It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Hinckley Locomotive Works Information
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hello forumites! I'm looking for any information on a locomotive built by this Boston, MA-based company in 1853. An image would be a bonus although I realize given my time period a photograph might be elusive. Any advice?

Best regards,

Joshua

Post subject: Re: Looking for Hinckley Locomotive Works Information
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:40 pm 

The NRHS put out a booklet years ago that listed all the locomotive builders. I would bet that they probably did a roster of the locomotives that were built by them. Seem to recall a color print of an early Hinkley.

Good Luck !

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 am 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
See Railroad History 142 (Spring 1980). It includes not just a history of Hinkley by John H. White Jr., but a (mostly) complete construction record for the company (1841-1889) compiled by William Edson.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:08 pm 

I have that issue, can you advise the RR or what information you have?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:59 am 

Thank you, I am looking for information on an engine built for the Syracuse & Binghamton Rail Road (of New York State) called Homer built c. 1853.

Best regards,

Joshua

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:06 am 

Hinckley constructed 75 locomotives in 1853. In November they finished 7 for the S&B, builders # 488-494. "Homer" was the first of the lot. There is confusion in the rosters as to wheel arrangement. Could have been an 0-4-0 or a 4-4-0. All had 54" drivers, and 20" stroke. All had inside connected valve gear. "Homer" was shown in two rosters as having either 13" or 15" cylinder dimension. Delivered weight was @ 40,000.
I did a quick look at digitized newspapers, but did not see anything about this locomotive. But that was just a quick look, there should be information about the RR and maybe something about the locomotive order. That was big news back then.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 am 

The Hinkley list I have came from "Locomotive Book in Boston Public Library". #488 is shown as an 0-4-0 with 13x20 cylinders shipped as Syracuse & Binghamton "Homer" on November 29, 1853. As stated the S&B bought Hinkley 488-494, 490 was an identical 0-4-0 and the rest were 4-4-0s with 16x20 cylinders.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:40 am 

A note of caution here. Any reference to a builder number for Hinckley locomotives must also show that there were no actual builder numbers assigned. Whatever number is used is simply a sequential list, and the sequence of Hinckley-built locomotives is the subject of active research and discussion.

I wrote this a couple years ago: "The Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in its Bulletin 142, published in 1980, included a list of all locomotives built by Hinkley & Williams. That list shows a locomotive for Union Pacific built in 1865 numbered as UPRR 6 and named Black Hawk. But the article also shows that the records of the Hinkley locomotive works were mostly destroyed, and that *any* listing is a reconstruction from other incomplete material. Included is a reference to three other UPRR locomotives that were likely built at about the same time. Earlier lists of Hinkley locomotives, both handwritten and typewritten, do not show these four locomotives."

Here is a link to a PDF of the portion of the R&LHS Bulletin 142 that applies to the Union Pacific's so-called Black Hawk locomotive, including the introduction to the Hinckley list itself.

http://www.utahrails.net/images/hinkley-blackhawk.pdf

More about Black Hawk:

http://www.utahrails.net/up-steam-roster/black-hawk.php

Don Strack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:05 pm 

I'm aware that there is just one complete Hinkley locomotive still in existence, that being Lion of the Machiasport Railroad (reputed to be Hinkley & Drury C/N 62, 1846), now at the Maine State Museum in Augusta.

However, does anyone know if there are any Hinkley builder's plates still around? Given the uncertainty surrounding Hinkley construction numbers, I'm curious what information they may have shown.

I know there are some disconnected parts and fragments of other Hinkley engines still out there, among the most notable being the boiler of the 2' gauge Puck of the Billerica & Bedford RR (reputed to be Hinkley C/N 1261 of 1877), later Sandy River RR No. 2, which is now in the collection of the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes group in Phillips, ME. I believe I've also seen some Hinkley bells. Surely there must be a builder's plate out there somewhere.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:36 pm 

I have a large lithograph (somewhat over 1' X 2') of a Hinkley & Williams 4-4-0. From the construction list linked above, it is from 1866. Here is a picture of the builders' plate. It appears to be around 3 to 4 ft. tall, so it would be quite a large object. (That is, of course, assuming they used the same type of builders plate in previous years as well).

Attachments:
Hinckley 780.jpg
Hinckley 780.jpg [ 65.88 KiB | Viewed 9242 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:22 am 

Later Hinkley engines had smaller smokebox-mounted builder's plates, much like those of other builders. Here is one on Monson RR No. 2, the G. S. Cushing, built in 1884 and listed as Hinkley C/N 1661. It's a pity it's not legible. (Perhaps it would be if I were working with a print from the original glass plate negative, but that's not the case.)

Attachments:
Monson2_HinkleyCN1661of1884_buildersplate.jpg
Monson2_HinkleyCN1661of1884_buildersplate.jpg [ 108.92 KiB | Viewed 9224 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 pm 

Hello all,
Yes, I am looking for Hinkley locomotive builder's information. I do understand that R&LHS has a pamphlet with the roster information (such as it is) but is there not a PDF of the roster or other listing on-line? It seems to me that somebody is trying to horde the information.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 pm 

sjwhitney wrote:
Hello all,
Yes, I am looking for Hinkley locomotive builder's information. I do understand that R&LHS has a pamphlet with the roster information (such as it is) but is there not a PDF of the roster or other listing on-line? It seems to me that somebody is trying to horde the information.
Have you thought about buying a hard copy of Bulletin #142 from the R&LHS?

Or the issues - in PDF format - are available through JSTOR (an acronym for Journal Storage, see http://www.jstor.org/). This is a fee for service non-profit; but a number of libraries at institutions of higher learning or other locations provide access for users. Also members of R&LHS are provided with a JSTOR log-in for the R&LHS publication.

What Railway & Locomotive Historical Society membership includes is found here: Join or Renew R&LHS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm 

They existed under a few different names. If you haven't already tried these, check out google books or archive.org or google images.

I was looking into the company a while back and found lots of history and pictures too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hinkley ... 20&bih=969

https://archive.org/search.php?query=hi ... ks&sin=TXT

https://www.google.com/search?q=hinkley ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Special:S ... &fulltext=

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:19 pm 

Folks,
This is slightly off topic but the mention of Monson Railroad #2 reminds me that when Hinkley closed about 1890; their patterns went to the Portland Company, which built some rather old fashioned locomotives with them.

Among them was the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes #6; she is not restored as WW&F #9 at Alna, Maine.

Her builder's plate is based on one at the Phillips Historical Society, as I understand it.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member