It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Retained Locomotive Steam Generators
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:11 pm 

I think the couple remaining EMD NW5s still have steam generators,(Mass Central has the last one built which is ex Southern and was used to switch the Southern Crescent), as does the sole remaining Fairbanks Morse H24-66 Train Master up in Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 pm 

AlcoGuy wrote:
I think the couple remaining EMD NW5s still have steam generators,(Mass Central has the last one built which is ex Southern and was used to switch the Southern Crescent), as does the sole remaining Fairbanks Morse H24-66 Train Master up in Canada.

CP 8905 doesn't nor has ever had for that matter a steam generator. I understand it may be equipped with dynamic brakes for mountain service but never with steam heat equipment. Also the Mass Central unit for sure lacks a boiler last time I checked. A phone call to their general manager confirmed this question a while back. On the other hand I'm well aware that the CNZR has at least 3 boiler equipped units including that new GP-9 they purchased from the MBTA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:43 am 

As noted before. The Friends of SP4449 utilize steam heat for their Christmas Train. Yes the cars are heated by the Steam Engine, but the steam engine is first filled using our Steam Generator Car and a Vapor Steam Generator. If needed we have plenty of parts and replacement Generators and most parts are NOS.

Todd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm 

At SMRS our RS1 former AA 20 has this unit in the short hood, is this some sort of steam generator or just a hot-start unit? Unit 21 either did not have this or it was removed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 814&type=3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:39 pm 

That's a Vapor Corp. "Watchman", a small SG designed to keep the diesel engine cooling water hot in freezing temps, when loco is shut down at outlying terminals.

An early version of the current APUs.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:01 pm 

Contrary to some belief, unfortunately none of the Ann Arbor's RS1s were ever fitted or re-built with steam generators. According to Alco, RS-1s in general were limited to two options: one with boiler fitting or simply a plain hooded unit to which the AA selected the latter. However in the 70s the AA did end up purchasing two ex-GB&W RS-2s which to my recollection were as-built with boilers for passenger service. Though the GB&W never got to actually use them (P.S. ended in 49) it's said that AA on rarity did use the units for occasional business car heating. I'm not entirely sure though if any excursions were run with steam heat. As of today both units #301-303 are formerly rostered by the SMRS and kept storage in Minnesota with one scrapped.

Attachments:
N30.jpg
N30.jpg [ 247.36 KiB | Viewed 5192 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 pm 

Southern 6900 E8 has had it's Steam Generator removed and a weight installed.
Southern 6133 FP7 still has it's Steam Generator.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:31 am 

Doing some looking around I recently found out that ex-RDG steam generator car #92100 is still lurking in Holban Yard, Queens. The LIRR purchased it from the Reading in the 50s to heat passenger cars awaiting service in the Morris Park shops. Apparently the railroad is continuing to use it as an office despite steam heat being a relic of the distant past. I'm not sure if it still retains its steam gennies but certainly it is holding up for the better.

Attachments:
W-95ExRDGsteamgeneratorcarMorrisPark1-1969JimGillin.jpg
W-95ExRDGsteamgeneratorcarMorrisPark1-1969JimGillin.jpg [ 75.73 KiB | Viewed 4679 times ]