It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another old boxcar -- a PRR X29
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 am 

One look at that and I knew exactly where it was. It's clearly an unspectacular and nearly forgettable part of the collection… and yet… it's painted nice and sharp. Where does that happen like clockwork? Hoosier Valley!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 am 

CPR4000 wrote:
I can't recite chapter and verse, but a few 1923 ARA standard boxcars are extant. Whether they can be considered "preserved" is another issue. New Hope & Ivyland uses a couple of bodies as storage sheds, for example, and at least one of those is ex-L&NE. The Phillipsburg (NJ) RR Historians have one from the CNJ: http://www.prrh.org/photos/box-car/index.html which may be owned by the Anthracite RR's Historical Society. (Certainly the trucks shown with this car are not original!) Decades ago, I saw examples of B&O and C&O cars in Cincinnati; I think they may have gone to museums, but their current status is questionable.

The RB trucks were used to move the car by rail from Easton to P-Burg, then swapped out with the original trucks. As per the website, the ARHS transferred ownership of this car back in 2013.

The pix don't show it, but the lift was not totally successful....one of the cables failed and the car was dropped on one end, which tweaked the body into a parallelogram.....
Walter
ARHS President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 pm 

CPR4000 wrote:
I can't recite chapter and verse, but a few 1923 ARA standard boxcars are extant.

Decades ago, I saw examples of B&O and C&O cars in Cincinnati; I think they may have gone to museums, but their current status is questionable.

CPR4000 -

Ran across some photos on the internet tonight of a couple of, what appear to be, 1923 ARA standard boxcars (or X29's) on Whitewater Valley. One carried a "B&O 270113" identification and the other one had no lettering at all that I could see. Are these actually B&O cars? Is the B&O 270113 correct and what is the info on the second car? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm 

CPR4000 wrote:
Rob, I was referring to the roller bearing trucks the car had before it was moved, as seen in the photos on the Pburg website. But now that you mention it, I saw the car about a year ago and it had solid bearing trucks at that time. The CNJ paint was pretty weathered and I don't think the car had a herald.

The B&O RR Museum has a B&O example:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127696208 ... 791203955/

Here's a roster of ARA 1923 boxcars and derivatives:

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/cale ... ax29.1.pdf

I was talking on the internet with one of our members about a Seaboard Air Line Railroad box car photo. One thing led to another and I found that the Georgia State Railroad Museum in Savannah, GA has an X29 car (or possibly the 1923 ARA Std design car) in their collection. That car is identified as SAL # 17954 and carries the "Orange Blossom Special" lettering. When checking info on the SAL, I came across this old thread on RyPN which has a roster of the ARA 1923 boxcars (see above) and the Seaboard is not shown. My question is whether this car was actually built for the SAL or is it a PRR car that was acquired by the railroad, or possibly by the museum and painted as a SAL car? Couldn't find anything on the Georgia State Railroad Museum website. Thanks for any info.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:27 pm 

folks,
A look at that box car, reminded me of my American flyer collection which used the head end version of this car. They made a nice addition to the passenger trains. I used to run it with my red passenger trains, sort of like the PRR's Tuscan red passenger trains.

I am glad to see some freight cars getting restored.

Ted Miles, former American Flyer collector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:13 pm 

Ted -

Ran across this photo I took, back in 2013? It was taken on the Little River Railroad in Coldwater, Michigan. There seems to be a few of these X29/1923 ARA boxcars still around. Perhaps someone should start a thread listing them!

Les

Attachments:
018.JPG
018.JPG [ 279.78 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]