It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maine Central 470 Shop nearing construction.
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm 

On of the biggest goals in restoring Maine Central 470 has been to get the Pacific under cover, so all weather restoration work can take place. Today we took possession of six 40ft. shipping containers, which will form the first level of the shop building. The used containers will not only form an 8ft. steel wall around the base, it will keep the arch-tarp steel frame structure raise from potential punctures. The arch-tarp cover was custom built by Tarp-Rite of Woodstock, N.B., Canada, and is designed to withstand heavy wind and snow loads. The exterior edges of the arches will rest on the outside walls of the containers. This arrangement a) sheds snow, b) gives us storage on top of each container body. One container will become our office and library, three will hold locomotive parts, while one will be a dedicated metal shop and the other a wood shop. Compartmenting the rooms will be a step towards controlling possible fires. The containers will sit on concrete-filled sonotubes, drilled to below the frost line.

Once again I wish to thank you who are members, you who have generously written checks to support our work, and especially the Samuel Freeman Foundation for funding the largest aspect of this part of the restoration. Recognition to those comapanies which pitched in to make our dollars stretch further than they might have otherwise: Tarp Rite Industries and Maine Trailer Sales.

We think this is a good way to get all weather coverage and get sufficient work space without necessarily spending a fortune, and recommend consideration of something of this nature to groups doing railroad equipment restoration.
If you do try this approach, allow me to offer this hint: Hy-Cube containers are both taller and less expensive.

The expected time frame for the building erection is mid-July.

Attachments:
File comment: Our June Fundraiser
TaT2017.jpg.JPG
TaT2017.jpg.JPG [ 73.31 KiB | Viewed 5550 times ]

Post subject: Re: Maine Central 470 Shop nearing construction.
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:50 pm 

I look forward to seeing the completed shop.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:35 am 

great idea

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:54 pm 

Your shed will be historic as well. From someone who's worked in the Rail Logistics group for "K" Line for almost 20 years, the Hanjin container is already a collectors item following their bankruptcy last year. In addition, with the pending merger of the 3 Japanese Steamship lines: "K" Line, NYK Line and MOL (so called '3J' until the new name is announced in the next month), the "K" Line containers you have that were off-hired last year will also become collectors items in the coming years as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:00 pm 

I was already to peel off the decals and spray paint the sides! Now, like baseball cards, I'll want to collect and trade the whole set. C'ept, my mother will probably throw them out while I'm away...