It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rail Tours /Jim Thorpe CP 4-6-0's and the other 7 surviv
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:11 pm 

O. Winston Link's engine,453, definitely spent time in the Morris County Central engine house. I'm not 100% sure whether it was moved in the "Great Ordeal" move of 1973, but it was definitely there by the late '70's. I don't believe that any work was done to it at that time, but Link was on the property at least until the death of Fred Jacyssin, the MCC's General Manager, in August of '81.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:54 pm 

Just out of curiosity do 972 and 1098 still have the Vaughan-Horsey superheaters? CPR started changing some of the D-10's to Type A superheaters late in their working lives. I've heard that 1057 in Ontario was de-superheated which if true is rather a shame.

Pat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:38 am 

No question about it, everybody would love to see 972 returned to service (as built,please), but first, finish LIRR 39 and the Reading Camelback. PLEASE

Post subject: Rail Tours Birdsboro CP 4-6-0 972
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:30 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
I rode a Philadelphia Chapter NRHS excursion in 1983 titled "Farewell to the GG1". It was a circle trip from Philadelphia to Perryville, up the Port Road to Harrisburg, then across to Reading, then back to Philadelphia. Somewhere south of Reading (I think it was near Birdsboro) we were told that we would be passing by a special excursion powered by Jim Hart's steam engine. I grabbed this shot through our Amcoach window of 972.
While the "Farewell to the GG1" NRHS excursion in 1981 was a circle trip from Philadelphia to Perryville, up the Port Road to Harrisburg, I think that it returned via the electrified ex-Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line. A modern Amtrak locomotive was coupled behind GG-1 4935 to provide Head End Power to the Amfleet cars.
The 1983 trip was a circle via the Main Line and Atglen & Susquehanna branch, returning as you remembered, including the meet at Birdsboro with 972 on its way back with a Shoppers' Excursion that had gone from Reading to the Upper Level of 30th St. Station, Philadelphia.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm 

Just as an update to the status of CP 1098, it has been cosmetically restored by RBMN to a color scheme similar to that worn by 425 and renumbered 225. Pictures are popping up of it in Reading along Route 61 at the future site of "The Outer Station."