It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR 1361 Update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:18 pm 

Not trying to stir the pot here, but posting relevant information instead, the 1361's Boiler has returned to Altoona. It is currently inside the Roundhouse. Although there is still no real time frame on completion as far as I'm aware, it is a step in a positive direction. May the restoration of the 1361 continue to press onward!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 701&type=1

The Confirming photo link is above.

Post subject: Re: PRR 1361 Update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:28 pm 

Thanks for the photo.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:03 pm 

The ARRM issued this response on Facebook after receiving a loaded query about what is being done.

"When there is anything to report, there will be a press release issued by our Board of Directors. Until then, you are welcome at any time to pay admission and visit the roundhouse when it is convenient for you. The roundhouse is open to our paying visitors during our operating hours. Thanks for your interest!"

Posted without comment.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:22 pm 

This is wonderful news. What is the status of the other components? Has anybody mentioned a projected time frame for reassembly of the locomotive?

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:25 pm 

Understand this is a difficult topic but nothing pointed me to a clear answer.

What exactly is the status of the boiler, it it repaired?

not trying to start anything

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:39 pm 

Tom and RDG,

That's why I posted the ARRM Facebook statement.

They (wisely) are not making statements until they have an official update. There seems to be no info coming from the museum at the moment, which given the history of the project and reactions it generates, is probably a good idea.

Anything else is conjecture at this point.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:23 pm 

I guess, let's be glad what started years ago looks to be finally on the road again. Glad to see this quagmire get some steam in the right direction. Can anyone imagine the 1361 and the 5550? Whew. Now that'd be a fan trip!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 pm 

Without experienced leadership they are doomed to repeat the multitude of disasters of their past. They have never gone public with their restoration plan yet they keep using public funds without public disclosure. As a PA tax payer, I say no public plan then no public funding and wish others would write their PA legislators with the same request. Only when they disclose their plan can I even consider supporting this restoration.

I spent several years as a paid staff member of the museum, and this represents my experienced opinion.

Mike Tillger
The leader of the great group of workers who discovered the boiler flaws on the 1361 project

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:08 pm 

i'm not going to say never for this engine, seems some steps have happenned, the engine has operated in the past, all the arguements go nowheres, you can always have a donation plan, or as they mention here feel free to visit the roundhouse (pay) that may be part of fundraising there. But you have to -go- there, a fundraiser you can be anywhere and contribute.

so we're on the watch again...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:44 pm 

The T1 Trust raised over $20,000 on their latest Kickstarter program as of just today.

As for the group restoring the K4 - is there even a way to donate?

The two restorations are worlds apart with the T1 likely to run first.

Unless - rumors of a restoration to operation at a reduced boiler pressure and lower speeds is in progress. A neutered K4. I'd sooner delay the restoration and funds in hopes of having it done right.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
If someone wants to see a "Pennsy steamer" run, and done by the shop many insist the Altoona museum "shoulda had 1361 done at," there's the LIRR G5 project at Strasburg still "hurting for money".............

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
If someone wants to see a "Pennsy steamer" run, and done by the shop many insist the Altoona museum "shoulda had 1361 done at," there's the LIRR G5 project at Strasburg still "hurting for money".............

And of course, if anyone wants to see an actual Pennsy steamer running, head over to Williams Grove, PA - where on select weekends/weekdays, they operate PRR B4a 0-6-0 #643, the last operable PRR steamer still going today.

http://prr643.wix.com/wgrr1

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 am 

Alex#4 is correct regarding the G5s at Strasburg. It makes sense to support that effort now and have it completed by a shop that is a recognized "closer". The G5s project will raise funding for RMLI and Strasburg, will bring back some representative Pennsy power, and can only build enthusiasm for the second G5s project (#35), restoration of K4s #1361, and maybe the envisioned T1 project.

NEVER kick an organization involved in an uphill struggle. I think bringing the parts of 1361 together in its home location can be only good. Let's offer them our best wishes and support for resolving a tragic situation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Richard Glueck wrote:
NEVER kick an organization involved in an uphill struggle. I think bringing the parts of 1361 together in its home location can be only good. Let's offer them our best wishes and support for resolving a tragic situation.

Well said, Richard. Thank you. I'm glad to see 1361's boiler return to Altoona and I wish them the best.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:11 pm 

Well its a start,but unlikely they will do Any of the work there them selves,really needs to go to a place where they know what they are doing,so all in all it will sit till they get funds(over 1 million?)to have her under steam,maybe I will get to she her run twice in a lifetime