It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seven Railroads Chapter NRHS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:52 pm 

Is the Seven Railroads Chapter of NRHS an actual active group?

I see it on the list of Massachusetts Corporations but it is not shown in chapter listings on the NRHS website. I believe this was the group that had as part of its mission objectives the cataloging and preservation of the stored NRHS library.

PC

Post subject: Re: Seven Railroads Chapter NRHS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:43 am 

PCook wrote:
Is the Seven Railroads Chapter of NRHS an actual active group?

I see it on the list of Massachusetts Corporations but it is not shown in chapter listings on the NRHS website. I believe this was the group that had as part of its mission objectives the cataloging and preservation of the stored NRHS library.

PC

It's no longer an active chapter.

I don't know where you're getting your information, but this chapter was never directly involved with the library.

The NRHS library is still stored in Three Rivers Mass.

Bob H

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 am 

Thank you Bob, that answers the question. The group is shown in state corporate listings with an address in Palmer Massachusetts which is three miles from Three Rivers Massachusetts.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:56 am 

I've got some of my thoughts to add, considering I was there at the end. The group was bad-off from the start due to the original leadership, who jumped off when said individual realized he couldn't get what he wanted out of the group. Whenever we tried to do something, it seemed as if the impression that the original "leader" (and I say that hesitantly, considering what I do know) was nothing but a curse. We couldn't convince people to join because of the impression that said leader had made in the area, and we couldn't find a meaningful project to undertake. If I could, I go out and see if I could jump-start a new, clean sheet chapter (because then, in theory, we don't have the baggage to carry). But I'm just one person and from my perspective the former members of Seven Railroads were disenfranchised by the end. By that point they had their own concerns and commitments to worry about. It's sad, considering there's a gap in rail preservation in the central part of Mass, but you can't force people to stay when they think it's time to leave. That's just my two cents...

*And regarding the library, that was at one point a project we wanted to take on. One of the former members is still involved with the library project last I heard.