It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preservation Opportunity - PBNE Switchers?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:35 pm 

Just curious if anyone has ever though of perusing one of the former Philadelphia, Bethlehem and New England switchers. Apparently the entire fleet is still stored, along with slugs and some other stuff, on one of the former yards in Bethlehem.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6096156 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I imagine the majority of them are all junk by now, having been stored for almost 20 years, but it would be neat to see one preserved. PBNE was a very important road at one point.

Post subject: Re: Preservation Opportunity - PBNE Switchers?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:46 am 

If you're interested, might want to provide a roster and contact information for making inquiries.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:53 pm 

The good news that the oldest PB&NE unit left with us returned to regular operation this year on the new Allentown &Auburn operation out of Kutztown, PA.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
There's a similar "stash" at the Bethlehem Steel/Patapsco & Back Rivers RR in Sparrows Point, Md.

I was told one party was seeking out the former Ma & Pa SW1 that is in that gaggle of switchers, but how far they've gotten I have no idea.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:30 pm 

Also on the A&A is EPRY 52 which according to some volunteers is waiting to be picked up by East Penn, while others thought it was now the A&A's, I don't know the story. I had read somewhere that the MA&PA SW1 ended up in Berwind. The following link doesn't mention the MA&PA but it ssems to match the disposition I had heard of. https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_hunt/3408355964/ I'll have to dig out my old LV NRHS book which may have some good info. If there aren't any PBNE Historical Societies out there I'd be glad to see one come around.