It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Latest from the Strasburg Rail Road Shops
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:41 pm 

jasonjohnson wrote:
Kelly,

I am curious what material you used for the driving boxes? Were you able to use a standard alloy or a special blend? I often here lots of discussion about metallurgy and am curious if you would share with the group how you choose your materials.

Thanks,
Jason

Greetings Jason,

I as well as several others (I'd wager SRC included) find it best to seek OEM specifications for material types. If I had my copies of the Baldwin, ALCo and Lima specification books with me I'd gladly share what they have to say.

I do know there are driving box steel specs in at least two of the three. However, those specs are for boxes which utilize crownbrasses. For your driving boxes (as well as many other material specifications) I'd purchase a copy of Niagara blueprints from the New York Central Historical Society: http://nycshs.net/NYCS-Drawing-Files-St ... p_189.html

There is likely to be much information contained given the similarity in equipment between the Niagaras and J1s.

Cheers, Jason

Cheers, Jason

Post subject: Re: The Latest from the Strasburg Rail Road Shops
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:31 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Looks nice. Care to share your choice of lumber for the lining? Also, what is the black around all the bolt heads. I assume some sort of sealant, but what?

The sealant is Sikaflex 221.

Howard P. wrote:
I seem to recall that when the CV and Rutland boxcars were rebuilt by SRC about 15-20 years ago, redwood or mahogany was used for the sheathing. Did that material not hold up in service?

This car was resided with mahogany in 1993. The siding was generally still in good condition except where pierced by steel fasteners. The theory is that the steel rusting created a reaction in the wood that caused it to rot away from the surface of the bolt. All of those fasteners have been replaced with stainless, and sealed as noted above.

Scranton Yard wrote:
Mr. Anderson - is this SRR's first use of Boral TruExterior siding? If not, please share your experience with using this product. I am particularly interested in cutting, fastening, painting, durability, and dimensional stability vs. various wood species and any other materials you have used for siding. Thank you.

This is the first time we have used this product. The main comment from the carpenters is that it has little structural strength, and needs to be backed up and supported by the plywood behind it.

bigjim4life wrote:
It's amazing how many steam locomotives around this country there are that have had some form of Strasburg work done on them. I'd be curious to know if anyone had a percentage of engines that have Strasburg-produced or machined/refurbished parts.

I don’t know how many locomotives we have supplied parts for, possibly most of the operable locomotives in the US, as well as a couple overseas. The majority of our work orders list “locomotive-general” as the project, unless the customer has multiple locomotives that they want invoiced by number, in which case, we will add that number to our database. At this time, we have fifty-nine specific numbers listed ranging from #1 to #7688, nine single digit, twenty double digit, twenty-two triple digit, and eight quadruple digit. The work involved has ranged from supplying $10 worth of flexible cap gaskets, to complete restorations to service.

jasonjohnson wrote:
I am curious what material you used for the driving boxes? Were you able to use a standard alloy or a special blend? I often here lots of discussion about metallurgy and am curious if you would share with the group how you choose your materials.

These boxes were cast in 1020 mild steel, which falls within the AAR M-201 spec for steel castings, is fairly easy to machine, and is easily weldable to simplify future repairs.