It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam gets another one
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:34 pm 

There's a Jubilee at Steamtown that needs his help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Wouldn't it be great if he took East Broad Top No. 6 under his wing as well?

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:10 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
Hmmmm---there's that Pennsy 0-6-0 that's been looking for a home for some years now. . .and there are two NKP (ex-W&LE) 0-6-0s around, and if I remember, both of them are on roller bearings. . .

We're slowly working on our ex-W&LE 0-6-0 and are always looking for help and donations. Being so close to Jerry might even help our cause.

http://www.lsra.org/nbsprestore-the-nkp-384.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:11 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
There's a Jubilee at Steamtown that needs his help.

No good for all parties involved. It doesn't have enough power to pull anything more than 4-5 coaches.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:24 pm 

Yes, but we need to look at the business side of things. In my opinion, unless he can get monthly restoration jobs done, this will never work out. I mean, 15 engines that are going to be rarely used anyway. Unless he finds something with a large carrier like NS, and is allowed to operate his trains all over the state, I don't see the use for all of them. I bet you that at least one will be displayed in front of the establishment. The only good side to him buying all these engines is he's protecting them from the elements. Wondering if he will run out of money, and the whole thing will fall apart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:26 pm 

Although I am glad he bought an engine I have never heard about, in my years. I had no idea this engine existed. I thought the only DT&I engine left was the 4-4-2 at the Henry Ford museum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:23 pm 

Steamguy:

Scott Trostel's book on the DT&I fails to mention this loco at all, and it appears that she was purchased from Baldwin in 1917 by Sturm & Dillard and remained there throughout her active career. The DT&I identification on the photo appears to be an error.

However, there is good news after all. Three DT&I steam locomotives do exist, and I have listed them in a separate thread in order to keep this thread from going too far astray.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:10 am 

Always figured AoS was a great setting for the home base of a collection of small locomotives that are hosted at mid-west/east coast/southern tourist/museum lines. Road transport of these tender locomotives is easy to the remote location after restoration to operation.

Rotate them back to AoS as needed for heavy work as needed, with AoS staff doing regular inspections, training local crews to run and do operational maintenance on them.

People across the land are exposed to steam, new blood learns how to operate them, and there is steady work at AoS for the next generation of young guns above and beyond fixing up the large locomotives in the collection (which if you have a long term view in mind will be complete at some point).

But hey, JJJ can do whatever he wants! :-)

Bob Bunge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 am 

I was recently made aware of sources of additional information on this loco. She was purchased from Sturm & Dillard by Art Davis, who had an affection for the B&O and DT&I. Consequently, he put B&O or DT&I logos on many of his items of railroad equipment. Art ran the locomotive for fun, and nicknamed her the "Jennie B." I could be wrong, but I doubt that any slope back DT&I tenders survived into the "modern" era of preservation.

This information comes from the Spring, 2009 issue of the Orrville Railroad Historical Society.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:21 am 

A person who was there tells me they are welding blocks in place to keep the loco from rolling during transport. The photo was reportedly taken at Erie PA, just prior to the move to Orrville.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:46 am 

bbunge wrote:
Always figured AoS was a great setting for the home base of a collection of small locomotives that are hosted at mid-west/east coast/southern tourist/museum lines. Road transport of these tender locomotives is easy to the remote location after restoration to operation.

Rotate them back to AoS as needed for heavy work as needed, with AoS staff doing regular inspections, training local crews to run and do operational maintenance on them.

People across the land are exposed to steam, new blood learns how to operate them, and there is steady work at AoS for the next generation of young guns above and beyond fixing up the large locomotives in the collection (which if you have a long term view in mind will be complete at some point).

Bob Bunge

An interesting concept!

And it could be expanded upon. I'm thinking of smaller road locomotives, like 2-6-0s, 4-4-0s, even smaller 4-6-0s and 2-8-0s. I'm thinking these engines could be shipped by rail, as this one was in the past, and as some other engines have been shipped recently, including at least one 4-8-4 and a 2-6-6-2. The relatively smaller power we're looking at, including these switchers, could even travel as one unit on a single flat car.

Such movement seems to be becoming relatively routine, given the difficulties some roads have with traffic capacity and other things. Handling these locomotives on and off flats is also becoming routine.

The only question becomes whether it's cheaper to ship by road or rail.

bbunge wrote:
But hey, JJJ can do whatever he wants! :-)

Bob Bunge

Isn't it nice to have just a little bit of money? :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:52 pm 

A friend who was there says it was 1971. The pickup was reputedly bought from the NYC. My friend says he knew the person who owned the 1956 Cadillac.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:07 pm 

A valid question would be if the lettering on the "MRHF" gon was done for the photo, or if it really was lettered that way? Unless the rules were different in 1971 (and they could have been), only a proper railroad can have reporting marks not ending in an "X".

Also, I have it on good authority that the gentleman with the torch was Art Davis himself, and the man leaning over the front of the locomotive from the pickup truck was Ted Church, who later helped form the former Lake Shore Chapter, NRHS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:36 pm 

Why was Southern, Central of Georgia, 349 painted in Crescent Green?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:45 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
Why was Southern, Central of Georgia, 349 painted in Crescent Green?

The Southern did have 4-4-0s in their B-series... Maybe it was close enough in appearance to one of the Southern's engines that the previous owners got away with Southernizing it?
Addendum: Other than dome placement, 349 doesn't look too far off;
http://hawkinsrails.net/mainlines/sr/steam/sr3841.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next