It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a Baldwin steam throttle lever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 am 

As you probably know, the Florida RR Museum recently acquired Cummer Sons Cypress Company 2-6-2 104 from Leesburg, FL. All the goodies are there, such as the headlight, bell, whistle, plates, etc. However, sometime during it's years on display some genius stole it's throttle lever. (I can't imagine why anyone would want that.)

Does anyone have any pointers on either finding a replacement or the drawings so a replacement could be fabricated? This a standard 60 ton Baldwin locomotive, basically straight out of catalog, so the part should be more or less a standard design. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Herron

Post subject: Re: Need a Baldwin steam throttle lever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:19 am 

I have several drawings of Baldwin throttles. If this will help I will get out the good camera and photograph each. Send me a PM with your email address and I will email the photos direct to you.

Attachments:
20160122_080826.jpg
20160122_080826.jpg [ 308.12 KiB | Viewed 4587 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:52 pm 

Rick, what is the card number of that drawing? I have a simple throttle lever, that is very similar to that older Baldwin drawing Rick just posted. Mine is from Baldwin 1942 and its from a 46" boiler OD. I can dig it out of the stack if needed, but I'd rather not, until I can scan the whole lot.

The owner of the locomotive should get with Penn. State Archives and pay for a search to compile a list of drawing numbers for that loco. If we had the original card number and build the exact correct replacement. With that card number we would know we had the correct drawing.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:19 pm 

There are about 50 card numbers that go with that drawing, which is cut off the bottom of my photo.

I have three sets of Baldwin drawings for two 0-6-0s and a 2-6-0 from the teens. I might just have the card no. for Jim's particular loco.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:27 pm 

It might be worthwhile to get in touch with Puffing Billy in Australia - their impressive class Na locomotives are home made clones of Baldwin originals, so they may have every pattern fixture and jig on hand to make one for you.