It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mogul in Michigan?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm 

Ran across this photo today:

http://www.railroadmichigan.com/steamengler1a.jpg

This is on the Coopersville & Marne Railway. The 2-6-0 in numbered 300 and carries the name John Engler on its tender. Somehow I missed this one. Couldn't find any previous reference to it on RyPN. Anyone know anything about it?

Les

Post subject: Re: Mogul in Michigan?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:08 pm 

Virginia Central Railway 300, built by Alco/Cooke in 1924 or so, purchased new by the Virginia Central (not to be confused with the later Virginia Central tourist operation)

Was on display in Grand Rapids at an industrial park, hence the gaudy paint scheme and name.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 pm 

Listed here in steamlocomotive.info

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1510

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm 

1924 and with slide valves. And Walschaerts valve gear, to boot. An unusual loco for sure. Must have been one of the last 2-6-0's built.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 pm 

This was one of those "Cuban Sugar Plantation" locomotives built for the sugar cane trade on that island nation. Alco built many of these as "stock" engines at their Cooke Works and when the sugar cane business in Cuba plummeted in the 1920's, many of these engines were sold to U.S. short lines and industrial customers. This one ended up working for the Augusta Railroad in Arkansas for a number of years.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:14 pm 

Completely stripped of all appliances. All boiler tubes removed. Smoke box is rotten and original smokebox door is gone. Cab is gutted. Wheels need turned and all bearings need re-done. The brakeman's side connecting rod between #1-2 drivers is bent. I think there was ice damage as the valve chest on the engineers side is lifted on the rear. The tender is in amazing condition, although it no longer rides on the original arch bar trucks (I think the trucks that are under it have MKT cast in the side frames).

This is personally one of my favorite locomotives (as originally delivered, not the way she looks now). I would love to see her run again but don't think that will ever happen. She is the perfect size for a small operation to manage any of the parts. Small diameter boiler, small drivers and only weighs 44tons. If it had all the appliances, it would probably be an easy (relatively speaking) restoration. Trying to purchase or build all those "little" items would probably cost more than the rest of the work.

I will just continue to dream.....

Any other questions about it, let me know.

To add some feel good info: This engine was set to be scrapped in Grand Rapids. Somebody acquired the bell and number plate. When they found out that the Coopersville & Marne acquired the engine, they brought the bell and plate over. There are still good people in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 am 

EWrice -

Here's a better photo of the tender of number 300:

http://www.railroadmichigan.com/steamengler1b.jpg

I found a photo on the internet of the engine when it was still in service on the Augusta Railroad back in 1955. The cab was still lettered with ARKANSAS below the cab window from when she was on the Arkansas Railroad. Apparently, the same company owned both railroads and number 300 was never relettered. I figured that the tender on the Mogul might have been replaced but the current tender looks similar to the one behind the 2-6-0 back in 1955. I guess I'm a bit surprised that it could be the same one, as tenders seem to wear out quicker than the locomotives themselves.

Well, don't give up hope for a restoration to service of the 300. Stranger things have happened. Of course, the Coopersville & Marne doesn't seem to have a big desire to put a steamer in service on their tourist operation as they have had CN Ten-Wheeler #1395 sitting on their property now for a number of years and have slowly been letting it deteriorate.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:28 pm 

I believe the tender to be original. The photo you saw from around 1955 is probably the one that I have framed on my desk. That photo still shows the arch bar trucks. There is evidence of a derailment on the right side of the tender frame. I assumed that is when the trucks were changed. Hard to say though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 pm 

EWrice wrote:
I believe the tender to be original. The photo you saw from around 1955 is probably the one that I have framed on my desk. That photo still shows the arch bar trucks. There is evidence of a derailment on the right side of the tender frame. I assumed that is when the trucks were changed. Hard to say though.

The photo I saw on the internet does show the tender with arch bar trucks. Don't see any evidence of a derailment, but perhaps they are different photos. The one I saw is from the left (fireman's) side of the engine with someone sitting in the fireman's seat and someone standing in the gangway between the cab and tender. Heavy smoke is blowing forward and there is a telephone pole just behind the tenders headlight.

The little Mogul sure looked better in those days than she does now in her gaudy paint scheme! But at least she survives!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:17 pm 

That sounds like the same photo. There is some pretty good sized "dings" in the right side frame rails. Just about the right spot for a journal box to smash into if the trucks were out of sorts.

Post subject: Re: Mogul In Michigan?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:30 pm 

C&M had received VC/AUG "John Engler" 300 back in 2013. Previously the steamer was located in an local industrial/office park. What I keep hearing that this engine is in a very bare bones state. IF were restore to any condition, all new parts will be needed. CNR 1395 was slated to be restored to cosmetic condition years ago. This steamer has been in storage since being moved from Steamtown Post-1985/Scranton Site.