You are probably confused by posts on other sites -- Jack Wheelihan ("Hotwater") and several others keep ranting as if they are Donald Trump and the UP is "The Apprentice" television show.

I find it hard to take those rants seriously. the posters lack the self-awareness to see the irony of using the term "Dear Leader" on two forums: Trainorders, which has a history of Censorship and Rich Melvin's toytrain board, which O-scale model railroaders have dubbed NK (for North Korea) because of how frequently Melvin purges entire threads!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:35 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
Lincoln Penn wrote:

The acquisition and move of #4014 was something.... a very impressive something, IMHO.
RichardWilliam wrote:
I thought Ed Dickens was long gone from UPRR

You are probably confused by posts on other sites -- Jack Wheelihan ("Hotwater") and several others keep ranting as if they are Donald Trump and the UP is "The Apprentice" television show.

I find it hard to take those rants seriously. the posters lack the self-awareness to see the irony of using the term "Dear Leader" on two forums: Trainorders, which has a history of Censorship and Rich Melvin's toytrain board, which O-scale model railroaders have dubbed NK (for North Korea) because of how frequently Melvin purges entire threads!

First - what exactly has been done to 4014 in the time since the move? Nothing. And considering that none of the other "heritage program" engines have been operational since then? What's gone on that has gone towards getting any of it running? None? Hmm.

Second - RYPN is also moderated, in a manner about equal to the moderation on TO. I'm a member there, so I've seen it firsthand in both places. So your claims of censorship and over-moderation on TO (from a four-year old thread on a locked and no longer active forum) are not really valid.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:45 pm 

Coming from my view...

I really dont care about either program, but...

If even a FRACTION, of what is coming out of what has come to light on the "other" forums...then I fear for the UP steam program.

Sorry, but actions speak louder then words...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:39 pm 

Just to add my two cents worth here since I dropped my membership in that other forum due to all of the UP bashing. If the UP never operates another steam locomotive, I have to thank them for all of the great trips and memories over the years. The locomotives are safe and secure inside an excellent storage facility. And obviously the UP is taking steps to insure their future by putting another leader in charge of the steam program.

The one thing I'm thankful for on this forum is that they don't allow personal attacks like the other forum does. In fact, they seem to encourage it by their lack of moderation.

Post subject: Moderator.. Re: UP's Ed Dickens to Speak at Rocky Mt. Train
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:32 am 
Site Admin

This thread quickly devolved into name calling. There are lots of rumors about the UP steam program and how it is being run.

To the extent that those are name calling, and critical without documentation or facts, the thread is not appropriate on this forum. I am locking the thread.

Your Friendly Moderator...

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]