It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum posts as an NY Times source
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:59 pm 

In reading about the engineer of the recent Amtrak wreck, I was surprised to find the use of the TO forum as a source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/us/amtrak-derailment-philadelphia-engineer-brandon-bostian.html?_r=0

I think deep down we all know that what we post on this and other forums is available for public scrutiny. Perhaps this serves as a reminder to keep things decent and truthful, since most reporters struggle to differentiate rant or speculation from truth.

Post subject: Re: Forum posts as an NY Times source
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 pm 

GIGO.

dave

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm 

gw75 wrote:
In reading about the engineer of the recent Amtrak wreck, I was surprised to find the use of the TO forum as a source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/us/amtrak-derailment-philadelphia-engineer-brandon-bostian.html?_r=0

I think deep down we all know that what we post on this and other forums is available for public scrutiny. Perhaps this serves as a reminder to keep things decent and truthful, since most reporters struggle to differentiate rant or speculation from truth.

I believe the only reason TO was mentioned is that the "source" was actually the engineer of #188. Or, if you prefer NYT vernacular, the "conductor."

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:27 pm 

Dave wrote:
GIGO.

dave

I know the classic computer-based use of the term means "Garbage in, garbage out"

unfortunately, as my old photo-interpretation professor said, another more realistic interpretation is:

Garbage in, gospel out

This is sometimes very true of the press.