It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NP W-3 2-8-2 1762 (SP&S 539)
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:38 pm 

Now that RDG 2100 has been brought much, much closer to home rails, I started thinking about other locos that are far from home. The first one to come to mind was NP W-3 2-8-2 1762, later SP&S 539. She is the last surviving NP 2-8-2, the largest surviving NP steam locomotive, and the only surviving SP&S 2-8-2. Currently, she is on display in the unlikely location of Williams, Arizona. Some time ago I heard that she was for sale, but I don't know whether that is, or ever was, true.

Before I continue, I would like to acknowledge that I have no personal knowledge of the resources or motivations of other potential venues for this locomotive, either as an operating locomotive or as a cosmetic display. Maybe my suggestions are impractical for one reason or another. However, it does seem that some other location would be a more natural fit.

Some possible alternative locations would be:
1. Northern Pacific Railway Museum in Toppenish, WA
2. Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, OR
3. Minnesota Transportation Museum in St. Paul, MN
4. Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, MN

There may be other suitable locations as well.

Opinions?

Tom

Post subject: Re: NP W-3 2-8-2 1762 (SP&S 539)
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:53 pm 

I doubt she's for sale now. If its any consolation, their crew I is or was) in the middle of a cosmetic restoration. There was a picture floating around, but i have no clue where it is now...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
An official of the GCRY has been known to lurk here, and at least one of us can locate him if necessary..

If someone has a SERIOUS proposal and some wherewithal to "make things happen," I believe they will at least discuss options with an individual in question. But you have to do a LOT better than "I think it would be cool if....."

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:03 am 

Alexander:
I agree completely. I do "think it would be cool if...." But I don't have the wherewithal to do it. My feeling is that it never hurts to point out the situation in the hope it comes to the attention of somebody who can make it happen.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:21 pm 

Last I heard, the 539 is still available, but it's been a little while. GCRY utilized is as a stuffed and mounted locomotive in order to help reduce the clutter and eyesore at the locomotive shop while simultaneously promoting their train. I'd be willing to bet that it is still for sale, and that if you approached them with a serious bid, you'd get a serious response.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I would further suggest that IF your "bid" incorporates a serious restoration and display, or even operational, proposal by/with a worthwhile operational and/or preservation entity in its native turf (not like Grand Poo-Bah McCormack needs more holes in his head...), then the GCRY MIGHT be disposed to negotiate more favorable terms than "current market value" for a big 2-8-2........

....... but these are strictly MY impressions........