It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Proposed Visitor Center for Nevada RR Museum in Boulder City
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:22 pm 

The Las Vegas Review-Journal has an electronic article with yesterday's date telling that funds have been approved
to begin further planning for the Nevada State Railroad Museum at Boulder City for the next step toward
a visitor center.
Quote:
Lawmakers approved the transfer of $469,000 from the Department of Tourism to the museum to fund
the development of construction documents for a proposed 6,000-square-foot building.
See the article here: Nevada State Railroad Museum full steam ahead to expand visitors center

Here is a Google Earth view that I have marked up to show the current facilities and where I'm told
the visitor center will be located.

Attachment:
BoulderCityLocations.JPG
BoulderCityLocations.JPG [ 209.54 KiB | Viewed 6434 times ]

Post subject: Re: Proposed Visitor Center for Nevada RR Museum in Boulder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Since Brian spilled the beans, I will comment. The funds are for design through construction documents for a new visitor center. Plans also include a new open display pavilion and an enclosed display hall, as well as significant site improvements, transforming our 1/2 mile site into a public park with a bike/ped path connecting to existing paths coming from Henderson.

At the same time, as part of the Interstate 11 interchange project at Railroad Pass, we are getting a new bridge across the freeway to reconnect to the Boulder City branch at Henderson, extending our ride, and reconnecting our track to the general system.

The bridge project is fully funded. The park and bike path have funds identified. We will have significant fund raising ahead to allow us to build the buildings, but are already building wide community support.

The renderings only show the new visitor center, and the parking lots and park in the vicinity.

Attachments:
NSRM BC VC Site Plan.pdf [210.33 KiB]
Downloaded 502 times
NSRM BC VC Rendering 6 2016(1).pdf [154.16 KiB]
Downloaded 529 times

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:41 am 

Randy,

Thank for the additional information and the renderings. The front building reminds one of the Art Deco UP Las Vegas depot.
Image linked from the Union Pacific's website page Depots

Sorry for spilling the beans. I found a posting on the NGDF that had the link to the newspaper article. I prepared the aerial image showing the locations. And while I was doing that Dan Markoff made a post.

Then I thought I'd share the basic information over here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:28 pm 

Randy Hees wrote:
At the same time, as part of the Interstate 11 interchange project at Railroad Pass, we are getting a new bridge across the freeway to reconnect to the Boulder City branch at Henderson, extending our ride, and reconnecting our track to the general system.

This is awesome good news. One question though-is there any chance of extending the ride to Vegas and having a boarding area there? It would tap into the market of visitors who don't rent a car but might be inclined to take a train ride to boulder city.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:44 pm 

Congratulations!
With things like a bridge across an interstate having funds, I assume Nevada is kicking in substantial bucks here. IRM should put in for a bridge, Visitor Center, and a turntable.
O yea, were in Illinois, who is having trouble with emergency funding for the non existent State budget. Talked to my doctor the other day and he said payments for his services to State of IL covered patients was about 16 months in arrears.
May be we can move to Nevada.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:47 pm 

Randy,

Does the existing bike path (that runs adjacent to the railroad between Yucca St and Railroad Pass) connect with the path that runs on the old railroad grade down to the dam? (I just don't know the top end of that path.) It might be a cool museum/Boulder City attraction to run a bike/rider shuttle down to the dam, so visitors could ride the dam railroad grade through the tunnels one way all the way from the museum.

DJS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Trying to answer all the questions posed...

No, Nevada doesn't have extra funds, and hasn't for some time. Our museum is still one staff down due to mid 2000's cuts. We have a mandate to cover a significant portion of our costs, which we do. These funds were from Tourism, our parent, and come from a statewide room tax. They are almost certainly a one time fund source. Receipts were up this year, and some of those funds were shared with the museum side. These funds are only for planning, primary for construction drawings. To build the buildings we will have to make a public appeal.

The funding for the I-11 bridge are coming from Federal funds for the interchange project, and the bridge included because the new freeway would cut our right of way.

The current bike path does not come into the museum, or into Boulder City. Our project makes that connection while also creating a park environment within our site. The I-11 interchange project also includes a bike/ped bridge, to connect bike paths on the south side of Henderson with the existing bike paths from the north side. Collectively, the I-11 bike path bridge and our bike path project will complete several significant regional connections.

The project is a partnership with the City of Boulder City, without who's support this wouldn't be happening. It is a great thing to be part of your community.

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway