It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:36 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 391
It is really exciting to see all of the goings on at the Age of Steam Roundhouse.

I would like to make a correction to one of the statements made about M & NF #12's replacement tender. They stated that this was a larger tender given to the engine by the Morehead and North Fork. It is true that #12 had 2 tenders that it used during its time in Clearfield. However, the tender they have replicated is the original that came with the engine in 1952. The other tender is from #10 (2-8-0) that was scrapped the about the same time #12 came on the property. I have photos of #12 with both tenders. That tender must have been the best tender that the railroad had as it ended up with #11 (2-6-2) that left in 1964 and is currently located in Everett PA in front of the depot. I find it great that #11, #12, and #14 are still in existence and that #12 and #14 (Big South Fork Scenic Railway in Stearns, KY ) are being restored to operating condition. Not too bad for a small short line to have this kind of legacy left behind.

JD Johnson, Morehead North Fork Railroad Historian.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:27 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:44 am
Posts: 627
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
AOS has 18 steam locomotives now- a larger collection than many museums.

_________________
David Wilkinson
KSL TV, Salt Lake City, UT


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:46 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Pac NW, via North Florida
I marvel at this collection. With each update email I get, it seems there's news of at least 2-3 new steam locomotives acquired by them.
It'll take anyone's lifetime to do even cosmetic restorations for them all.

_________________
Lee Bishop


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:27 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:15 pm
Posts: 125
p51 wrote:
I marvel at this collection. With each update email I get, it seems there's news of at least 2-3 new steam locomotives acquired by them.
It'll take anyone's lifetime to do even cosmetic restorations for them all.


You do have to remember he already owned like 6 or 7 of these engines, and has operated them. 1551, 6325, 13, 33, and the 3 only need a little bit in order to operate. Engines like 12, 763, and others need more. The team episode expanding, as there were only 5 people in the FAQ section, and seems to be at around 12 or 13 employees now (all are probably full time.)

Also, Jacobson is a millionaire. He has the fortune that all rail fans and museums dream to have. If he gets more employees, and can generate some profit with the freights he said in the FAQ, the establishment could become a modern restoration facility. He has a depot with people working in it, and it is very possible that restoration progress could speed up. From 5 years, to 3 years, to 2 years, to 1. It is very possible.

One more thing. There is not immediate restoration plans for every steam locomotive. Most of these engines will have to wait a damn long while to even get in the shop. 105 and 1190 have no immediate plans for restoration at the moment. 33 and 12 are in the shop now, and focus is on completing machines to make restoration easier for future engines.

To end it off, I will assume that some cosmetic restoration will probably be done to 1190, 612, and 41, then continuing operational restoration with engines 13, 1551, and 6325. THIS IS AN ASSUMPTION AND IS NOT OFFICIAL. Just my thoughts of what will happen next.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:29 pm 

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:57 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Catching the Eastbound
Actually the employment at the roundhouse is 5 full time and 4 part time in the shops. Main office has 2 full time employees. We maintain a small, hard working staff.
The crew picture shows all of the above as well as the volunteers, thus making the shop force look pretty large.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 5252
Location: southeastern USA
Time to build more stalls.

_________________
"Techies never minded eating bits and jots of their work. They were grit and grease inside and out and could turn a pile of junk into a magical kingdom."

Andrea Hairston


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:52 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 127
I'm not anywhere close, wish I was. Does AoS allow volunteers to work there? What are the requirements?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Update
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:46 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Pac NW, via North Florida
Steamguy73 wrote:
p51 wrote:
I marvel at this collection. With each update email I get, it seems there's news of at least 2-3 new steam locomotives acquired by them.
It'll take anyone's lifetime to do even cosmetic restorations for them all.

You do have to remember he already owned like 6 or 7 of these engines, and has operated them. 1551, 6325, 13, 33, and the 3 only need a little bit in order to operate. Engines like 12, 763, and others need more. The team episode expanding, as there were only 5 people in the FAQ section, and seems to be at around 12 or 13 employees now (all are probably full time.)
I didn't make my original comment to be any kind of condemnation at all, just marveling that he has a collection that big that even a large crew of people will spend their lifetimes working on them all and still not get all of them restored (either running or cosmetic).
It was a comment of the size of the collection and nothing else.
The original Steamtown collection was amazing, but Blount got a lot of those locomotives donated to him. AoS is even more amazing, in my mind, as Jacobsen is paying out of pocket for all of this.
Funnier still is that a this has operated under the radar of many train fans, because I've had several people look me in the eye and tell me I'm making the whole thing up as they'd never heard of AoS before. Most have come back (or emailed) me later apologizing, most saying, "I never thought anyone could pull something like that off..."

_________________
Lee Bishop


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:53 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm
Posts: 611
Thank you AoS and JJ for what you are doing. Regards to all, John.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Update
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 pm 

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:15 pm
Posts: 125
p51 wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:
p51 wrote:
I marvel at this collection. With each update email I get, it seems there's news of at least 2-3 new steam locomotives acquired by them.
It'll take anyone's lifetime to do even cosmetic restorations for them all.

You do have to remember he already owned like 6 or 7 of these engines, and has operated them. 1551, 6325, 13, 33, and the 3 only need a little bit in order to operate. Engines like 12, 763, and others need more. The team episode expanding, as there were only 5 people in the FAQ section, and seems to be at around 12 or 13 employees now (all are probably full time.)
I didn't make my original comment to be any kind of condemnation at all, just marveling that he has a collection that big that even a large crew of people will spend their lifetimes working on them all and still not get all of them restored (either running or cosmetic).
It was a comment of the size of the collection and nothing else.
The original Steamtown collection was amazing, but Blount got a lot of those locomotives donated to him. AoS is even more amazing, in my mind, as Jacobsen is paying out of pocket for all of this.
Funnier still is that a this has operated under the radar of many train fans, because I've had several people look me in the eye and tell me I'm making the whole thing up as they'd never heard of AoS before. Most have come back (or emailed) me later apologizing, most saying, "I never thought anyone could pull something like that off..."


Sorry about that, didn't understand. Anyways, just to mention a few things about restoration of these engines anyway, some engines require very little work to restore to operation, aka KM 9, and already acquired engines. But I do think that even though his collection is great, I still believe that he should focus more on the engines he already has, rather than buying more. Needless to say I am happy he did find these engines a good home. Hopefully Phase 2 of his roundhouse is completed successfully, and that he does get more employees to help him.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:10 pm 

Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 1:12 am
Posts: 51
It was almost as a impossible bit of news to hear of JJ building a real full size railyard with a roundhouse and backshop as it was to hear of a 4000 being restored to operation. At first I was skeptical it would happen.Then it was a high point in my time keeping up with rail preservation. I was always curious of the plan for the diesels in this plan. Does JJ rent/loan them out to other railroads to help make the facility a profitable, enduring facility? The steamers when operational will be obviously loaned/leased/borrowed out for various activities, etc. The diesels and passenger cars is where a majority of income will be coming from IMHO. That also got me to think about the fleet of passenger cars. With all these steamers planned for current/future restoration will the passenger car fleet be sufficient to cover multiple excursions at once?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 am 

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Amherst, Oh
If anybody would like to visit the Age of Steam roundhouse but hasn't had the chance yet the Lorain & West Virginia Railway will be having a tour on July 23, 2016. Tickets can be purchased from our website at http://lsra.org.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:56 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Back in NE Ohio
Love the B&O CPL's Tim!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:40 pm
Posts: 125
Location: San Francisco, CA
The Age of Steam Roundhouse is quite a story.

I can add that the largest steam locomotive collections in the US are: the 29 at the Museum of Transport at St Louis, and the 28 at the Illinois Railway Museum at Union, Illinois

Ted66


Last edited by ted66 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Updates
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2076
it sounds like to me AOS is ramping up to do some excursions, its just taking the steps to prep up for now. It sounds like...just wait...then kaboom!


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], pwvjer, Yahoo [Bot] and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: