It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Janney Coupler parts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:55 pm 

We are seeking a knuckle and complete lock assembly for a Janney Type coupler. It is marked in the casting "Janney X" and initial's for "McConway & Turley Co" #5269.
The vertical jaw opening for the knuckle to fit into measures 6 1/4".

This is for the recently acquired 0-4-0 compressed air locomotive we have.
Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you
Tim Sposato

Attachments:
Janney Coupler 001.jpg
Janney Coupler 001.jpg [ 107.99 KiB | Viewed 7967 times ]
Janney Coupler 002.jpg
Janney Coupler 002.jpg [ 70.05 KiB | Viewed 7967 times ]

Post subject: Re: Janney Coupler parts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:20 am 

Hi

Have you tried Irwin car in Irwin Pa? They offer Sharon and other makes of coupler parts, I have no idea if they would even come close to what you are seeking.

Karl J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 am 

McConway & Torley still exists; but, its website only mentions contemporary products.

Irwin Car and Equipment has a website at: http://www.irwincar.com/
Look under either Atlas Car Parts or Historic Railcar Parts & Service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:30 am 

I have a pattern for a janney knuckle for a casting that I made years ago for a museum out west. I wonder if its the same style, if so we could cast you a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:10 pm 

TJ,

I know you are asking for Janey parts, but another option I think exists. That coupler socket looks to be the same one used by GE on the 25, 44 & 45 ton switchers and possibly other industrial switchers. That would open up other options for replacements if you can't find the exact parts you need, or be able to utilize a temporary replacement until parts can be found.

Rich C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:50 pm 

Tim,

You stated "This is for the recently acquired 0-4-0 compressed air locomotive we have." Who is "we" and what compressed air loco are you talking about?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm 

Pretty sure this is for the recently acquired triple tank compressed steam loco from New Orleans at the Age of Steam roundhouse. It was featured in their recent update.

Mike Stillwell
Buena Vista, VA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:28 am 

Thank you Mike, you are correct this is the AoSR engine we recently acquired. Thanks to all for the leads you have given towards finding the parts needed. I appreciate the helpful input.
Tim S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:32 am 

You might try contacting the "big three" narrow gauge operators; Durango & Silverton, Cumbres & Toltec, and White Pass & Yukon. The pre-AAR Type E couplers have been obsolete so long that they are virtually nonexistent on the general system railroads, but they live on in narrow gauge service. Not sure that any of the three properties listed above used Janney couplers, but it's worth a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:57 pm 

Help me with this if my eyes and phone don't work too well together, but I see McC & T 09 on the knuckle side of the body, that's:
McConway & Torley Co. 1909

That 1909 is the reason this looks rather heavy duty and still it has an MCB contour. The contour is probably the MCB5. Whatever the MCB contour was newest in 1909 it probably has. I know of the MCB5 and in 1910 the MCB10 came out, that is also known as the AAR -10, which was "the" only standard (for new couplers) from 1913 - 1940 or 50, when the current 10A contour came out, we still use it today. The MCB5 was a popular contour that many units were cast, any they were getting heavier shanks and wall thickness's by then, so you have one of the last MCB contour couplers made, ever, in your coupler.

You could try calling McC&T on the phone and ask them for the engineering dept. They were one of the first AAR coupler producers to move production to China, back in the mid 90's. When you get to engineering ask the person "who would know if you had any of the 1900 era Janney coupler drawings in your archive".

Generally old coupler drawings were destroyed by the ASF chaired AAR "Coupler Committee", but National Steel Casting Co. managed to hang onto their Sharon drawings, that's how the Sharon couplers are still being cast by Matrix, so there is a chance that McC&T has your drawing.

Work the phone, that's the only way.

Also, like Bryan just said, the narrow gauge RR's that use full size couplers, are the most likely place to find this. The D&S use a 1900 era JANNEY on their passenger cars, they have drawings for the knuckles. Good luck getting anything from D&S, as they are just like another tourist RR that does shop work, and makes parts, that we all know of, in which drawings go in, but they never leave. If your knuckle is the same as the D&S varnish couplers, then D&S has a pattern, so you could buy one, if they will sell it to you.

My advise: Get that knuckle drawing, or trade the coupler for a more common shank and save yourself a fortune. Maybe the D&S would want it and would trade you a more common type E -10 coupler for it. Who knows.

Good luck to you, and please report back and let us know how this works out.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.