It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GE 45 ton wiring diagrams
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:27 am 

Wow- I haven't seen that engine in a long time. I "knew" it when it resided in Charleston, SC with the Charleston Chapter NRHS.

Logan Corp is still in business and says they are authorized GE distributor:

http://www.logancorp.com/locomotive.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 pm 

robertmacdowell wrote:
In this family, the 50t is an enigma to me. It is electromechanically identical to the 45t except being a 2-axle locomotive instead of 4. So the book says. I have never seen a picture of this whimsical beast, and the book has no illustrations.

I don't know how much it weighs, but the Georgetown Loop has a 3-ft gauge 2-axle GE: RRPicturesArchive.net - Pictures of GLRX 21

It came from the Rocky Mountain Steel Mills (formerly Colorado Fuel & Iron) in Pueblo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:31 am 

The 45 and 50 tonners are virtually identical with the exception of the ballast. Therefore the 50 tonner has 4 axles. 25 and 35 tonners have 2 axles. If there's a 50 tonner out there with 2 axles I've never heard of it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:44 pm 

Thank you all for your helpful posts. A member has graciously copied a set of diagrams he had and mailed them to me.

I will post updates on the restoration as they happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:39 pm 

Reviving an old thread here...we are searching for a wiring diagram for our 45-ton. Logan corp has no records for it. Is there another source folks are using?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:13 pm 

I posted a reply to your posting some time back, but never heard a word from you on the prints.

I did own a GE 50 ton that was built in the early 1960s, it was the same as a GE 45 ton at the time with extra ballast. It still had the Cummins HBI original engines. Not sure how the prints would compare to your early 45 ton, but I have 5 prints for the locomotive that I could copy.

Logan Corporation is no more, GE shut them down. There is still someone there to sell off what parts they have on hand and that will be it for them.

The NEW GE has decided that they will not support ANY locomotives that they have not built.

Another option is to contact Western Star Rail Services in Newark, Ohio. Dennis is really the go to guy for the small GE locomotives. He can be reached at 740-344-3336.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:17 am 

AlcoC420 wrote:
I posted a reply to your posting some time back, but never heard a word from you on the prints.

I did own a GE 50 ton that was built in the early 1960s, it was the same as a GE 45 ton at the time with extra ballast. It still had the Cummins HBI original engines. Not sure how the prints would compare to your early 45 ton, but I have 5 prints for the locomotive that I could copy.

Logan Corporation is no more, GE shut them down. There is still someone there to sell off what parts they have on hand and that will be it for them.

The NEW GE has decided that they will not support ANY locomotives that they have not built.

Another option is to contact Western Star Rail Services in Newark, Ohio. Dennis is really the go to guy for the small GE locomotives. He can be reached at 740-344-3336.

You might have me confused with someone else, but yes I will gladly accept copies of what you have.

The bill of sale from Duke to DTE lists this loco as a 50 even though everything else points to a 45; so we could be talking about the same model.

Thanks
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:24 pm 

I just finished a complete low voltage rewire on a 1957 50 ton GE. It went surprisingly well. The wiring diagram I have was used more as a reference than a complete schematic. It only had the major control circuits listed. Everything else(lights, heater, gauges and some relays) were not on the schematic. What I did wast make drawings for the terminal block at the top of the cabinet, the upper cabinet, lower cabinet, switch panel and back side of the gauge panel and listed every connection and wire number. The wires that were missing a number I referred to the schematic. If not listed I used an ohm meter to find the other end and hopefully found a number there. After cutting off ten pounds of rock hard electrical tape, I removed the entire harness in 3 pieces. It was built with two harnesses but to make life easy I cut the harness to the #2 engine/gen and made a third.

I took all the harnesses back to the shop and laid them one at a time on a big wood table in the general shape that they mount in the loco. I used screws to make channels and define the bends for the new wire. I used a sharpie to make a general map, show all breakouts and mark every terminal with number right on the table. Then I started laying down new wires and checking off numbers as I went. I had the old harness on another table to reference (which I did many times) with a continuity tester. It was time consuming but worked very well. When I reinstalled them, I just referenced my original map of connections, and a few pictures, and hooked everything back up.

I used Exane wire. 14 and 16 gauge I believe. That was the only two sizes used with the exception of the main + & -, and the charging circuit, but we eliminated that and went to alternators.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:43 pm 

Diesel expert Preston Cook, a frequent RyPN contributor, is in the middle of posting his collection of diesel specs and manuals in the HeritageRail Library on the HeritageRail Alliance website [url]heritagerail.org[/url].

Quite by coincidence, he has just posted the schematics for an Alco/GE 44-tonner. Not sure if they're identical to the 45-tonner, but certainly worth a look.

Anyone with a vintage diesel to maintain should check out the Library. There's already plenty of material on all the EMD models, plus some on the other builders. Preston is methodically scanning his collection, so more documents are being posted every week. Once it's done, I'll start a new thread to promote it.

Aaron Isaacs, HeritageRail Alliance editor