It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Adirondack Park Agency oks scrapping RR line to Lake Pla
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:18 am 

The washout was first reported in a May 16, 2019 post by the Adirondack Explorer, a non-profit newsmagazine:
Quote:
A few weeks ago, a a couple of men came into the Explorer’s office to show us photos of a section of railroad bed had been washed out just north of Hoel Pond, where a stream enters the water body.

Apparently, the small inlet had grown into a river during a spring rain storm, washing out the soil under the tracks.

Yesterday, I decided to head out to the area to see the damage for myself. I paddled to the northern part of Hoel Pond, where the tracks were visible after I went a short distance up a small stream.

The damage was more severe than I anticipated. It looks like the stream knocked out a section of the railroad bed that was 40 to 60 feet wide and roughly 20-25 feet high. The damage was reminiscent of that caused by Tropical Storm Irene. You can see photos of the impacted area in the photo gallery above.
Link: Adirondack Explorer - Railroad bed washed out near Hoel Pond
The article includes 20 photographs of the washout and surrounding area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22