It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Status of Strasburg RR # 7312
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 am 

Hi
I would like to know the Status of Strasburg RR ex CNR # 7312? When I when to attend the N&W 611 reunion, the cab of the locomotive was sitting outside next to the Shop door.
Also my second question, I am reading on Facebook, that the locomotive has been retired?
If possible would Kelly Anderson of the Strasburg mechanical dept, please give an update on the locomotive, Thank You, Pat.

Post subject: Re: Status of Strasburg RR # 7312
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 am 

Last I heard, it is not retired, but not a priority for rebuild/restoration at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Even Brother Anderson is not obligated to give a firm answer. He may be a nice guy and all, but.....

In my experience with talking with situations like this with for-profit operations, even the supposed "boss" is going to wet his finger, stick it in the air, and give you his "best answer" based on which way the wind is blowing at the moment. He has stake-holders to answer to as well, and someone has to give the OK.

Remember that there are two other "relics" sitting out in the Strasburg's "back 40" being ignored, and generating lots of negative (albeit insignificant, all told) commentary for their "neglect."

You want the Strasburg to restore those locos promptly? Go ride the most expensive rides they offer. Repeatedly. Then convince 100,000 of your closest friends to do so as well. Then build an industry dependent upon Strasburg freight service, and get it operating.

Or offer to buy 31 or whatever. Or write a big-budget Hollywood check for 31's "starring role" in a new big-budget movie or show.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm 

Hang on, let me get my popcorn...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:46 pm 

Well said, brother Mitchell!

As Ron Jonas at East Troy so famously says:
"Get out your wallet!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 pm 

I saw it posted on some restoration site. "Restoration moves at the speed of money".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 pm 

Pat Fahey wrote:
I am reading on Facebook, that the locomotive has been retired?

Pat, I think that unless you're reading that on the Strasburg Rail Road Facebook site, you should probably not give it another thought. Anything you may read on sites owned by individuals, or on discussion groups is typically just conjecture on the part of various individuals.....it's basically foam. No locomotive is ever permanently retired until it becomes razor blades. The status of any of them is always dependent on the will and the resources of their current owners.

I believe that the 7312 last ran in early 2009, coming up on 11 years now. The conclusions that you can personally draw from that fact are probably more reliable than anything you read on Facebook.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:36 pm 

I'm sure someone with an inside scoop will chime in but, if I were the Strasburg and had three operating locomotives, I wouldn't be rushing to spend money on a fourth. Especially if it was harder on the track than the other three; tearing up track structure can get pretty expensive.

If the locomotive did in fact go out in 2009, and here we are a decade later without it, I'd say their business model is working.

Let's take a step back and consider a (primarily) steam powered railroad functioning as a for-profit business... that's still in business... I think they know what they're doing. Whether the plan is to slowly overhaul as time and money become available, or completely retire it, they know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm 

Hi All
I do appreciate all your replies, to my question, I do agree that the locomotive is a low priority project in the shop.
I was just wondering, what sort of shape she is in, I have read she is not well-liked by the crews.
Also again I do Thank you for all the replies, Pat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:24 pm 

Yeesh! Nothing like piling on someone who asked a well stated and thoughtful question giving some reference for their query as some have done in this thread.
Now that I've said that, BigJim you'd better refill your popcorn bucket and please bring one for me as it may be a loooong evening. :-) ............mld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:30 pm 

Thanks for being brave enough to ask the question Pat Fahey! I also was curious as to the status of #7312.

I was fortunate enough to see and ride behind the #7312 back in 2007.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:16 pm 

Whatever happened to the Long Island RR locomotive?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
CA1 wrote:

EXACTLY.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 pm 

CA1 wrote:
I seem to recall that Strasburg was doing contract work on a Long Island locomotive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:59 pm 

The nerve of someone asking politely about the status of the preservation of a steam locomotive!!! Good thing you guys put him in his place!!!

On the contrary we should encourage such questions! I saw someone ask about one of Durango’s locomotives on Facebook and the railroad directly replied “we probably will get around to restoring her one day but right now we have other priorities” - that’s a very simple, honest, and accurate answer.

As to the #7312 - the only thing that makes me mad is that’s the only locomotive that I am not sure if I have ever seen in steam or not! I think I rode behind her on the 1/2 hour train on one of my visits (if it was the #89, I’ve never heard 89 talk like that again!” But I didn’t take photos and I wasn’t keeping a roster yet so I will never know for sure... l