It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Identify this model
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:08 pm 

I thought I would put this here as there is a broad experience here, I've been trying to identify the prototype of this car, I have a very heavy lean to the Texas Electric systems, but the window arrangements throw me some curveballs as my TE book does not show this exact car, but there is a sure family look to the TE cars.

Last edited by dinwitty on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Identify this model
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:18 pm 

Sounds like an interesting mystery but the images aren't showing up on my computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:59 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
I thought I would put this here as there is a broad experience here, I've been trying to identify the prototype of this car, I have a very heavy lean to the Texas Electric systems, but the window arrangements throw me some curveballs as my TE book does not show this exact car, but there is a sure family look to the TE cars.

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197233&d=1467048611

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197241&d=1467048611

He's trying to link an image on a webpage using the page's address instead of the image's url. Its another forum and you have to be a member to view the pages.

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 pm 

I put the images on my server.

it still has me stumped.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:31 pm 

Nice!!!

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 pm 

Kind of looks like an Illinois Traction system car, but the baggage door on the left side eliminates that. Minority builder McGuire Cummings built some small lots of cars that looked something like this; I need to find a pix of the Fox & Illinois Union car.

On Edit:
Close but no cigar. I didn't know that line had two cars.
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0200/fiu102.jpg
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0200/fiu100.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 pm 

Perhaps a Clouser epoxy casting?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:09 pm 

Clouser was mostly O scale, but he may have done some HO, this model is HO.

good guess, I'll have to poke some T&M mags.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 pm 

this is almost dead ringer, you have to expect the windows top sashes have been blocked off for a remodel, thats been done to other cars, the pilot is about perfect, the baggage door might have been redone also.

I may have a book here on the Illinois Terminal and Illinois Traction but its a dig

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 am 

Yes, the ITS cars had elliptical windows before the wide letterboards were applied, as this interior view of trailer coach 518 shows:

http://www.irm.org/cgi-bin/image.pl?conf=img800&img=/gallery/albums/IT518/aab.sized.jpg

However, the roof arch on the model looks too low, and the arched heads of the doors are different.

I don't recall if the ITS combine had baggage doors on the left early on, but I don't think so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:35 am 

Just as a speculation: can somebody find some of those 'original' Clouser castings (or pictures from the MR articles describing them) and post pictures?

It occurs to me that someone in HO might have thought of scaling an HO version off the Clouser shell components, perhaps copying the details as if 'prototypical'. So we might check that first, rather than try to find a specific full-scale prototype...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:30 am 

Although I only met the gentleman once (and he was a gentleman) I am reasonably familiar with his work, and I can definitely state that W. J. Clouser did NO work in HO scale, he simply didn't have the interest, and did not do contract work. He was also a perfectionist, to the point where he did not trust the average modeler to assemble his castings, so his cast epoxy bodies were only available built-up.

Now, why the fixation on Clouser? Who even said the model was cast epoxy? From the photo it looks to be early brass, or possibly one of the Paul Moore cardstock kits, well finished.

Anyway, I thought the question was asking after the prototype being modeled, and now that I look at it, the roof contour doesn't match either the "Bosenberry" roof used by the ITS, or the roofs on the McGuire Cummings cars built for the F&IU. I would suggest, since the model portrays a car before it was modernized by blanking the Gothic sash, that one look at builders photos of the Texas Electric fleet, plus any other lines known for running early fleets of arch roof cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:17 pm 

you have to try all avenues and get a response like that which redirects the hunt.

Notice the pole hook in the middle of the car than the end.

The owner who picked it up says its a molded top, brass chassis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:43 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
Notice the pole hook in the middle of the car than the end.

Now that's rather interesting. The IT 277 has such a hook for the front pole, which would be used only for sleet scraping. See the third picture down in this post:

http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2008/ ... r-now.html

My guess is that this model was meant as an IT car, although the left side baggage door, the smaller windows near the end, the colors, and the arched tops to the baggage doors, are incorrect. All toy trains have problems like that -- what else is new?

Confucius remarked: "There is in the world now really no moral social order at all."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 am 

I respectfully disagree. The model appears quite old, predating the numerous Suydam brass offerings of the sixties. The power truck may be the same as used in the old Bowser die cast Lehigh Valley Transit cars. Back in this era there was a whole generation of modelers who still had personal memories of operating properties now long abandoned, that were revered much as the Insull lines are by the older fans today. There are features on the model, particularly the shape of the arched head of the baggage door and the pair of toilet windows at the rear left corner, that are too distinctive to be mere chance. The model is intended to specifically model some prototype, even if it is not one familiar today. The trick is finding a picture so we can determine what that prototype might be.