It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waynesburg & Washington RR Coach headed home
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:52 pm 

"A 122-year-old rail coach from the Waynesburg & Washington Railroad will come home to Greene County after years in a Connecticut museum.
The Greene County Historical Society will pair Coach 6 with an engine on display at its Waynesburg museum."

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/ ... z3j6ErNpDH

Post subject: Re: Waynesburg & Washington RR Coach headed home
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 pm 

I am thrilled to announce that Waynesburg & Washington coach 6 has successfully journeyed 500 miles back home - for the third time. It arrived in Waynesburg around noon on Monday, August 17. I have been working with the Connecticut Antique Machinery Association since early February concerning the acquisition. I made a trip in early May to inspect and negotiate with the board. We packaged the coach on Friday, August 14, and Saturday morning, August 15. The coach left Kent, CT, on Saturday around 7:30pm. It arrived in Waynesburg Sunday afternoon and was held in a secure location until Monday, August 17. The load and unload events were successful. The coach is currently tarped, sitting in front of our new enginehouse in Waynesburg on the Greene County Historical Society grounds. The next task is to have shop trucks manufactured so that the coach may be moved into the enginehouse.
Phase 2 of the project is underway which is grant writing for restoration costs.
I am ramping up a Facebook page for the coach move and restoration.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waynesburg-and-Washington-Railroad/105658212801811
Also access the link to the local newspaper for more info, photos and a short video.
http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20150817/NEWS02/150819521

Please feel free to contact me for more information. Thanks....JIM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:02 pm 

Sorry about the incorrect Facebook page in my last post. Please access the group page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/765908960186988/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 am 

When the coach is put into the enginehouse, where will the locomotive go to? Outside? Its far too precious to leave outside through a Pennsylvania winter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 pm 

There is plenty of room in the new enginehouse for both the locomotive and coach. We are currently working on finishing the concrete floor. Once completed, the coach will be be moved inside. There is no intent of leaving either piece outside.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 am 

OK, I just looked at the photos that I took last year of your new building and now see that there is plenty of room next to the locomotive for the coach on a second track. I was thinking that it was going to go on the same track as the loco.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:29 am 

Is this also the last piece of rolling stock of the W&W? Glad to see it back where it belongs.

Mike Stillwell
Buena Vista, VA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:08 pm 

Now if we could save Herman Payne's OR&W observation car (sigh...)

We have to see about going over your way. It's maybe thirty miles as the crow flies, but not as West Virginia roads run.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:56 pm 

I'd certainly second the motion to save OR&W car 5. It was savable the last time I saw it, but that was many years ago. Hopefully that's still the case. OR&W boxcar 418 was also on the property.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:49 pm 

OR&W #5 STILL OUT THEIR
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/si ... 2/id/77144
What it looked like

google street view -
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8371848 ... 1664?hl=en

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm 

I don't want to be negative about this, but I have to point out that I'm retired, and Bob Richardson's photo of OR&W no. 5 is 7 years older than I am, so we can't judge much from that. The more recent Google Maps view is 7 years old. It shows that the car exists, but gives no hint as to its condition. Can't tell anything about the boxcar body. I suspect it's gone. If it exists, it would be hidden by the buildings & vehicles to the right of no. 5. The Adair flagstop station building appears to be in pretty good shape. I suspect this project is not important enough to local people to be of much interest. Otherwise they would have done something by now. If current owners/custodians are amenable, Waynesburg seems to be the most appropriate location for these items. Of course, the Waynesburg folks may already have their hands full with what they have.

I admire what they're doing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 pm 

Mike....as far as I know, Coach 6 is the only extant piece of W&W rolling stock. I have a few photos of the last days of service where the yard workers are burning strings of wooden cars to scrap the metal. We have a rather decent listing of what happened to the passenger rolling stock - it was either sold to other railroads or burned in Waynesburg Yard. I have a newspaper article from 1993 that states the last coach was burned around September 15. Not sure of the coach number, but it was destroyed.
Rick.....Yes, the coach will be stored next to Locomotive #4 in the enginehouse. There is 10 feet between the locomotive and the enginehouse wall; the coach width is around 8 feet, so there is plenty of room. The Society is soliciting bids to finish the floor. It will be all concrete. Once I get a pair of shop trucks made, the coach will be pushed inside and then slid to the open slot.
Becky and Tom....can I get more information on the OR&W car(s)? I know of their existence, but have lost track over the years. Yes, I do have my hands full right now with kicking off fundraising for restoration work, but might entertain the idea of bringing the car(s) to Waynesburg. However, it's going to take more than just me to make the Coach 6 project become reality, or for that fact, acquire the OR&W cars. Assistance anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:48 pm 

Mind, we haven't been by Herman and Ruth Payne's (now I'm questioning whethey it's Payne or Paine) place since this spring. The car was still there with the tarp half blown off. Herman had the roof wood replaced and he and Robert Richardson found someone to do the proper roofing on it, but that was close to twenty years ago. He used to tarp the car every winter and leave it out in summer so people could appreciate it. Herman is gone now, and I don't know whether Ruth is still on the farm or not; if not, their son may have taken over, because the house looks well cared for. Adair Station, by the way, is a recreation--a faithful one, but a recreation.

Last time we were there, just before Herman died, the boxcar was there but in very bad condition. If it's still there, it's behind the beat-up shed along the farm lane.

Now I wonder whether Dave Adair (near Cambridge) or Dan Frizzi would know what's going on with the rolling stock. The recent acquisition of the Stone Viaduct and the plans to develop the old pipeyards under it as a local history spot may affect things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:07 pm 

First time I met Herman Paine (that's the spelling in HIDDEN TREASURES), he was already up in years. Nevertheless, he was up on his porch roof, doing repairs. That was in the 1960's. He was a remarkably spry guy, and very welcoming and anxious to talk with us about his car.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:12 pm 

Just a thought: If you just want shop trucks, rather than fully accurate replicas of the originals, have you thought about contacting Kovalcik about getting some Vulcans from the East Broad Top? Then the correct replicas can come later. I understand some of the hopper cars at Mt. Union have been scrapped lately, but cannot confirm this.

Tom