It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: European Complement to Trains Magazine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 am 

Can anyone recommend (in English) a magazine that covers Europe with the same balance of journalism, history, and technology as Trains Magazine in the USA?

I have seen some British magazines, but the ones I have seen seem to be mostly railfanning, without the in depth educational and policy articles that I expect from Trains.

Post subject: Re: European Complement to Trains Magazine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:23 am 

I'd suggest that Todays Railways - Europe produced by Platform 5 Publications in the UK is the best English language magazine that you will find which covers Europe as a whole.
It has been going since 1994, and I've been a subscriber for nearly all of that time. Articles are a good mix, and they don't get too technical either!
Not come accross anything comparable in Europe as the magazines I have seen tend to be specific to that Country, apart from being in the local language.

Note: Platform 5 produce another magazine called (confusingly) Todays Railways (UK) that covers just the UK & Ireland, so make sure you get the right one!

Last edited by 70000 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: European Complement to Trains Magazine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:22 am 

I would second "70000"s recommendation with the comment that "TRE" does things in its own way.

For the UK "Modern Railways" published by Key Publishing and produced by Transport Writing Services (http://www.modern-railways.com) is the best I can recommend. Pages 6 to 9 in the current (July) issue collate and describe the mess of Network Rail - covering both maintenance (replacements) and enhancements (electrification). This revelation almost certainly forced the Government statement in the House of Commons "delaying" electrification works on both the Midland "Main Line" (Bedford - Sheffield) and Trans-Pennine route (Stalybridge-Huddersfield-Leeds-York)!
The magazine does a news column covering European matters but only occasional full articles.