It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Redoing the Golden Spike engines
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 pm 

Jeff Terry wrote:
I know that Wasatch did the overhaul and replaced the jacket, but I didn't read anything about a complete repainting. It was big news when they did it in '94. They had to bring in artists and experts in gold leaf.

Any links to photos? I'd like to see what changes were made.

Wasatch made the jacket and did the painting, too. But not the murals.

Both engines operated in their new paint the entire operating season of 2015.

I don't have links. I just know what I saw while it was happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:42 pm 

Dear Utah Josh.

I never used the word threatened. As an assault victim I do not use that word lightly. However whoever Lincoln Penn is hides behind a screen name but wants others to declare who they are. That is at best hypocritical. When Mr. Lisowski also jumped in I found this troubling. Personally I put less weight on people who choose to hide behind screen names particularly when they tear apart the efforts of others but it is the position of this board to allow such activity which I also support. That is why I raised my voice.

Moving on, Mr Lisowski what is historic about two 1980's replicas? Yes they are older than some diesels but the Jupiter in particular has been an elusive study. How many steam locomotives are younger than they are? One dozen maybe two in this country. The Tornado in Britain is younger. This is what gets me about what is historic? El Paso & Southwestern (EP&SW) #1 is both a civil war survivor and Word War scrap survivor. Yet it sits unknown by many. For those who do not know It has a role in both the history of BNSF and UP. Its final owner was getting pretty good at kicking the SP in the teeth when it was retired (even the New York times of the era noticed the SP damage on the AZ Copper business. The issues between the James Douglas of the phelps dodge, owners of the EP&SW even had it effects on the Rio Grande and the construction of the Farmington branch. While Harriman sent Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio reps to see Mr. Douglas to at least save part of the business over his lines the damage had been done and the EP&SW was not a Harriman line nor used Harriman standard equipment. Yet today to many do not understand the history of both the EP&SW or the El Paso & Northeastern and why they are important to history.

Of all of the impacts of railroads thru technological advancement the differences in construction by the modern methods on the promontory replicas and the historically authentic EP&SW #1 demonstrate the changes in technology over time and how we construct things and what we have lost to time. You did not see welded staybolts on EP&SW#1 but you do get the impression from the promontory replicas that could be a historic practice. By not watching how things are done or term used you can inadvertently convey a lot of misinformation.

for those those you who do not know about EP&SW#1 here is a youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky4uIEhhtHU

And a web site about the restoration.

http://webcontent.utep.edu/tour/locomot ... how00.html

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:48 pm 

Last edited by Utah Josh on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:01 pm 

Dear Josh

You were not rude. The assault was over twenty years ago and yet at times when I least expect it it raises a response. This is particularly true after I been in El Paso or something triggers the memory. I read in the Golden Spike Chapter news letter that they are glad to have you back on the 223. The Southwest chapter and the Golden Spike chapter of the R&LHS are about the same age. It is interesting to compare how the two are doing at a distance.

Robby