It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Made Easy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:23 am 

I would imagine the dust collection is somewhat off-the-shelf mundane. No need to reinvent the wheel. Large industrial dust collection tends to use 'sock' filters that could be washed.

Whatever toxic nastiness in the coating would likely remain. Just have to make sure your dust collecting is up to par I would think.

From reading the page, I suspect operational cost for electricity would be less then the high-powered air compressor media blast usually needs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:22 pm 

I spoke to the company today. The web info is incorrect and will be pulled - they do not have units to rent. They do manufacture units to the specific requirements of a user. The complete units are priced at $500,000.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:38 am 

Bobharbison wrote:
The advantage would be no blasting media to clean up.

Which is a big factor, since a major impediment to sandblasting is worrying about the potential damage to machinery caused by the cloud of media and the removed iron oxide and paint chips (the latter is a problem even with CO2 blasting.) It appears virtually all of this is getting vacuumed up.

Now look at his protective gear. I don't hear the deafening roar that makes even a beadblast cabinet harmful to hearing. I also don't see the beekeeper suit one should really wear when doing open-space blasting. He's not even wearing gloves. He probably doesn't shake sand out of his hair and clothes all night!