It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam gets another one
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:18 pm 

If I remember correctly, the AOS website earlier this year did mention something about tours offered to the public this summer at select dates/times? I haven't heard anything about that since then...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:49 pm 

I think Becky has it about right. Of all the folks out there who might be bad guys, Jerry isn't one of them. The insurance issue is pretty important, but easy for many of us to conveniently forget about.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:23 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
I wonder if people would feel better if engines were being acquired and sold by AoS. That way if there's a place for an engine to be preserved, like Hot Metal is suggesting, then it's still a possibility. Has anybody contacted AoS about buying any of their equipment?

This was my biggest concern. I have a shortline starting up, and am already being shown several more opportunities by the class 1 we are leasing from. I collect and restore military equipment as well. So I had my heart set on purchasing, restoring, and operating the USA 612. I have been watching it for a long time. When I heard AoS bought it, I was a little heartbroken. It was actively being worked on (well at least the appliances) and wasn't in danger at the Southeastern Railway museum.

I will just wait and hope I can present a good offer showing I have the funds, shop, and place to run her and maybe she could be released from AoS. Time will tell. And her being there and receiving some more attention and possibly being stored inside is a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm 

I haven't really been following the AOS acquisitions closely.

Has he been actively pursuing acquisitions, or is he only taking advantage of possibilities as they occur? i.e. Is he going out and asking folks "Do you want to sell that locomotive?" or is it just sales and auctions that are already in process?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:51 pm 

Ummmmm.......... or you can offer to partner with AOS in support of your favorite project, and everybody wins.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:25 pm 

i was wondering about how will Mr. Jacobson be able to show off his collection? He should be able to have 1293 run on NS rails or something to spread the word out even more to show he really cares about the rail fan community instead of shoving them into the roundhouse and no one sees them. Shouldn't 1293, 6325 or 33 be Jerry's top priority to get them back on the road and bring in more income to the AoS. Remember I don't think anyone seen 1293 since 2012, 6325 in 2004, 33 in 2008 isn't about time we see them again. I say that should be his top priority to get them back on the road ASAP. I think 1293 and 6325 are the only ones capable to run NS, G&W, or W&LE rails right now. I'm I wrong I could be but that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm 

I seem to recall reading somewhere the leasing locomotives from AoS is or is going to be a possibility in the future. I don't know how much truth there is to it and I can't recall where I read it, but I believe that's the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:25 pm 

First 1293 ran a couple of times in 2014, including a photo freight for some foreign visitors.

Second, while it would be nice for Jerry to have all his locomotives operable I'm going to guess that he doesn't like being told what his "top priority" should be. This is where the conversation turns from "preservation" to "foam". One is constructive, and one is not.

Last edited by Emmo213 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:27 pm 

AoS has leased 1293 in the past to the Cuyahoga Valley line, although the last few years it's been 765 instead. 1293 also ran at Byseville Scenic for a short time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:17 pm 

I wasn't saying he should get all of them operating at once I was talking about the 1293 6325 and 33 and getting those three back on the road. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to get several back on the road than having all of them locked up that's all. I mean isn't that what preservation is all about I'm just saying. Just to be clear. Getting those three back the road would be my top priority to put my steam collection and money to work that's all. I'll leave it here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:41 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
You speak as if "income" from collection assets is an issue or priority in this particular case.

I have been led to believe that, at least for the time being, that isn't an issue. <:-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:00 am 

Quote:
I collect and restore military equipment as well. So I had my heart set on purchasing, restoring, and operating the USA 612. I have been watching it for a long time. When I heard AoS bought it, I was a little heartbroken.

So what were you waiting for? If you wanted it, why didn't you buy it? JJJ did.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 am 

This is pretty silly... I can't believe we are bickering about someone in a position to do something, ACTUALLY doing something.

In case anyone was wondering, The Ohio Central was purchased for $219 Million dollars. It would probably be some time before JJJ manages to even make a dent in that.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2008/08/04/daily7.html

Be thankful some one is actually picking up these forlorn engines and doing SOMETHING with them.

The two projects I was formerly involved with have more or less tanked, and one of those engines sits on the property of an actual museum that vehemently refuses to let any work be done to it (the other was plopped at the end of a dimly lit dead end street in the skid row district), and both could probably benefit from a good rescuing, EVEN IF it means a trip to Ohio. They would certainly be better off there than they ever would be here.

I know I'd sleep better knowing they were actually being taken care of.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:29 am 

Please delete this message, Thanks

Last edited by David Notarius on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:38 am 

Howdy Folks;
I agree with "joe6167", Jerry is doing what only all of us can dream of doing, in the way of preservation and restoration! And he's doing it the right way by building the infrastructure to restore and maintain his collection. I hope Jerry has leaned from the mistakes made in the past by Spence & Blount, and place safeguards to protect his collection for the future, which I am sure he has. As for USATC 612 and the heartbroken collector, there are still a large number of USATC s160 2-8-0's (and other American built steam locomotives) available in Europe. Some that are actual combat veterans from WW2! But time is running out on these locomotives, especially the ones in Greece. We should be offering constructive criticism to the Jerry Jacobson and the Ross Rowland's, we're all trying to do the same thing.

Have fun - David Notarius, about to fix the electric fence by the chicken coops, Cambridgeshire UK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next