It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR T1 Trust posted update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 am 

I did not see this here. If it is a duplicate, please remove this post.

The T1 Trust building the 4-4-4-4 from rails up posted some impressive pictures on FB. You can find them easily by searching T1 Trust on FB.

It looks like the boiler is coming along nicely and they even posted some pics of firebox parts being made currently. I believe they said the smoke box is being attached next. How cool will it be for them to set the cab and nose on completed boiler.

They said they went with the N&W style front tube sheet. Can someone explain that to me?

Post subject: Re: PRR T1 Trust posted update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05 pm 

where is the boiler being made?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:25 pm 

Continental Fabricators in St. Louis. That is where the 1385 boiler was made for Mid Continent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:37 pm 

I'm not going to start anything after saying so please lets not debate this. if I would start a group to do a new build then I would go to continental. the locomotive would be based on a k-5 4-6-2 from the Erie. again lets not get into this new build I have in mind. ok?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:07 pm 

Good to see more updates from that group, it’s been a while. The best way for them to earn money is to post continuous updates and show the fruits of their labor.

On an unrelated matter, if there’s one group that does that method of posting updates perfectly, it’s the Lynton and Barnstaple railway group over in England. I’m not a Brit or have I ever visited Britain, and i probably wouldn’t think about them much if I didn’t follow them. They make sure to post updates of the weekly work sessions, reviews from customers, and other stuff like old and new photographs every single day. Quite a fun operation to follow if I do say so myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:14 pm 

As explained on their FB page, they had not posted any progress in a while because they had agreed to allow Continental to focus on 1385.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:11 pm 

"N&W Style" front tube sheet is a tube sheet welded to a ring riveted into the inside diameter of the smokebox.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:22 am 

Looks like it won't be long before tubes will start to go in. After that I expect some pretty serious donations to come in. In the beginning of this project I wasn't sure if it would make much progress. But now I can see this is going to happen. Will be exciting to see this locomotive going down the rails.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 am 

They will not be installing tubes for quite some time as the clock stats to run on the boiler once the tubes are installed.

§ 230.17 One thousand four hundred seventy-two (1472) service day inspection.

(a) General. Before any steam locomotive is initially put in service or brought out of retirement, and after every 1472 service days or 15 years, whichever is earlier, an individual competent to conduct the inspection shall inspect the entire boiler. In the case of a new locomotive or a locomotive being brought out of retirement, the initial 15 year period shall begin on the day that the locomotive is placed in service or 365 calendar days after the first flue tube is installed in the locomotive, whichever comes first. This 1472 service day inspection shall include all annual, and 5th annual, inspection requirements, as well as any items required by the steam locomotive owner and/or operator or the FRA inspector. At this time, the locomotive owner and/or operator shall complete, update and verify the locomotive specification card (FRA Form No. 4), to reflect the condition of the boiler at the time of this inspection. See appendices A and B of this part.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:27 am 

WESIII-good point. In fact, given the cost and complexities involved, perhaps the frame/running gear could be a focus before tube installation occurs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:47 am 

Thanks for info on the N&W style tube sheet. I can see it now.

They have stated they are currently completing engineering on frame to convert it to a weldment (sp?) using some cast parts. I saw a presentation at the PRR convention back in May. Scott (their CMO) stated while the boiler was being built, the frame engineering would be completed so they can start on it sometime in 2021. They want to have boiler done in 2020 minus the tubes for reasons stated above.

He also mentioned the tender they own would start to be rebuilt in 2020. I am not sure if that presentation is online, but it was very detailed and well thought out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:20 pm 

Is there a facility left anywhere in the world that would be capable of casting a locomotive frame? I have to wonder what issues may crop up with a weldment replacement but there may not be an alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:58 pm 

What they are doing makes a great deal of sense. If places capable of casting such a large and complex piece ("we can cast in everything but the engineer and fireman" was the boast of one vendor, perhaps GSC) nowadays it's because superior welding has supplanted it.

So take the frame design and break it into segments, perhaps adding some areas where the joins will be and fabricate the pieces with castings and stock bits, machine as needed, bring it together for welding. Heat treat as needed. Then further machining on the full piece.

Far better to have small pieces not turn out as desired and redo than (maybe) have to have multiple goes on the entire frame.

It's amazing this is really happening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:09 pm 

Amazing project. Best wishes to all involved.
Do new welded boilers still have to be stress relieved? I was told this requirement was dropped.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:40 pm 

John D wrote:
WESIII-good point. In fact, given the cost and complexities involved, perhaps the frame/running gear could be a focus before tube installation occurs.

Well, it would be probably better to wait for the firebox end to be built and attached to the boiler first..... of course it's easier to get in and out of the boiler now.