It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Railroad of Museum of Pa, roundhouse update
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:14 pm 

Hi,

The one time I visited Scranton, the old DL&W(?) roundhouse had a viewing platform around the back of the roundhouse that was the viewing platform. It did not extend between the locos.

FWIW.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:21 pm 

Excerpt from the transcript of Director Jeffrey Bliemester's State of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania delivered on September 26, 2015 as published in the Milepost (Friends of the Railroad Museum publication):

"... The various agencies in Harrisburg associated with the project spent 2014 and early 2015 revisiting the specifications, plans and permits needed to start the work. Some of the required paperwork was outdated and needed to be refiled prior to moving forward. The latest word is that the project is about ready to go to bid and, with any luck, we will be break ground in late March or early April of next year. With additional luck, that will mean a ribbon cutting ceremony about two years from today..."

Regards,

Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 pm 

Here are a few architectural renderings of the "proposed" roundhouse for the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. I'm sure many of you have already seen these, although I thought I might post them in case anyone hasn't. For the record, these were both found with just a quick google search. After taking a look at the second image, I certainly understand the 'car dealership' feeling now.

Best,
/Andrew

Attachments:
File comment: RMPA Roundhouse Rendering 1
523342d96b1d6.image.jpg
523342d96b1d6.image.jpg [ 251.47 KiB | Viewed 7909 times ]
File comment: RMPA Roundhouse Rendering 2
1131_RMPa_Exterior-Rendering_Update-960x689.jpg
1131_RMPa_Exterior-Rendering_Update-960x689.jpg [ 127.83 KiB | Viewed 7909 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:22 pm 

Part of me wants to refrain from second-guessing this plan because I know the building is badly needed, so in that sense maybe any building is a good building. However, I've always believed Bishop Road should be truncated and the new roundhouse built in that area. It should be set back a significant distance from the turntable pit, and the turntable stalls should be very deep. Maybe they should be deep enough to house two engines per stall. I haven't seen information on the dimensions of the new building and its distance from the pit, but the artist's conception looks less than ideal.

I want to be wrong.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:16 pm 

How does having the roundhouse as a totally detached structure make sense? Guests will have to go out in the weather to pass between the exhibit hall and the roundhouse. That's fine on a clear spring or fall day, but rain and snow happen. Historically, there were roundhouses that directly connected to the back shop.

-Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:21 pm 

Joshua K. Blay wrote:
Excerpt from the transcript of Director Jeffrey Bliemester's State of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania delivered on September 26, 2015 as published in the Milepost (Friends of the Railroad Museum publication):

"... The various agencies in Harrisburg associated with the project spent 2014 and early 2015 revisiting the specifications, plans and permits needed to start the work. Some of the required paperwork was outdated and needed to be refiled prior to moving forward. The latest word is that the project is about ready to go to bid and, with any luck, we will be break ground in late March or early April of next year. With additional luck, that will mean a ribbon cutting ceremony about two years from today..."

Regards,

Joshua

If my ability to read has not completely failed me, this locomotive display facility is nearly a done deal. Designs approved, permits applied for and funding pending. Remember, everybody, this is a DISPLAY building and NOT in any way or shape designed to interpret the function of a roundhouse. To continue to criticize the design is a waste of time and electrons. If anyone wants to see a recreation of a working roundhouse, go see Jerry in Ohio.
Maybe they have the right idea at IRM. Avoid the politics and throw up another pole barn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:59 pm 

Mark Trebing wrote:
How does having the roundhouse as a totally detached structure make sense?
Mostly it's because the turntable is already in place, and it's well away from the main building.
Like it or not, it's the reality of the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:53 pm 

Quote:
Remember, everybody, this is a DISPLAY building and NOT in any way or shape designed to interpret the function of a roundhouse.

I like the concept of all of the glass so that the roundhouse is "see-through." An innovative display that (unfortunately) goes with the lines of the original RRMPa building. The use of the windows mimics the National Air & Space Museum, and the original Smithsonian display of SR 1401, where each allows you to see the artifacts on display at night, after hours etc. The display of Central Pacific RR No. 3 at Sacramento also comes to mind.

Your mileage and opinion may vary.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:20 pm 

As I recall from the original plans, each stall of the proposed roundhouse is shorter than the previous one due to property line setback requirements and the location of the turntable. The plan is for the M-1b to occupy the longest stall and the A-5s the shortest. In between will be some of the other PRR engines. Ironic that the building adapted from a Reading design will house PRR engines, but I'm glad they will finally be under cover.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:48 pm 

I don't hate this.

I think this building will cost less than a dead-accurate recreation with arched brick windows and steel sash. What I see here is a visitor-friendly building that might end up being a dramatic and well-lit showcase for four lucky steam locomotives.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 am 

Exactly. It is a showcase and makes use of the turntable as an efficient means of getting stuff in and out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:02 pm 

From a January 13 post at the pennsyrr.com blog, we have the following interesting information about the State of Pennsyvania's RR Museum roundhouse project:
http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/entry/museum-group-technical-society-launch-campaign-to-preserve-five-pennsylvania-railroad-steam-locomotives
Quote:
STRASBURG, Pa. – The Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society have begun a campaign to preserve five Pennsylvania Railroad steam locomotives. The locomotives are slated for display in a new roundhouse to be constructed at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

During a ceremony to welcome PRR E6s 4-4-2 No. 460 back into the museum collection following a six-year cosmetic restoration, Friends President Don Lotz announced the “Ready for the Roundhouse” project. The PRR steam locomotives will be cosmetically restored, media-blasted and painted. The five engines are:

M1b 4-8-2 No. 6755, built at Juniata Shops in Altoona, Pa. in 1930
K4s 4-6-2 No. 3750, built at Juniata in 1920
L1s 2-8-2 No. 520, built by Baldwin in 1916
H10s 2-8-0 No. 7688 built by Lima in 1915
B6sb 0-6-0 No. 1670 built at Juniata in 1916

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Director Jeff Bliemeister said the state’s Historical & Museum Commission has approved all documents and drawings for the proposed six-stall, $6.1 million roundhouse. He expects the Commission to solicit bids for construction soon, with groundbreaking in the spring. Construction would be completed in 18 months, he said.

Donations to the Ready for the Roundhouse campaign can be made at http://www.rrmuseumpa.org. Tax deductible contributions may also sent to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, P.O. Box 125, Strasburg, PA 17579.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 am 

The Roundhouse is a state project, funded with government money and designed by a government selected designer. The money is still there and the project needs to be sent out to bid. Meanwhile, the Museum is using the extra time to spruce up the other locomotives, beyond 460, that are intended to be displayed in the building when it is done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:29 pm 

It will be interesting to see what the binding process will disclose.

Many years ago, I learned that the museum’s current workshop building was initially designed as a two-track facility. As sufficient time pasted between the initial design and cost estimate phase and actual construction; earmarked funding was sufficient for only a single-track building. Passage of time will affect costs, so it will be interesting to learn about any changes in current budget are and how they may or may not impact the project.

Jim K