It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1225 to undergo major running gear overhaul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:04 am 

OWOSSO, MI - The Steam Railroading Institute (SRI) has retained FMW Solutions to perform critical wheel and running gear work on Pere Marquette steam locomotive No. 1225. Underwritten by recent grants and generous donations, the work will see 1225 lifted, and its 30-tons of drivers, axles, and wheel assemblies removed and rebuilt by FMW. This will be the most extensive running gear work performed on the locomotive since before it was retired in 1951.

“This project is all about sustainability,” shared Steve Wasiura, Superintendent of Facilities & Railroad Operations for SRI. “1225 has been a reliable performer throughout its excursion career, and this work will keep it running for decades more. At FMW, we found partners who share our passion for preservation while understanding what it takes to keep steam-era railroading alive in 2022 and beyond. We are thrilled to be working with them!”

“1225 has emerged as an icon in our industry and one of the few large mainline steam engines with a regular operating schedule, which puts a unique kind of demand on a machine that’s 80 years old,” stated Shane Meador, Vice President of Mechanical for FMW Solutions. “We’re looking forward to assisting SRI in getting thousands of miles more out of this machine.”

1225 joins the lineup of over a half dozen steam locomotives in the United States for which FMW has performed work or is currently under contract, including the restoration of United States Sugar Corporation No. 148; Former Atlantic Coast Line No. 1504 for the United States Sugar Corporation, Pennsylvania Railroad No. 1361 at the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum; Nashville, Chattanooga, & St. Louis No. 576; Western Maryland Scenic Railroad No. 1309, among others. FMW is also responsible for the marketing, operations, and passenger car restoration for Sugar Express.

The Steam Railroading Institute is a non-profit, volunteer-driven educational organization dedicated to preserving steam era equipment and the skills needed to maintain and operate it. In addition to Pere Marquette 1225, SRI also operates a growing fleet of historic passenger equipment and is restoring another steam locomotive, Chicago & Northwestern 175, to operation. Visit https://www.michigansteamtrain.com for more information on how you can help keep steam railroading alive for future generations.

FMW Solutions and its subsidiary National Rail Consulting Group offer a suite of professional services for the railroad industry, including mechanical and engineering design, diesel locomotive servicing and repair, rail operations, strategic planning support, marketing, public relations, safety compliance administration, training, and alternative fuel technology research and development.

FMW is also an accomplished rail preservation resource, with expertise in the restoration and operation of historic equipment. For more on FMW Solutions, to request a quote, proposal, or to explore opportunities for your railroad operation, visit http://www.fmwsolutions.com or call (423) 425-9753.

LINK: https://www.fmwsolutions.com/newsroom/2 ... -institute

Donations for the Steam Railroading Institute's other efforts can be made here: https://michigansteamtrain.charityproud ... /?cid=3806

Kelly Lynch
Director of Special Projects
FMW Solutions

Post subject: Re: 1225 to undergo major running gear overhaul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:44 pm 

Hope your arm doesn't get tired from patting your own back so much :p

While I always enjoy updates, I personally roll my eyes when these press releases get posted here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:20 pm 

This is great. I've heard it be referred to as "oval wheels" for quite some time now. Looks like this will finally get rid of that nickname.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:41 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Hope your arm doesn't get tired from patting your own back so much :p

While I always enjoy updates, I personally roll my eyes when these press releases get posted here.

Interesting point. I too sometimes have difficulty discerning the difference between preservation news and blatant self promotion. In evaluating this particular post, I have to consider that the technical aspects and the schedule of the work to be done on 1225 were already posted in the "Pere Marquette 1225: Monroe, Michigan: September, 2022" thread on February 2, 2022.
Aarne H. Frobom wrote:
This advertisement was released prematurely by an employee of the Port. The intent is for PM 1225 to be on display on the port grounds for two days. But SRI staff and volunteers are presently building a track (at 20 degrees F) from which the engine will be lifted off its wheels for a complete running-gear overhaul. Dismantling and measurement of the running gear has begun. This job will cover driver profile, boxes, shoes and wedges, spring rigging, and much else for the first time since 1948. The schedule calls for this to be done before September. As everyone reading this knows, surprises are encountered when doing this kind of work, and the Port of Monroe event may be adjusted accordingly. Watch for four 70" driver sets coming north on I-69 this summer, reduced to about 68-1/2"

Aarne H. Frobom
President
Steam Railroading Institute
Owosso, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:56 pm 

I definitely quoted the Ovaltine reference during a call this morning with SRI's marketing team this morning.

Do you draw a distinguishing line between museums or tourist railroads posting press releases and rail contracting firms posting theirs? Is a museum or org announcing a restoration/return to service/fundraising effort considered not self-promotion? It's overall interesting commentary given that this site is called Railway Preservation News.

I may be splitting hairs, but in the example cited from Aarne's reply, the topic was the 1225's potential visit to Monroe, which means that if readers didn't view that thread, they likely wouldn't have seen his description of the work. Here, that specific work is the topic of the thread, with a link to donate to SRI's other causes and needs.

Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:29 pm 

No problem other than what's appropriate for the general public isn't adequately technical and detailed for this audience. Nice to know it's happening - now, tell us about how you are doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm 

I for one applaud FMW's emergence as a major force in the field of heritage rail restoration as Lord knows we are not over populated with reputable, capable, professional outfits that can take on these tasks and execute them successfully.

Also, the 1225 group deserves kudos for the ongoing work they do to keep the steam flame burning brightly in their neck of the woods with very little fanfare.

Here's wishing this endeavor every success and that FMW has reason for more postings soon.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:03 pm 

fmwsolutions wrote:
I definitely quoted the Ovaltine reference during a call this morning with SRI's marketing team this morning.

Jean Shepherd's ruminations regarding the childhood escapades of his quasi-fictionalized alter ego, Ralph Parker, are classic.
fmwsolutions wrote:
Do you draw a distinguishing line between museums or tourist railroads posting press releases and rail contracting firms posting theirs? Is a museum or org announcing a restoration/return to service/fundraising effort considered not self-promotion? It's overall interesting commentary given that this site is called Railway Preservation News.

No need for bold, I can read and I did point out in my post that you reference that " I too sometimes have difficulty discerning the difference between preservation news and blatant self promotion". Your answer lies in the fact that I have never commented similarly to any posts of the type you describe above.
fmwsolutions wrote:
I may be splitting hairs, but in the example cited from Aarne's reply, the topic was the 1225's potential visit to Monroe, which means that if readers didn't view that thread, they likely wouldn't have seen his description of the work. Here, that specific work is the topic of the thread, with a link to donate to SRI's other causes and needs.

Kelly

I was not really inclined to go beyond my good-natured follow up to Crescent-Zephyr's observations, but my take is that I would not have posted if paragraphs four and six did not appear in your original post. The alternative is to put all of the boilerplate FMW promotional information set off at the end of the post as is done in many press releases and keep the body of the post specific to 1225 and the technical aspects and scheduling considerations of SRI's plans to keep it operable in a sustainable manner.

Now stop wasting time on what I think and get that beauty back in steam.

Enjoy your evening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:57 pm 

So I suppose the preferred way to hear what is being done to a locomotive is a vague posting from someone who had made less than 10 posts that says "They heard from a friend of a friend or knows someone that they heard PM 1225 is about to get worked on?"

IMHO, this is right from the horse's mouth. Doesn't get much better. But what would be better would be occasional updates as the work is being done. Keep the great communications going, Kelly!

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm 

Well it is, by definition, railway preservation NEWS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:25 pm 

Nobody complains when Strasburg posts about their projects, or when we post about our progress at Mc Hugh. Why should these guys be any different ?? It's another steam locomotive getting fixed up, my idea of a good thing.

VIVA PM 1225 !!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:26 pm 

I think FMW has more than earned the right to post their press releases. They perform fantastic work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:21 am 

Please add me to the list of folks who approve of this press release being posted here. Hopefully OP will continue to share updates of the various heritage projects they are working on.

One of the other rail fan websites recently ran off a daily contributer of pictures and back stories of interesting and obscure railroad operations.

It can happen here.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:20 am 

Yes, add one more to the list of people who want to be updated.
I had Michigan friends advocating to restore this locomotive back in the 1970s. They got the job done!
Great to hear about the mechanical services available.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:30 am 

A press release by nature is part news and part promotion released publicly or to news outlets meant for general public consumption. The promotion part is considered standard boilerplate. I see nothing wrong with it so Kelly, post onward.

[Edit] Nice to hear that the running gear is getting attention so #1225 can continue to wow the public.