It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OT - Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 pm 

RDGRAILFAN --
Would you please be so kind as to post a link to the PCMAG "check sheet" you referred to? Thanks!

This is a fascinating discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 am 

Here is a link to an article with a vid that will walk you through the complete "customization" of Win10 and an explanation of each selection. I am looking for the PC Mag article on line. I will find it....

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3095284 ... ivacy.html

1) Win10 reports back to MS in a number of ways----I choose to turn off many of these selections. If your PC goes into dummy mode aka Freeze, it may in fact be talking to MS or went into a memory lock!
2) this is a controversial selection - Use Firefox browser.....it is shielded from many of the intrusive MS "features" and does provide a high degree of intrusion protection.

Things to check:
Memory - Many Win7 machines had VERY minimum memory....upgrade of memory is an easy task and cheap. Win7 and Win10 both do heavy task swaps.....Memory is cheap and will keep an older machine running and give you speed back with limited lockups.
Outlook - Many Win7 units had a version of Outlook that was licensed for Win7 only (don't ask) when you jump to Win10 goofy things start to happen, Poke around for a Win10 version upgrade of Outlook on the MS site. You have a license for 7 you should be able to find a 10 Free upgrade.
AD BLOCK - Win 10 has a hole in it that lets ads run in the background without even you seeing it....took a while to figure this out. If you buy anything on the web, sockets are installed to ""report" your buying habits. These seem to turn on and off. Mystifying that vendors are using software to "check" what you are doing but it is happening.
Get ad block Plus......it is free!
Firefox - YES ....MS hates Firefox but it works great with Win10. I do not like Chrome form the background chatter you cannot control.
Under privacy settings
Select - ACCEPT COOKIES ....ACCEPT COOKIES FROM SITES VISITED KEEP UNTIL i CLOSE This keeps visited sites happy, they have no control after you shut down.
UNDER GENERAL - SELECT EVERY BOX -Keeps odd ball "stuff" from getting on your PC while you are working.

I came from the good old Mainframe world.....with PC's and related software the need of the used to understand that once software if installed YOU must make "wise" decisions on the option selection.
I just helped my Neighbor shut down their new heater air conditioner unit from attempting to communicate to "someplace" because it had a wireless card reporting status in addition to a USB service port. Great feature ...they had no idea is was reporting "away" and "service" mode when out of house!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm 

The latest build (56.0) of Firefox is different than what RDGRAILFAN describes. To cut down on tracking and targeting, some of my settings for maximum security under Options/Privacy & Security are as follows:

Remember logins and passwords for website - unchecked. If they're not saved, they can't be snagged in a drive-by. It will make you login every time, though.

History: select "Never remember history". Saves on memory and ensures you get the current web page instead of a stored older or expired cached version. I can't tell you how many times I've said "Click your little refresh circle thingy in the right side of the address bar...."

Tracking protection - checked along with Send Websites a Do Not Track signal...

Block Pop-up Windows - checked.

Warn you when websites try to install add-ons - checked. Most add-ons are not needed though some, like Java and Flash are.

Firefox Data Collection and Use - all three unchecked.

Phishing Protection - all three checked.

Certificates: Ask you every time - checked; Query OSCP... checked.

Tell you when a website asks to store data for offline use - checked.

Thems be my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 pm 

RDGRAILFAN and Eric --
Thanks much for the info -- I really appreciate that. I have changed some of my computer's settings, so as to better protect my info.