It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: More News from The Home of Dunder Mifflin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:22 pm 

Enjoy.

P.S. I told you there would never be a restoration of the relationship between "the Chapter" and the NPS.

Attachment:
Buh Bye.jpg
Buh Bye.jpg [ 75.39 KiB | Viewed 3805 times ]

Post subject: Re: More News from The Home of Dunder Mifflin
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:16 pm 

Does this mean that Jessica Weinman becomes "official" Superintendent, removing any "temporary" titles? Or do they still have to go through a hiring/promotion process for the position?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:02 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
Does this mean that Jessica Weinman becomes "official" Superintendent, removing any "temporary" titles? Or do they still have to go through a hiring/promotion process for the position?

My understanding is that Ms. Farrell (who is presently employed at SNHS, I think Ms. Weinman is presently at Delaware Water Gap) will be the acting Superintendent until- like all other government positions- the position is "posted" or opened to applications from candidates meeting the listing criteria.

After Kip Hagen's unexpected death a decade ago, there was a review of the facility so that the incoming Superintendent would have the benefit of a "lay of the land". Whether there'll be a similar review in this case, I do not know. Both Farrell and Weinman would likely have some credibility in applying as they were acting Supers on a "detail" (temporary assignment)

There's many big things facing the incoming superintendent, if you define the objectives of the position as revitalizing the park.

The first is the operational situation. The physical plant is deteriorating, and the the HVAC issue that resulted in building closure really highlighted that situation. There's a demoralized and diminished corps of staff and volunteers. COVID worsened the problem of experienced people leaving as there's been no opportunity to train and test. I note the frequent cancellation of the "shuttle" trips due to lack of crew. Finally, Steamtown is now in a position where its relationships with partners and supporters are now frankly shattered.

https://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Now there's one question. Is Steamtown the "Warthog" of the NPS, something they will diminish if they can't decommission it? Permanent bureaucracies often develop objectives that aren't necessarily in conformity with their charter or mission. Look at the USAF defying the "civilian leadership" on the A-10 attack aircraft-until they apparently got their wish in 2024:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-for ... ment-date/

I see the cessation of the agreement with the 3713 group as telling. To the extent operating steam is in the future, it's not going to be road steam, worse, the 26 is about half-way through its 15 years now. There's no replacement and the shop has lost most of its experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:45 pm 

Please keep going; I only need one more square on my Boomer Bingo card.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:18 pm 

She/her are only third-person singular pronouns.

Second-person remains 'you' for both singular and plural.

When I was a high-school finalist, laureate of the NCTE, I noted that the same shift that transitioned thee/thou in English first-person singular to 'you' ought to be applied to get the latent sexism out of third-person singular pronouns. No one is discomfited today that we don't use "Biblical" sounding language for familiar second person, and in future we shouldn't be discomfited that 'they' applies equally to singular and plural third-person as 'you' currently does to second.

That the current push for 'they' comes from the LGBTQ community does not lessen my original opinion. (And I'll take implementation from any source I can get!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:44 pm 

These days, it seems that somebody who signs their name followed by "she/her" is usually a "he/him", but might be a "neither/nor". From what "I/me" can tell, "they/them" tend to be easily offended, expect special treatment, and are frequently trolling for a lawsuit...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:57 pm 

I was led to believe second person plural was "youse" East of Harrisburg and "yinz" or more formally, "you'ns," West of Harriburg.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:54 pm 

Looky.

You’se yinz y’all has managed to derail they them dis thread quickly.

He him hymn me myself and I.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:14 pm 

As much fun as the gratuitous demographic insult and discourse into linguistic fineries that gives me nightmares of middle school English-and just what the hell is a gerund or participle anyway- the relevant questions here are simple:

What are the prospects of revitalizing Steamtown to something that can be called an "operating museum" where there regular steam (excursion) operations, a sufficient and sustainable mechanical and operating staff, programmatic variety and vitality, a prospect of increased visitorship and positive community/partner/supporter relations? What would be required and how long would this take.

You face the following constraints in no particular order:

A location that is less than ideal from multiple perspectives.

The emergence of new competition, especially from the Reading and Northern.

A parent organization that has almost no institutional knowledge of railroad museums or history, and no understanding of restoring, maintaining and operating locomotives and rolling stock in the contemporary regulatory environment and may harbor resentment at being saddled with a facility that exceeds the typical "core competencies".

Reliance on funding from a government that has no incentive to consider whether funding should be increased, decreased or even more fundamental questions such as whether the facility should be changed in mission (to static) or decommissioned.

An ever diminishing inventory of critical parts and external repair vendors for critical parts like brake, couplers and steam heat components; modern replacements may be possible but may unacceptably replace the original fabric or alter the historic operating characteristics of the equipment. (Aware that there are places making new components in the absence of existing old stock, BLW 26 has a Strasburg made injector)

A degrading physical plant, highlighted by the closure of several visitor use buildings due to an HVAC issue that remains resolved after almost one year.

The loss of experienced mechanical staff and volunteers (exacerbated by COVID).

Frequent cancellation of operations due to the lack of operating crews, creating a "positive feedback loop" of reduced visitation and crew training/availability.

The demolition of partner/supporter relations. (the 3713 debacle is just one of the issues)

Apart from a "bump" related to the return of steam in 2016-2019, a long term secular decline in visitation.

https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/ ... dar%20Year)?Park=STEA

(Turns out building closures don't help)

https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/ ... ?Park=STEA

Go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:27 pm 

EJ Berry wrote:
I was led to believe second person plural was "youse" East of Harrisburg and "yinz" or more formally, "you'ns," West of Harriburg.

Phil Mulligan

Acme is a three syllable word.

Brian Helfrich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:40 pm 

As much as certain folks on this site bash a certain retired stockbroker, it will take intervention at that stratospheric level to get through to high level politicians to redirect the machinations of the NPS.

I share the options that Steamtown is a very poor fit for the home of Smoky Bear. Perhaps a third party contractor is the easiest way forward.

Brian Helfrich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:28 pm 

choodude wrote:
As much as certain folks on this site bash a certain retired stockbroker, it will take intervention at that stratospheric level to get through to high level politicians to redirect the machinations of the NPS.

I share the options that Steamtown is a very poor fit for the home of Smoky Bear. Perhaps a third party contractor is the easiest way forward.

Brian Helfrich

Aside from some form of a minor miracle, which we've been contemplating about for years, regarding the privatization of Steamtown...why don't we instead do the following exercise:

What can we do WITHIN the current governmental constraints to make Steamtown a better place??

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:44 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
These days, it seems that somebody who signs their name followed by "she/her" is usually a "he/him", but might be a "neither/nor". From what "I/me" can tell, "they/them" tend to be easily offended, expect special treatment, and are frequently trolling for a lawsuit...

Many businesses and government agencies require pronouns as part of the email signature.

I actually like it because I have to email someone named Shannon everyday and since my company doesn't require pronouns and I've never talked to them on the phone, it's a mystery as to which gender I am talking to.

Given the influx of more and more less gender specific names in the last 20 years, its going to become a bigger issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:14 pm 

In answer to Big Jim, elect someone like Joe McDade to Congress.

Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Moosic) has 10 years seniority and is on the House Appropriations Committee. He is currently working on getting NY-Scranton passenger service restored. The entire right-of way, from Bridge 60 in Scranton to Hoboken NJ or Sunnyside NY, is in passenger-oriented public hands, meaning you don't have to beg a Class 1 for track space but with Washington involved you never know,

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:58 pm 

jcmarksbury wrote:
Many businesses and government agencies require pronouns as part of the email signature.

I thought that Mr, Mrs, Ms, & Dr covered this. The latest thing I've seen is She/Her/Ella, just tonight on the evening news. Do I really NEED to know somebody's gender unless I'm giving medical advice ?? The world gets crazier all the time... in my/mine opinion.

Sammy King

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next