It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Budd Pioneer III
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:15 am 

Quote:
There are 2 old Silverliners III's at Wayne Shop out back, one is #238, don't know the # of the other because all the number boards have been removed.

Is it #266? Also, I had seen there was an old RDG Blueliner by Wayne Shop, is it still there overgrown as always?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:30 pm 

The old Blueliner is still there sitting beside Roberts Yard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:33 am 

266 is gone. That left the property in November of 2013 as noted on the SEPTA forum on Railroad.net. The only two left on the property are likely the 9001 and 238 which I believed was involved in that fire maybe five years ago? I really miss these cars. They had character which is lacking in the new Vs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:30 pm 

Hello all,
one car of this class exists, although it was heavy modified over the years as one of the FRA's high speed test car set. T-1. Currently at Ft Eustis, recently purchased by me. It will be going to the South Carolina Railroad Museum and turned into a lounge car as the seats are mostly missing at this time.

I need a little help from the group if possible. It was never entered into UMLER, so I need to track down the dimensions (length, height, width, knuckle height.) So I can get it in there to get it moved.

I have been scouring the internet for hours trying to find that information. Thats how I found this thread.

If all else fails I will be up there next week and can tape it.

Thanks for any help or pointing in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:43 am 

With regard to Budd Silverliners-
Since at the IRM's Pullman Library we now have the Budd rail car drawings from the Red Lion Plant, you might contact us for drawings etc which might provide a bit of the information for a move, later for restorations. Most of the large drawings are organized on shelf rolled in boxes so it is an effort to locate a given drawing, which we have done for a few customers. We do have drawing lists and if all goes well we may have the drawing list for that car. Smaller drawings are in process of being shelved.
Waiting to hear, Ted Anderson volunteer curator, Pullman Library, Illinois Railway Museum
pullmanlibrary@irm.org

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:04 pm 

This is really great to hear. You truly have the sole survivor of its class since the other two were just recently scrapped. I'd love to see more pictures when you get a chance.

I'm unable to find a history of this car online. Was this one ever in commuter service or was it always owned by the DOT?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:32 pm 

I have looked around my saved "records" for a picture of a Budd "Argentina" passenger car based on the silverliner that was built under license in Argentina, of course I cannot find any of my records. Not sure if this was a II or III. they were darn close to the III's.
Somebody here knows more about this.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
ns2110 wrote:
I'm unable to find a history of this car online. Was this one ever in commuter service or was it always owned by the DOT?

Quote:
As part of the High Speed Ground Transportation Act of 1965 the United States Department of Transportation placed an order for 4 additional Silverliners for use as test vehicles to explore the feasibility of a high-speed rail line in the United States. Numbered T-1 through T-4, the cars were modified for operation up to speeds of 150 mph and were outfitted with various instrumentation to document the effects of rail travel at such speeds. The most visible modification was a slightly streamlined slab end applied to the T-1 car to reduce drag during the high-speed runs. After the tests at least one of the cars was de-powered and used as a USDoT rail testing vehicle for some years afterward. The experimental Silverliners reached a maximum speed of 156 mph and were instrumental in the development of the Budd Metroliner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverlin ... lverliners