It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: More active steam locomotives to return at Steamtown?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:08 pm 

superheater wrote:
"This begs the question if they would even be allowed to run revenue freight under the NPS guidelines? Let's say that SNHS did start running revenue freight, would they be able to retain the proceeds?"

I was arguing reductio ad absurdum. The point was reciprocity.

It's not a nefarious clause, it merely enumerates the rights of a signatory in the same way a franchisee has geographic covenants not to compete.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:17 pm 

I've been following this forum for a couple of months and hope my first post is interpreted as constructive. After the last few posts, I may need to break out my thesaurus. Concerning "visiting steam", I am pretty sure the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railway runs on rails owned by the National Park Service. Almost every year, they have a visiting steam locomotive. Somehow, they have found a way to make it work. What circumstances would make Steamtown NHS different from Cuyahoga Valley National Park when allowing visiting steam to run on their rails?

Roger Cole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:39 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26099&hilit=Time+to+End+the+Steamtown+Debate+Once+and+For+All

We sell tickets and the proceeds go to your choice of restoration projects.

If posters are entitled to polite, civil criticism, then why aren't organizations they put their time and effort into also entitled to polite, civil criticism?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:50 pm 

"I can’t find any good websites that describe how each NPS site is funded, if anyone has a link that they can post I would be grateful. For example, in what ways can the park retain funds that are generated on site instead of it going back into the general fund?"

Here you go, all 638 pages.

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/upload/FY-2016-Greenbook.pdf

and last years:

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/upload/FY-20 ... Linked.pdf

Last edited by superheater on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 pm 

"Are you speaking on behalf of an organization?"

No and that's not what I said. There isn't a person in their right mind that would put me in charge of public relations or anything like it.

"Linking a thread topic that you started in 2008 does not bolster your argument."

My argument is that one poster has a lengthy record of complaining about one facility, and that it's not balanced, nor has he attempted to do anything to do something positive to address his grievances. The 2008 link shows a portion of how long that person has complained without doing anything. That post was an offer to end it definitively, and it was evaded. Here we are, with enough time having elapsed to outlive the back luck of a broken mirror, and we're still listening to people throwing stones from glass houses.

I volunteer 100-150 hours a year, so figure about 1000 since then with a current total posting.php?mode=edit&f=1&p=241769#of about 3500, and I don't roll my butt out of bed on Saturday in the dark, leaving the warm bed to the Mrs, to battle 18 wheelers for a couple hours without a deep interest in the place. I already acknowledged there are problems and challenges, but I'm using my time and professional skills to be a part of a group that wants to be part of a forward-looking group that will work to improve Steamtown and before we've even cut the umbilical cord on the baby, we're getting some really old and repetitive complaints.

I know a lot of good people from my time at Steamtown. I get tired of seeing people lob Molotov cocktails at them.

Last edited by superheater on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4