It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mr. Jensen and GTW 5629
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:07 pm 

I have a shot I took at Dearborn Street Station in Chicago prior to the 5629 trip to South Bend and return on September 17, 1967. The rear of the train was at the bumping post and the headend was a full two cars plus 5629 south (east) of Roosevelt Rd. The car count was in excess of 20 for this trip and, as I remember, included cars from the Wabash Orland Park commuter train. One of the Wabash blue coaches is visible to the right of the bridge support of Roosevelt Road. One of these trips also included Santa Fe lightweight coaches, Monon coaches and Rock Island 2700 series suburban cars. After the 1966 season with 5629 and 6218, you never knew what to expect for coach equipment on the 5629 and 4070 trips from Chicago. The trips always seemed well patronized out of Chicago as there was still a large steam base leftover from the Burlington trips that ceased in July 1966. Chicago went from having at least one steam trip (on the Burlington) per month except January and February to one or two weekends of trips per year.

Attachments:
519PS Resize1  GTW 5629 beyond Roosevelt Rd at Dearborn St copy.jpg
519PS Resize1 GTW 5629 beyond Roosevelt Rd at Dearborn St copy.jpg [ 178.28 KiB | Viewed 7792 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 pm 

rlsteam wrote:
According to Drury, the Soo/Wisconsin Central had only 21 4-8-2s, 4000-4020 (the first four owned by Soo and the rest by WC). The few available photos on the Internet suggest that those with the higher numbers had eight-wheel tenders (unless later retro-fitted), while it appears that at least 4000, 4004, and 4007 had the larger tender. There wasn't a Soo 4-8-2 numbered 4064. It would be good to get the original number.

Richard -

Found this photo from Bill Raia's collection showing Soo Line 4-8-2 #4017 with one of the six wheel tenders:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sooliner/15902882049/

Don't know if this is the one that ended up behind GTW 5629, but it's possible.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:22 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

One of the trips that DID sell very well, was his very first one out of Chicago over the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Company. I can't recall the amount of cars but there were perhaps 16 to 18, possibly even more. Maybe someone has the exact total. Quite a heavy train for a high drivered Pacific! This was when Dick still had the original tender on the engine.

Les

Found a photo taken by Bill Raia in November of 1961:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sooliner/7363204696/

This was Dick's first operation with the 5629 and, as you can see, the Pacific still had its original GTW tender.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:15 pm 

Not to hijack the thread, but Mr. Conrad, you need to write a book of reminiscences, or let someone ghost-write it for you. I know you're very busy, but a lot of us here really appreciate your tales.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:11 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
you need to write a book of reminiscences, or let someone ghost-write it for you.
Yes, these early excursion histories will be lost forever someday. I loved Jim Wrinn's book on the NS program as he realized much of that info was going to be lost eventually. Much of these 50s and 60s excursions will pass into forgotten history forever if they're not written down...
That's why I'm badly hoping that Ross will write a book someday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:57 pm 

For those interested I recently found the court papers related to the saga of Mr. Jensen and why much of his equipment was scrapped including the locomotive. Much speculation and rumors about why this happened can now finally be put to rest. It's a good read for those interested.

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1 ... ana-rr-co/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 pm 

Tom F wrote:
For those interested I recently found the court papers related to the saga of Mr. Jensen and why much of his equipment was scrapped including the locomotive. Much speculation and rumors about why this happened can now finally be put to rest. It's a good read for those interested.

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1 ... ana-rr-co/

So got a TL:DR summary? I tried reading it, and got lost between the constant story of "Plaintiff said xyz, defendant said abc, etc. etc. etc." Jensen's engines have been something I have been kind of curious about since high school, we had a Jim Boyd book in the school library with a photo of the GTW engine being scrapped in it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:15 pm 

The papers at the above link only say that punitive damages and interest are denied, and that the amount of compensation due for actual loss of property is to be redetermined at a new trial. The prior verdict that the railroad is liable still stands, but the amount due must be redetermined. Did that ever happen?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:36 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
JimBoylan wrote:
The papers at the above link only say that punitive damages and interest are denied, and that the amount of compensation due for actual loss of property is to be redetermined at a new trial. The prior verdict that the railroad is liable still stands, but the amount due must be redetermined. Did that ever happen?

My hazy recollection is that Jensen died awaiting that new trial.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 am 

Greetings:

I would note that the documents cited by Tom F. in his posting concern the appeal, not the original trial which is referred to only as it pertained to the appeal.
I would further note that neither Jensen vs. Chicago & Western Indiana dispute had virtually anything to do with Jensen's operable steam locomotive, former Grand Trunk Western No. 5629: only former CB&Q Nos. 4963 and 5632, the parts and machines.

5629's involvement was limited to a spare set of driving wheels and rods (from GTW No. 5634). It was argued that some of the parts were common to 5629 and other steam locomotives such as air compressors, dynamos, lubricators air brake valves, flexible staybolts, etc. There were literally tons of steam locomotive parts on display in the courtroom and out in the hall, all later acquisitions, Richard was a master at finding steam locomotive parts and tools, those mostly were sold at the auction to settle with the Chicago, West Pullman & Southern a few years later. Former York Southern No.1 was the only locomotive in that case.

5629's demise came after he lost the METRA case...

Sandy is correct, Dick died prior to the appeal being conducted. I believe that his sister settled out of court after his death.

I continue to work on a book/long magazine article about him. Perhaps I'll finish it after I finish the 2nd edition of "The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America"!

Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 pm 

J.David wrote:

He also purchased a lot of parts off the like new, Lima built, Rock Island rotary snowplow, the smokebox front of which was to go on CB&Q 4963. Dick had a highly developed sense of aesthetics, and for him the flat CB&Q smokebox front was repulsive.

J.David

J.David:

I'm glad that Tom F resurrected this old thread because somehow I originally missed your comments above. First of all, the CB&Q flat smokebox fronts on the O1A's were definitely NOT repulsive! If Dick thought that, he was definitely wrong! But, it got me to wondering where the Grand Canyon Railroad got the new smokebox front that is now on the 4960. Might it be that front from the Lima built, Rock Island rotary snowplow that Mr. Jensen purchased?

Les