It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patching Stainless Steel ends on Budd cars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 pm 

When it comes to stainless steel, there seem to be all sorts of grades from "standard" to food grade and others, all beyond my realm of knowledge.

If patches need to be made on flat stainless, say, on the end of a Budd car built in 1949, what is appropriate to be used? what about the safety tread stainless used in the vestibules?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Patching Stainless Steel ends on Budd cars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:05 pm 

With regard to the types of stainless steel used in Budd passenger cars, it should be noted that their success depended in great part on the compatibility of the different metals when welded together. Therefore, it is important to know which weld joints are being fastened together, as the type of material and at times weld techniques were carefully logged for each assembly.
Eventually all Budd drawings at IRM will be logged in, as shelving is completed and the drawings are placed on shelf, currently at about 75% completion for the larger drawings. An email or letter to us about the specifics of the car in question will allow us to determine whether the appropriate information is available, as always at reasonable cost for copies under Bombardier car owners license.
Sincerely, Ted Anderson volunteer curator
Pullman Library
Illinois Railway Museum

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:25 pm 

Off the top of my head, I would say that the end sheets are some flavor of 304 (the ordinary 18/8 work-hardening stuff). If I remember correctly the material that is used for welding this is 308.

I sincerely doubt that patching any Budd 'stainless' with 304/308 is going to introduce 'galvanic corrosion' of any meaningful kind in the repair.

Presumably you could use either MIG/TIG with shielding, or some kind of submerged-arc process, to get around the edges of a 'patch' and then grind the panel to its final finish. The chief problem I see is that these grades of stainless show pronounced heat-staining tendency, and probably color and other visual changes in the HAZ and general weld metal around the repair unless you use great care. It might be cheaper to 'buck up' a larger piece of the end as a replacement panel in new sheet, and do the welding in more inconspicuous sections, if you are trying to produce a full polished end with 'show chrome' like finish...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:16 pm 

http://www.sandmeyersteel.com/ These folks are adjacent to the old Budd Red Lion plant.
I do know that a commuter railroad in Philadelphia purchased "patch" material from this firm over time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:56 pm 

I think I read somewhere that the Budds were 303 stainless, and that the exact alloy used on the bulk of production is long obsolete. I'm interested to know what you find out!

CD