It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam gets another one
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:10 am 

The one concern that I have about AOS is that they are pretty much stripping this region of historic steam locomotives, and relocating them to a place where they are out of reach and out of context.

Rivers of Steel had bid on that Carnegie Steel Duquesne Works Porter 0-4-0T, but couldn't match what AOS had bid. Fair enough, but we had planned to bring it to Carrie Furnaces, restore it and operate it within an historic steel mill. For a locomotive that was built in Pittsburgh and used at a nearby Carnegie plant, it could have been a very big deal in steam starved Pittsburgh. Perhaps even the seed that gets our idea of a rail museum at Carrie off the ground.

But alas, it is now in central Ohio, where it has no significance and where it will forever be overshadowed by the larger, more impressive locomotives in the collection. An opportunity to run steam at a National Historic Landmark blast furnace plant has been lost.

And as time goes on and more locomotives are acquired, the options for small steam locomotive restorations will continue to diminish as the available candidates are scooped up. Now the rebuttal to this is that these locomotives are endangered to begin with, and for their sake it is better to give them a secure home than to leave them sit out and rot. Yes I can understand and appreciate that aspect as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:41 am 

Rick, I understand your point of view and frustration that something that you and your associates had hoped for the future seems like a lost opportunity. Take comfort that the Porter is safe and secure where it resides for now.

It should be obvious that what Mr. Jacobson is pursuing is fueled by his interest in preservation and operation. I don't believe for one minute that if there were a place that
Carnegie Steel Duquesne Works Porter 0-4-0T could be sent that is the original operating location for it that he would object to that proposition.

Preservationists may have different priorities with respect to what is preserved, but most of the ones I know get satisfaction out of seeing history being repeated.

I have only met Jerry once, at the Knox and Kane liquidation auction, and we spoke for maybe 2 or 3 minutes. But the man has the heart of a preservationist. If I were a member of your group, I would cultivate a relationship with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:59 am 

Im sure he is eying up some more engines(when they come up)I would think that the
"keep out" and "no trespassing" are simply there for insurance liability,he offers now large group tours,when the concept art was first shown there are some more buildings that aren't there yet,if I recall there was another 5 stall roundhouse on other side of turntable,
give it time as it will be 1 hell of an attraction with a full working machine shop,roundhouse,ect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:54 am 

I wonder if people would feel better if engines were being acquired and sold by AoS. That way if there's a place for an engine to be preserved, like Hot Metal is suggesting, then it's still a possibility. Has anybody contacted AoS about buying any of their equipment?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:00 am 

The idea of "Buy everything possible, then keep it all from public view" is pretty common in aviation preservation circles. I know, for example, of a B-17 bomber that was bought by a private collector, then put into a hangar never to be seen again. Even the people supposedly working on it have been sworn to secrecy and nobody even knows who they actually are. And for more than 15 years, nothing but rumors exist on the condition of the plane today (or even where it actually is for sure).
Jacobsen is hardly doing that, but a well-placed person I know at a very well-known tourist RR/steam shop once told described AOS as, "A sort of collection, shop, storage place and quasi-museum, maybe? Really, I have no idea what they're actually putting it there for..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:24 pm 

"A sort of collection, shop, storage place and quasi-museum . . ."

Sounds a lot better to me than "scrap yard", "derelict", or even "Lost Engines of . . . ".

I might start using that description for my place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:06 pm 

Having met Jerry Jacobson on several happy occasions and many steam rides, I'd say that if you're interested in an engine he has, let him know. He's seen a lot of "we'll fix that up, honest" projects over the years that ended badly and he wanted to prevent that with AoS. If he knows equipment will be properly restored and have a good home, he might go for a sale, trade or, at the least, a rental. Honest, he doesn't bite. He and his wife are easy to talk to once they know you love steam (and don't plan to argue politics.)

As for the "no trespassing" signs, he's terrified of lawsuits and wants big group tours with their own insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:18 pm 

If I remember correctly, the AOS website earlier this year did mention something about tours offered to the public this summer at select dates/times? I haven't heard anything about that since then...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:49 pm 

I think Becky has it about right. Of all the folks out there who might be bad guys, Jerry isn't one of them. The insurance issue is pretty important, but easy for many of us to conveniently forget about.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:23 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
I wonder if people would feel better if engines were being acquired and sold by AoS. That way if there's a place for an engine to be preserved, like Hot Metal is suggesting, then it's still a possibility. Has anybody contacted AoS about buying any of their equipment?

This was my biggest concern. I have a shortline starting up, and am already being shown several more opportunities by the class 1 we are leasing from. I collect and restore military equipment as well. So I had my heart set on purchasing, restoring, and operating the USA 612. I have been watching it for a long time. When I heard AoS bought it, I was a little heartbroken. It was actively being worked on (well at least the appliances) and wasn't in danger at the Southeastern Railway museum.

I will just wait and hope I can present a good offer showing I have the funds, shop, and place to run her and maybe she could be released from AoS. Time will tell. And her being there and receiving some more attention and possibly being stored inside is a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm 

I haven't really been following the AOS acquisitions closely.

Has he been actively pursuing acquisitions, or is he only taking advantage of possibilities as they occur? i.e. Is he going out and asking folks "Do you want to sell that locomotive?" or is it just sales and auctions that are already in process?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:51 pm 

Ummmmm.......... or you can offer to partner with AOS in support of your favorite project, and everybody wins.

Andrea Hairston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:25 pm 

i was wondering about how will Mr. Jacobson be able to show off his collection? He should be able to have 1293 run on NS rails or something to spread the word out even more to show he really cares about the rail fan community instead of shoving them into the roundhouse and no one sees them. Shouldn't 1293, 6325 or 33 be Jerry's top priority to get them back on the road and bring in more income to the AoS. Remember I don't think anyone seen 1293 since 2012, 6325 in 2004, 33 in 2008 isn't about time we see them again. I say that should be his top priority to get them back on the road ASAP. I think 1293 and 6325 are the only ones capable to run NS, G&W, or W&LE rails right now. I'm I wrong I could be but that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm 

I seem to recall reading somewhere the leasing locomotives from AoS is or is going to be a possibility in the future. I don't know how much truth there is to it and I can't recall where I read it, but I believe that's the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:25 pm 

First 1293 ran a couple of times in 2014, including a photo freight for some foreign visitors.

Second, while it would be nice for Jerry to have all his locomotives operable I'm going to guess that he doesn't like being told what his "top priority" should be. This is where the conversation turns from "preservation" to "foam". One is constructive, and one is not.

Last edited by Emmo213 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next