It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Collecting Railway interviews and stories: can you help?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:24 pm 

Hi All,

My wife Annie and I have just begun traveling cross-country and I am planning on collecting interviews and stories from folks we meet along the way as part of an article I am planning on writing (and possibly a book) on volunteerism and railway preservation.

We are crossing back into the states at Sault Ste. Marie, across the UP to Duluth, then down to Minneapolis. From there we head west all the way to Seattle.

We are already planning on heading to the Lake Superior Railway Museum in Duluth, the Minnesota Transportation Museum, the Sumpter Valley Railroad, and the Northwest Railway Museum.

First, are there any other museums along the way that are must-sees?
Second, if you are interested in being interviewed drop me a message or email me at spwoodwinds@gmail.com and we can find a time to meet up.

Thanks,
Stephen Piwowarski

Post subject: Re: Collecting Railway interviews and stories: can you help?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:37 pm 

The "End of the Line Museum" in Currie Minnesota. The town is so small you won't have a problem finding the museum. It was started when two young girls began a project to save the towns old depot.
Mike Nix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:48 pm 

Stephen, I invite you to visit us in South Cle Elum, WA. We are near I-90, about 50 miles east of Northwest Railway Museum.

Here is some background on our past work:
http://www.rypn.org/articles/single.php?filename=060701010305.txt

Paul Krueger
Secretary
Cascade Rail Foundation
"Remembering the Milwaukee Road in Washington"
http://www.milwelectric.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:05 pm 

There is a member of MC and the Round House Museum in St Paul. He has a couple of books worth of stories to tell. Not related to mainline steam or even running mainline steam, he was to young. But was an early steam nut who knew what to try and save back when parts and tooling were still laying around. Depending on what kind of stories your looking for he has interesting tales to tell. He met and scrounged around with the best of them in the upper great lakes area. On a much smaller scale than David Conradt or Gary Bensman, and some of the others who did even more, but was successful in saving many tools and parts many are still in use today and by many of us are considered "treasures". PM me and will try and provide contact. You may find him in St Paul when you are there. Also has many great stories of the beginning years at Mid Continent. Sounds like a fun trip. Lots to see at Sault Ste. Marie and Duluth/Superior areas. Regards, John.