It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:53 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:34 pm
Posts: 138
Hello, as the RYPN community may be commonly aware I currently am engaged in a potential project to preserve and restore AC&Y 505, the last built FM H20-44. Earlier this year I was asked by some members to pursue forming a non-profit 501c3 organization that would be able to not only maintain the engine but preserve Fairbanks Morse history as well. As of today that process is still ongoing with some new hope just around the corner. In the meanwhile I'm questioned to wonder if there is a existing group with similar goals or if I'd have to start from the ground up. If that is the case I'd like to ask if there are any passionate FM fans who'd be willing to assist in such an endeavor perhaps interested in saving the last piece of Buckeye FM history.

Cameron Wolk: Project 505 Advocate
516-350-2166
camwolk@gmail.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:09 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:25 am
Posts: 47
We have the 409, sister to your (former) 410 at IRM. I'd love to get it running again someday.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:45 am
Posts: 434
Location: Illinois
CTA4453 wrote:
We have the 409, sister to your (former) 410 at IRM. I'd love to get it running again someday.

SWPC 409, ex UP1369, nee FM-2000, aka "the Cement Mixer", aka "The Flamethrower"
Oral history at IRM says it took quite a bit of cranking to get it fired up the first time, and when it did finally light off, the accumulated fuel oil in the exhaust manifolds lit off, and there were 2 towers of flame out of the stacks (stories vary between 10 and 20 feet of flame).
The engine itself is in good shape, but at least one of the oil coolers is in need of repair.
When it does run, beware of golf-ball sized chunks of carbon raining from the sky (big enough to HURT when they hit!)

Jeff

_________________
What if we took a GG1 and changed...?
Image
Image
I'd rather be a NNN, than a Yammering Yutz of Yesteryear


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:18 am 

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:55 pm
Posts: 241
Location: San Diego area
SWPC 408 is at the Pacific Southwest RR Museum, in Campo, CA. It last pulled a train in 1987, but has been started occasionally since. Flamethrower stories like reported above also were repeated at Campo.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:28 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:34 pm
Posts: 138
Jim Baker wrote:
SWPC 408 is at the Pacific Southwest RR Museum, in Campo, CA. It last pulled a train in 1987, but has been started occasionally since. Flamethrower stories like reported above also were repeated at Campo.


I have heard stories about these flame incidents myself but have never had the experience of seeing one in person. On average how would you describe the routine maintenance of an FM reportedly I'd been warned pursuing the project solely for this reason. Reports from former MLW staff who I've been able to speak with complained of their complexity and unfamiliarity to anything they'd worked on previously. Honestly never touching an engine in my life would it be something easy to get used to or more of a struggle in your opinion? Otherwise I look forward to new progress in 2016 and hopefully we'll get some goals off the ground,

Cameron


Attachments:
505 exterior1 .jpg
505 exterior1 .jpg [ 60.03 KiB | Viewed 3122 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:55 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Pittsburgh
I don't know anything about Fairbanks Morse locomotives, but I do know there already is another "Project 505" at work on a totally different restoration - Scranton Transit Company "Electromobile" 505.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38851&p=242340&hilit=+505+Scranton#p242340

While the chances of confusion are slim, you still might want to pick a different name for your undertaking. Good luck!

/s/ Larry
Lawrence G. Lovejoy, P.E.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:02 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:09 pm
Posts: 277
Oppies will run forever until they break. When they break, prepare to spend a fortune.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:59 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:25 am
Posts: 47
Isn't AC&Y 505 the loco listed for sale on Sterling?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:36 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:34 pm
Posts: 138
CTA4453 wrote:
Isn't AC&Y 505 the loco listed for sale on Sterling?


Why CTA you are very correct, it is. I have a potential timespan of 3-4 years to raise the funds neccesary to both purchase and move the 505 off Galveston property. A public link is set to be released hopefully by early-mid 2016 given I can successfully work the agreement with the other party involved,

Cameron


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:31 pm 

Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 2:22 pm
Posts: 1189
Would this be considered to be a "flamethrower"? I believe these are FM opposed piston engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:52 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Posts: 233
Cameron, I wish you the best of luck.

But if this is your first "big engine" restoration attempt you are picking about the most difficult and risky internal combustion beast there is (except maybe a turbine).

I have heard stories of these things running on their own lubricating oil (which accumulates everywhere inside them). Shutting off the fuel supply does not shut off the engine. It can run until all the lube oil is gone and then goodbye bearings...

Those stories came from experienced RR Motive power folks when these where in service. Apparently CO2 fire extinguishers fired into the air intakes barely slowed them down.

Some of the bigger railroads re-engined units with this prime mover as soon as they could.

I Museum I know acquired a well maintained one from a US Army depot, all the "Old Hand" could say was "Well.... good luck with it", not a ringing endorsement.

If I could, I would strongly recommend that you have some plans to be able to shut off the air inlet completely before you attempt to start one that has not run in a while.

When they sit around all the seals that are supposed to keep the lube oil in just the right places dry out and the oil gets everywhere it's not supposed to be.

Some stout (3/4") plywood panels cut to just the correct size could work. Maybe some all thread rod in place and holes in the plywood all lined up so you can quickly slam them shut and cut off the air supply.

Hopefully you will never need these and you will waste $100 on plywood, that would be a very good outcome. And the plywood will come in handy for something else.

You sure don't want one of these running on it's own lube oil while you run to the store to get supplies.....

Good luck, you are a braver man than I.

Cheers, Kevin.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:40 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 944
Location: Leicester, MA.
NYCRRson wrote:
Cameron, I wish you the best of luck.

But if this is your first "big engine" restoration attempt you are picking about the most difficult and risky internal combustion beast there is (except maybe a turbine).

I have heard stories of these things running on their own lubricating oil (which accumulates everywhere inside them). Shutting off the fuel supply does not shut off the engine. It can run until all the lube oil is gone and then goodbye bearings...

Those stories came from experienced RR Motive power folks when these where in service. Apparently CO2 fire extinguishers fired into the air intakes barely slowed them down.

Some of the bigger railroads re-engined units with this prime mover as soon as they could.

I Museum I know acquired a well maintained one from a US Army depot, all the "Old Hand" could say was "Well.... good luck with it", not a ringing endorsement.

If I could, I would strongly recommend that you have some plans to be able to shut off the air inlet completely before you attempt to start one that has not run in a while.

When they sit around all the seals that are supposed to keep the lube oil in just the right places dry out and the oil gets everywhere it's not supposed to be.

Some stout (3/4") plywood panels cut to just the correct size could work. Maybe some all thread rod in place and holes in the plywood all lined up so you can quickly slam them shut and cut off the air supply.

Hopefully you will never need these and you will waste $100 on plywood, that would be a very good outcome. And the plywood will come in handy for something else.

You sure don't want one of these running on it's own lube oil while you run to the store to get supplies.....

Good luck, you are a braver man than I.

Cheers, Kevin.

Alright, let's back this up just a second. I've never heard of any diesel running off it's lube oil... Where'd this come from?

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:04 am 

Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 2:22 pm
Posts: 1189
Here is an explanation of diesels burning their own crankcase oil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:44 am 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:04 am
Posts: 11
Location: nevada
Hello

I did some work on and operated US Army 1855 h 12-44 in boulder city NV.

Couple of thoughts come to mind

1. Fairbanks Morse still offered technical support a couple of years ago for these prime movers, I would suggest contacting them

http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/

2. The electrical issues you need to find a trained locomotive electrician there are a couple that do relance work that a very very goood

3. Other locomotive your just going to have to find and hunt down

Chris Cheely


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fairbanks Morse Preservation Society
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:46 am 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:04 am
Posts: 11
Location: nevada
Hello

It should be noted that I smoked the taco bell out in boulder city nevada firing up 1855 and had a hell of a flame thoughers going.

Chris


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: