It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What happens when a Museum Closes?
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-edi ... eum-closes

The last sections, posted below, discuss the change of corporate giving since 2009.

On the whole, museum closures are relatively rare events. In 2009, the last year the American Alliance of Museums collected data on closures, according to the New York Times, 30 museums shuttered—less than one percent of the approximately 35,000 cultural institutions that exist across the United States. “In some ways, it’s almost a miracle that more museums don’t go out of business,” Yaeger said. “It’s such a difficult, competitive universe in some places to just keep your doors open, but somehow we do.”

Townsend believes, however, that MOBIA—which, lacking a permanent collection, had a more streamlined closure process compared to other recently dissolved institutions—may be one shutdown of many in the coming years. “I think it’s something that’s endemic,” he said. “We certainly haven’t seen the last of it.”

Townsend calls the Great Recession a “watershed moment” that significantly altered giving patterns, perhaps for good. “I talk to colleagues about this,” he said. “We’re all sort of shell-shocked. There was a real change in attitude towards corporate philanthropy from 2008 on. All you have to do is look at the Met’s donor list, on the title walls of exhibitions, and you can judge for yourself—there are so few corporations listed. If the Met has fewer corporate donors, you can imagine what that means for museums below that top tier.”

Post subject: Re: What happens when a Museum Closes?
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 pm 

Another interesting article relating to this topic:

https://philanthropy.com/article/Obamas ... uce/162737

PC

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:25 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
<Editorial Rant>
Elections have consequences.

Get a load of this whopper. Remember, this was written in 2009:
Quote:
Several billion dollars could be lost in charitable gifts because of the tax proposal, say philanthropy scholars. The White House says that the plan won’t hurt charities, in part because it doesn’t take effect until 2011, when Obama officials expect the economic recovery to have begun.

Remember this the next time some criticizes "trickle-down economics."

</Editorial Rant>

On a more serious note, we're already seeing at least some of this play out. The national NRHS library functionally has ceased to exist, and the fate of the actual books, etc. is still uncertain. I'm just waiting for the first "major" rail museum to have to rationalize, merge, consolidate, or shut down. I'm sure we could all nominate a couple likely targets, though I don't think the East Broad Top counts as a "museum."

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:39 pm 

I think we're in more trouble with museums that should but don't merge, rationalize or recruit new blood. We're our own worst problem, not corporations.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:38 am 

Dave said it all........."We're our own worst problem...".

And it doesn't help that some very high visibility organizations in the preservation field cannot or will not respond to inquiries from contributors and members about where the artifacts have gone and how the money is being spent.

When you ask about an organization's collections policy, or what is being done with a particular artifact or collection, and you get replies that are devious, or are told it is none of your business, it should set off alarm bells immediately.

PC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:36 am 

And here's another - how many of us have actually planned how we're going to shut down, what happens to our collection and resources, and what the circumstances are under which we would start the process? A dissolution plan is as important as a collection policy.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:34 am 

Dave wrote:
I think we're in more trouble with museums that should but don't merge, rationalize or recruit new blood. We're our own worst problem, not corporations.

Exhibit A is the GGRM/PLA lover's quarrel underway at Niles Canyon. For some unknown reason, the two preservation groups couldn't co-exist or join forces, and now the GGRM plans to waste time, money and resources on a move to salt-air and NIMBY-infested Santa Cruz.

Go Figure.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 pm 

psa188 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Exhibit A is the GGRM/PLA lover's quarrel underway at Niles Canyon. For some unknown reason, the two preservation groups couldn't co-exist or join forces, and now the GGRM plans to waste time, money and resources on a move to salt-air and NIMBY-infested Santa Cruz.

Go Figure.

I in no way have any inside information, I am just an interested observer, but: 1) the two entities seem to have different missions, with Niles Canyon having a mission more clearly about preservation (although they obviously want the public to view what they have preserved) 2) GGRM mostly relies on paid workers while Niles Canyon is all-volunteer 3) if you look at the Niles Canyon website and look at a particular preserved diesel (not 9010) you will see that there apparently was a misunderstanding about work performed in exchange for used traction motors that were never forthcoming, I am not sure that GGRM was the other entity but it would seem logical.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:15 pm 

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam here:
http://www.altamontpress.com/discussion ... msg-133471

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:40 am 

When the Western Forest Industries Museum (Mount Rainier Scenic RR) decided to close their Camp 6 Logging Display in Tacoma they took the easy way and sold everything where is, as is. This included eight steam donkeys, thirteen rail cars, an Ohio crane and a Shay. Luckily the buyer made a huge effort to find good homes for the equipment that he did not want for his collection.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 am 

We always talk about the worst-case scenario regarding a museum or tourist railroad closing down. Here it is:

Whatever can't be sold and moved off the property will be cut up for scrap.

I don't mean to be flip, but I believe that is the absolute worst-case scenario for any group that can't make arrangements to reorganize or relocate. As railfans and preservationists, we certainly don't like or desire that outcome, but sadly, that is often the outcome when things go really, really bad.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:46 pm 

PMC wrote:
if you look at the Niles Canyon website and look at a particular preserved diesel (not 9010) you will see that there apparently was a misunderstanding about work performed in exchange for used traction motors that were never forthcoming, I am not sure that GGRM was the other entity but it would seem logical.

Could you please elaborate, or post a link? I reviewed NCRY's diesel locomotive pages and coundn't figure out what the heck you're referring to.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm 

"Whatever can't be sold and moved off the property will be cut up for scrap."

Case in point: the fledgling museum in Pemberton Township, N.J.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:15 pm 

psa188 wrote:
PMC wrote:
if you look at the Niles Canyon website and look at a particular preserved diesel (not 9010) you will see that there apparently was a misunderstanding about work performed in exchange for used traction motors that were never forthcoming, I am not sure that GGRM was the other entity but it would seem logical.

Could you please elaborate, or post a link? I reviewed NCRY's diesel locomotive pages and coundn't figure out what the heck you're referring to.

I see this page doesn't link to the NCRR website anymore so I had to dig it up, again I don't have any inside information and am not positive who the other group was for sure, it was just a guess from someone who read just about every word on the old NCRR restorations page before they changed the website a few years ago :

http://trainweb.org/wp918d/918_castro_point1.html

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:51 pm 

What happens when a museum closes... Let's see. There are many ways to look at what happens when a museum closes. I have come up with four at the moment.

1. The rolling stock is sold to providers with deals across the country
2. Town or state governments take possession of the historical items, and find other ways to dispose of them, whether it be scrapping, or giving it to other museums
3. The rolling stock is left to rot unless someone cares enough to get them out from the former museum, leaving the Rolling stock to either saving, disrepair, or to eventual scrapping
4. The rolling stock is scrapped right on the spot by the museum

That's what the topic says. I'm just sticking to the name of what it says.