It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neat stuff at Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:49 pm 

There were some neat "tidbits" on my recent visit to MOT. Pictured is a set of push buttons for visitors that show various signal aspects as displayed by their CPL signal as the various buttons are pushed. The second photo shows the CPL signal set up next to the front end of Chicago & Illinois Midland 2-8-2 # 551. The standpipe (water column) set up next to the tender of number 551 was also a neat display (wish we had a standpipe at our museum).

Other interesting stuff included a wig-wag signal which visitors could activate from a nearby push button. And an extremely good set of signs inside Spokane, Portland & Seattle caboose number 884 explaining the caboose crew, what they did, and the caboose itself.

Les

Attachments:
Mo visit Late Nov `23 098.JPG
Mo visit Late Nov `23 098.JPG [ 229.3 KiB | Viewed 6975 times ]
Mo visit Late Nov `23 097.JPG
Mo visit Late Nov `23 097.JPG [ 215.18 KiB | Viewed 6975 times ]

Post subject: Re: Neat stuff at Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:59 am 

I grew up visiting that museum as a kid - haven’t been back in several years but it’s great to see how they keep growing and improving. Although I am sad they still don’t have that Miniature Train Company train - those were so fun! Haha.

The visitor pavilion they built is one of the nicest improvements to a museum I’ve seen. It covers a large part of the collection and looks very attractive to the visitors and also allows the museum to operate special events in the open spaces.

And of course…. As a kid getting to sit in the cab of the Big Boy - I never thought I’d get the chance to see and ride behind an operating Big Boy locomotive. So many memories!